Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming over next week

Coming over next week

Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice
Default Coming over next week

Hello all.
Posted a few before and have got some good advice.

It seems to be have been ages in the planning, but we are eventually coming over for a look see next week !! Actually our honeymoon.
Quite excited now

Flying into C'church on Wed morning, picking up the Spaceship thursday and then dropping it off in Auck the following Sat, going up to Russell for 4 days and then back to Auck before flying home - not long enough i know, but all we've got.
Apart from Kaikoura to look at the whales (wedding present), and Tongariro in some form, not really got much of a plan for the first 10 days - hints and tips ??
We're avoiding the south of the SI, as I've seen mountains and glaciers before - before you all start berating me - we'll get round to it when we move there.
Seen elsewhere on a thread that people are usually willing to meet up for a chat about what its really like - that would be really useful if anyone will.
Send me a PM, and we'll discuss - give you my mobile no or vice versa.
No wierdo axe weilding types, please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Ta

D&S
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming over next week

[QUOTE=daveandsarah;7995060]No wierdo axe weilding types, please./QUOTE]

No weirdo's? On BE? Good luck with that!

No, seriously, I've moved this in to the main forum in the hope that more people will see it. Would be an idea (when you have time) to share the dates and the towns you hope to be in around those dates, so people can respond to meet up if they so choose.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

if your in Chch then a drive to Akaroa is well worth a visit. Also a wee break in Hamner springs is good both only about an hours drive from Chch

4 days in Russell ...... went up there last year dont know if you could spend 4 days there though, but plenty to see around there.

If your up that far a trip to Cape Regina is amazing if you have time
Attached Thumbnails Coming over next week-waitangi.jpg   Coming over next week-cape-reigna-very-top-nz.jpg  
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe spend a few days in Christchurch, go to Willowbank wildlife centre if you want to see some native wildlife. The Antarctic centre is good as well if that interests you.
As Alanmacc said, maybe spend a night at Hamner Springs relaxing on the way up to Kaikoura.
You could then go north straight onto the ferry or west over to Nelson and Abel Tasman national park.
On the north island: Wellington, Napier, Rotorua. You'll pass Tongariro as you go north depending on which route you take.
It depends on what you like doing-I've tried to avoid mentioning mountains
Maybe have a look at what's at those places and decide from there?
Ten days isn't very long. Do you see this as part recce as well as honeymoon?
Anyway good luck with the planning and the honeymoon, no wonder you're excited
Sue
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Rangiora north of chch. Hanmer Springs is more than one hour from Chch and is not on the way to Kaikoura (sp). Its 80 km from Rangiora to Culverdon and Hanmer is beyond that.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alanmacc
if your in Chch then a drive to Akaroa is well worth a visit. Also a wee break in Hamner springs is good both only about an hours drive from Chch

4 days in Russell ...... went up there last year dont know if you could spend 4 days there though, but plenty to see around there.

If your up that far a trip to Cape Regina is amazing if you have time
I agree 4 whole days in Russell may be too many but you could always check out Paihia and Keri Keri. Both very nice places.

have a super trip xxx
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

4 days in Russel is as a base - as it's our honeymoon, thought we'd best have a few nights somewhere nice and comfortable instead of the van !!Hoping to get out on/in the water. trip to see the big trees, and up to the north cape maybe too.
So much to do , and so little time...
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Firstly congratulations

we are excited also as we fly out on the 22nd this is a recce with a view to emigrating in april 2010

Do i take it you will be back before we go? if so please let me know of any ideas or places you visited, good luck with the trip
alison
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Forshy

We don't come back until the 30th so we'll probably cross in-country somewhere.
If you haven't already, get yourself a Lonely Planet/Rough Guide, they're pretty much comprehensive.
Or ask the good people of this site, I'm sure there are lots of places they will recommend - we're only going by friends suggestions and research.

Have fun too

D&S
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of suggestions: You could call in on Goat Island, nr Leigh on the way to or from the Bay of Islands. It's teeming with fish & you can either go snorkelling with them or take a trip on the glass bottom boat. Actually, you could do both .
Also worth a look is a daytrip to Tiritiri Matangi. It's an island reserve in the Hauraki Gulf & has had various endangered native birds reintroduced. There are takahe's, stitchbirds, bellbirds, kiwis, little blue penguins among others. You need to take a packed lunch with you. You don't have to lug it around though as a trailer takes everything upto the lighthouse. I'd advise taking the guided tour, it's only $5 extra. I think the ferry runs from wednesday to sunday & go from Auckland CBD & Gulf Harbour. More details from www.360discovery.co.nz Have a great time whatever you end up doing.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

CAN2NZ
I live in Rangiora north of chch. Hanmer Springs is more than one hour from Chch and is not on the way to Kaikoura (sp). Its 80 km from Rangiora to Culverdon and Hanmer is beyond that.
You're right, Hamner is not on the way to Kaikoura but it is not so far out of the way that it's impossible to fit in. It would only mean driving an extra 80km or 48miles to fit in a visit. I was thinking of the two of them being on honeymoon...a day in the hot springs... Romance and all that Assuming it's not too busy of course
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louloumama
I agree 4 whole days in Russell may be too many but you could always check out Paihia and Keri Keri. Both very nice places.

have a super trip xxx
You have to visit Waitangi - it's a long drive round via the car ferry from Russell or a short passenger ferry across to it. The Settlers' Museum in Russell is very good - only need to visit one of those. If you are hoping for romantic meals in restaurants in Russell, do book ahead for dinner - it seems to be essential in many places to reserve for dinner in NZ.

We never got to the 'Big Trees' as they were much further away than we thought.

The caves at Waitomo are quite romantic - I prefer Ruakuri one over the main one you can get a double ticket for both.

I would say don't try to cram too much in 10 days or you'll end up needing another holiday when you get back. We had 3 nights in Russell on our tour.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
Apart from Kaikoura to look at the whales (wedding present), and Tongariro in some form, not really got much of a plan for the first 10 days - hints and tips ??
Kaikoura - we booked whalewatching but cancelled when they advised sea very rough = certain sickness...it is often rough even in January so bear that in mind i.e. that it could be cancelled or you may not feel like doing it.

At Tongariro if you want a night of romantic luxury, you could do worse than
www.thechateau.co.nz but do reserve your dinner table in advance as very limited food options in Whakapapa and no supermarkets.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Am assuming it,s a motorhome u have hired ? We are in Christchurch if u need somewhere to park up for yor first night our gear from the UK hasn,t arrived yet but we have the basics, hot shower,hot food ect you are more than welcome

Neil
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:32 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
4 days in Russel is as a base - as it's our honeymoon, thought we'd best have a few nights somewhere nice and comfortable instead of the van !!Hoping to get out on/in the water. trip to see the big trees, and up to the north cape maybe too.
So much to do , and so little time...
If you get the chance (and budget allows!) the flights by 'Saltair', office in Paihia, is really worth doing!! Fly over Bay of Islands, up East coast to Cape, do some sand boarding (if weather ok) and fly back down western coast....absolutely awesome!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.