Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question

Citizenship Question

Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship Question

I'm in the process of applying for Citizenship for myself and my daughter and am stuck on the part about Parental consent!

Obviously i can sign it but it insists on BOTH parents signing and her father is in the UK! The notes go on about if you have sole legal guardianship then only one need sign it (i have this) BUT it says they require a court order refering to it, which i don't have as under UK law i don't need this!

Has anyone had this problem?

I'm going to try calling them next week to find a way round this problem but just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this before?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:49 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question

Do you have your letter of consent for removal from the jurisdiction? Surely that is enough as the original visa application states a court order for this but also states whatever is appropriate in the country of jurisdiction. In the UK a letter of consent signed by the other parent and signed by a Notary Public is sufficient for the legal removal. I would have thought this would have been sufficient for the citizenship as well. I would be interested to know myself as we will be in the same situation in a few years with my kids.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I thought the same but i called them today and they said that if he's on the birth certificate then he still needs to complete the form, sign it and either send his birth certificate/passport or get it certified at the London office!!!

Sh*t
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

TeamEmbo,

I don't know your individual circumstances, but my partner was going to become my daughter's guardian and boy, do i wish we'd done it now!

According to the solicitor it's an easy enough process to go through and apply, your ex is notified and given 3 months to object. We were told that in our case he wouldn't have any grounds to object, but, of course, we want to get the application in before she's 16 and there isn't time for this.

Maybe this would be an option for you?

To be fair to my ex, i sent an email with a link to the pages and what he needed to do and he wrote back the next day saying he'd hoped he'd done it all correctly and it had been sent!

I'm hoping he doesn't need to either send his passport, birth certificate over or get them certified in London, but i'm going to wait until i get assigned an officer and see what they say.