Citizenship

Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:14 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship

What are the rules of getting citizenship in NZ? Is there some period of time you must have resided in the country as a requirement? In most countries that period is 5 years after which you are entitled to citizenship.

Is it easier for a citizen of another Commonwealth-country to get a citizenship of NZ than of people coming from other countries? I also have heard that the age-limit is 45 years after which NZ only accepts new immigrants only if they have family in the country.

I'm not planning to become a citizen of your country but these questions of citizenship-procedures vary so much from one country to another that they are interesting to compare.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:03 am
Banned

M-Squared will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Citizenship

Must have been a permanent resident for a minimum of 5 years. It used to be 3 but they increased it to try to stem the flow of people hopping over the Tasman to Australia as soon as they got their Kiwi passport. Must be physically resident for a minimum of 180 days per year, too
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Citizenship

You may find reading the NZIS & the Internal Affairs websites on the subject of citizenship good reading if you want to know about the rules and regs. It is quite easy to follow.