Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship By Descent To Full Citizenship

Citizenship By Descent To Full Citizenship

Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Citizenship By Descent To Full Citizenship

So ...

I decided to look in to getting the kids' their full NZ Citizenship as they currently have Citizenship By Descent - as recommended by the wonderful JAJ!

The following email confused me:-

"New Zealand citizens by descent have all the rights of New Zealand citizenship except that they cannot pass their citizenship on to any of their children who are born overseas.

Citizens by descent can receive a grant of New Zealand citizenship providing they meet all the normal requirements of the grant application process.

If you wish to upgrade from Citizenship by Descent to a Grant of Citizenship, you are required to meet all the requirements of the standard grant of New Zealand Citizenship.

Ordinary Residence Requirement:

For Applicants under 16, they must be currently residing in New Zealand and there must be the intention to remain residing in New Zealand.

For Applicants 16 and over, they must meet all the requirements of the Standard Grant of New Zealand Citizenship - this includes ordinary residency.

The requirements for a grant of New Zealand Citizenship are that the applicant:

* Intends, if granted New Zealand citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand
* Is able to understand and speak English
* Is of good character
* Understands the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship
* Is a permanent resident of New Zealand

Applicants must have resided in New Zealand for three years. If meeting the three year requirement takes the applicant past 21 April 2010, this will then come under the five year rule, and applicants must have resided in New Zealand for five years.

Upgraded applicants are not required to attend a citizenship ceremony; their certificates will be posted to them.

All applicants are required to complete the Application for New Zealand Citizenship form, and may be required to send in documents."

So I rang them.

We arrived in NZ on the 9th April 2007 to live. This is perhaps why I was confused!

It seems the younger three kids aged 6, 10 and 14 can have full NZ Citizenship granted immediately upon completion of the correct forms and correct fee. But, the 17 year old has to wait until she has been here 3 years - on the 9th April 2010. If we don't apply for her between then and the 21st April 2010 she has to wait another 2 years! So that's a no brainer.

I, on the other hand, still have to wait the full 5 years. It's not very clear or simple or is it just me?

Anway - thought it might be of use to others in the same boat.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:33 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship By Descent To Full Citizenship

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It's not very clear or simple or is it just me?
Read your post hun, as it seems crystal clear to me from what you wrote anyway!

Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Matewx
Read your post hun, as it seems crystal clear to me from what you wrote anyway!

Yes - thank you for your input! When I read it back before I posted this thread I could see it made sense - but only after I'd rung them. I think I was confused because it was one rule for 3 of the kids and another for the eldest! My thoughts were if any other BE user was as I am, it could be helpful!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:41 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AmLoolah...thanks for posting this info, our kids have citizenship by descent, and whilst they have decided to remain in UK at the moment this will be good to pass on to them.

It took me a couple of reads to get it sorted in my head!.....can understand why you needed to phone!!

Thanks again B x
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:43 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I had to give MY input!! you know me now!!!

Ok now MnB is being blonde too...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:01 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
I had to give MY input!! you know me now!!!

Ok now MnB is being blonde too...
have always been blonde ......so am prone to a few 'moments' luckily!!!
oh ...and Matewx your input always welcome, lol x

Last edited by MnB; Oct 13th 2009 at 11:03 am.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

In these cases, JAJ is your friend.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
In these cases, JAJ is your friend.
He is indeed - have just been filling the Husband in on the email and subsequent phonecall - to which his response was "None of my daughters will ever fall pregnant ... "

When I pointed out we only had a week's window for the 17 year old to get full citizenship before waiting another 2 years to enable her to pass on full citizenship to a child born to a non-Kiwi outside of NZ - well you can just imagine his response ...

I put some kind of "made up on the spot" theory about "if she wanted to go to Uni in OZ she'd need to be a full citizen to pay Domestic Uni fees .."

He liked that version better - it doesn't matter if it's true or not .......
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:32 am
MnB

He is indeed - have just been filling the Husband in on the email and subsequent phonecall - to which his response was "None of my daughters will ever fall pregnant ... "

When I pointed out we only had a week's window for the 17 year old to get full citizenship before waiting another 2 years to enable her to pass on full citizenship to a child born to a non-Kiwi outside of NZ - well you can just imagine his response ...

I put some kind of "made up on the spot" theory about "if she wanted to go to Uni in OZ she'd need to be a full citizen to pay Domestic Uni fees .."

He liked that version better - it doesn't matter if it's true or not .......

Dads & daughters .....eh?! Men & saving money....always a good one to use to get the message across!!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:46 pm
Live from CHCH...

have just been filling the Husband in on the email and subsequent phonecall - to which his response was "None of my daughters will ever fall pregnant ... "
ahaha dads!!

My former work mate was SO stressed when his girl started taking the pills... I (Yes ME!!) had to explain that the pill is not only for contraception... lol

Then I reminded him, that whether he wants it or not, she will do it anyway!!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My thoughts were if any other BE user was as I am,!
There is only one Loolah.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:22 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Loolah - great to see your post. Can I ask how much is the cost of applying for the grant?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Thanks Loolah - great to see your post. Can I ask how much is the cost of applying for the grant?
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz