Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Commuting question

Commuting question

Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Default Commuting question

I have interviews for Hutt, Welly and Kenepuru hospital. We want to be on the kapiti coast (possibly paraparaumu) as my sister will be helping with childcare and she lives in Pukerua bay.

Could any one advise on driving times to these hospitals in particular Hutt hospital. I had a look on google earth and couldnt see a very direct route!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:52 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting question

Best way from Paraparam, or anywhere on the Kapiti Coast, to the Hutt Valley is over Route 58 which starts in Whitby and emerges between Upper Hutt and Lower Hutt on SH2. Commutes here are never very long, but saying that, Paraparam is a long way out...
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
I have interviews for Hutt, Welly and Kenepuru hospital. We want to be on the kapiti coast (possibly paraparaumu) as my sister will be helping with childcare and she lives in Pukerua bay.

Could any one advise on driving times to these hospitals in particular Hutt hospital. I had a look on google earth and couldnt see a very direct route!
From the Kapiti Coast, i would say...

Hutt - 45-50mins
Kenepuru - 20-30mins
Welly - 60-75mins
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:18 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Live within walking distance so when the big one hits you'll still be able to get to work.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:39 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Live within walking distance so when the big one hits you'll still be able to get to work.
Oh yes absolutely. After all, New Zealand is the only country in the world that has earthquakes.

Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:30 am

That, of course, is assuming that the hospital is still standing. Wellington is probably more at risk in the short term from flooding and cyclones http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~glaive/...es/cyclone.htm
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:07 am
Maz

That, of course, is assuming that the hospital is still standing. Wellington is probably more at risk in the short term from flooding and cyclones http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~glaive/...es/cyclone.htm
blah blah blah. Nerine, I feel really sorry for you. You are obsessed with putting down New Zealand. Please, just get over it, and yourself. Hell, I used to live in the US Midwest. Tornadoes happen there, the horror! So why don't you just go over to the Trailer Park / US forum and start bashing the US Midwest for having dangerous weather. Oh, and while you're at it, have a go on the MBTTUK forum as well. After all, there was that awful weather in 1987 - the hurricane - that hit the southeast. Not to mention that a fault line intersects the Channel Tunnel. And London. So you have your work cut out for you. Off you trot!

Last edited by Maz; Jan 1st 2008 at 4:11 am.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Will you two just put each other on IGNORE! I'm sick to the back teeth of coming on here and reading about you two having pops at each other. If you want to bitch with each other, PM one another and stop showing yourselves up!

It's childish and downright pathetic! Grow up and stop hacking people's threads.

Sorry to the OP for jumping in and sorry I can't help you out living in Auckland but hope someone comes on and helps you out.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:29 am

Excuse me but I have both Maz and Phil01 on ignore for some time now so I don't have the faintest idea of what either of them are saying, nor do I wish to.

The OP may be interested to know that a few people have been discussing emergency planning for Wellington and Auckland on the "Uk to Nz to Oz to ??" thread on the Australia board. It's something I know quite a bit about and still have an interest in.

I've made very valid point that medical workers should be close to work in the event of a major disaster in Wellington, people who live there will expect them to be able to get to work & be able to respond quickly should the worst happen. There is also an issue surrounding the stability of buildings that emergency response personnel use.

Maybe this wasn't not the best thread to use to bring up the topic so my apologies to the OP for that. But it is really not my fault if other people use it as a chance to have a bitch .
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

'Tis true about the big one. One does need to think carefully about how to balance the risk of the inevitable with just getting on with living.

But risk is everywhere.
Personally I can't imagine living back in the UK with a real threat of terrorism, or god forbid a nuclear war at some future point.

And those nuclear power stations and reprocessing plants with potential leaks and the ghastly radio-active waste stored somewhere in England for thousands of years.

And still manufacturing nuclear weapons not far from London.

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Jan 1st 2008 at 8:26 am. Reason: just an s
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:45 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I think that each and every one of us who takes the time and trouble to post on here is offering something: be it a good experience; mediocre; bad or the worst experience ever. It is still your view on the subject and that is important
And thank you to everyone who does that.
Where it falls apart it where it becomes personal.
Your opinion is always valid but please do not start making personal remarks as that is not in anyone's best interest.
Keep it objective and we all benfit: make it personal and it does not benefit anyone
Karen
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:56 am

Thanks. I've sent Maz a pm, hopefully things will be more peaceful from now on .
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

Thanks for the replies a mixed bag to say the least! One thing i hadnt really considered was the possibility of a major earth quake, something to consider before we go.

Commuting to the Hutt hospital may be an option after all.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

carriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nice

Excuse me but I have both Maz and Phil01 on ignore for some time now so I don't have the faintest idea of what either of them are saying, nor do I wish to.

The OP may be interested to know that a few people have been discussing emergency planning for Wellington and Auckland on the "Uk to Nz to Oz to ??" thread on the Australia board. It's something I know quite a bit about and still have an interest in.

I've made very valid point that medical workers should be close to work in the event of a major disaster in Wellington, people who live there will expect them to be able to get to work & be able to respond quickly should the worst happen. There is also an issue surrounding the stability of buildings that emergency response personnel use.

Maybe this wasn't not the best thread to use to bring up the topic so my apologies to the OP for that. But it is really not my fault if other people use it as a chance to have a bitch .

This really really made me chuckle as a nurse in ED, i live 10 mins away from work for the sole purpose in the event of a major incident that I can rush back to work to save humanity...perhaps we should all just be housed in prefabricated buildings on site. When the Quake hit Gisbourne the other week we were all on standby...even in Welly to receive casualties as it was assumed that there would be too much damage to the local hospital to manage mass casaulties.
Getting back to the question, I know a few peops that commute from the Kapiti coast, its managable because they dont work full time and often sleep over in Welly so wouldnt like to think what it would be like with full time hours and the shift times. Earlies start at 0700 and lates finish 2300...late hours to be travelling back up there. Please message me if you want any more info on these hospitals, which speciality are you?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:13 pm
Maz

Don't quite understand how you were able to send me a PM then. You might not get my reply. And of course you can't see this anyway, so there's really no point in typing it, what a waste!

Then take me off ignore so you can see I was pointing out the very pointed omissions in your post.

Thanks for the replies a mixed bag to say the least! One thing i hadnt really considered was the possibility of a major earth quake, something to consider before we go.
Being in the Pacific Ring of Fire does have its downsides. Ask people all down the western coast of the Americas continents, and Japan, and the eastern parts of Asia, etc. etc.

Commuting to the Hutt hospital may be an option after all.
Yep Route 58 isn't too bad, but there again I've not commuted along it. I hop on the train into Wellington for my commute. I think there's are only one, maybe two, passing lanes in each direction, though, once you get past (let's see if I can remember how to spell this) Pauatahanui (was that right?). Between SH1 and the roundabout at Pauatahanui you wind through Whitby's coastal road and through Golden Gate. It's not bad once you get used to it, but they really do mean dropping down to 35 when they say it. Some very sharp bends on that road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.