Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch Rebuild

Christchurch Rebuild

Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

r1hale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christchurch Rebuild

Hi all I am new to the site and am looking for some advice. I am a carpenter in the UK and I am looking at moving to New Zealand to work on the Christchurch Rebuild. I am a single lad aged 23 and have been offered a contract with a recruitment agency. My query is that due to the nature of the contract I will be tied in for 3 months with the agency although they have said they can provide me with plenty of work. Would I be better off just turning up in New Zealand ( with a working visa) and taking my chances or sticking to the safety of the agency. Would be grateful for any advice. Cheers
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:13 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all
Default Re: Christchurch Rebuild

Not that I know much about that situation but 3 months isn't that long and saves you the hassle of trying to find work while you find your feet in a new country.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Skynky, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to suss out if anyone had experience with the agencies out there.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:28 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

You could start the 3 month contract and then look on here for more work:

http://www.tradestaff.co.nz/

There's a lot about at the moment so you should be fine.

Good luck! You'll have a great time!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by r1hale
Hi all I am new to the site and am looking for some advice. I am a carpenter in the UK and I am looking at moving to New Zealand to work on the Christchurch Rebuild.
I am a single lad aged 23 and have been offered a contract with a recruitment agency. My query is that due to the nature of the contract I will be tied in for 3 months with the agency although they have said they can provide me with plenty of work
Please note, that any work visa will match the length of the contract time offered. So 3 months = a 3 month visa. A one year contract = a one year work visa. A work visa is employer specific so you are 'tied' to the employer anyway. If you change employers you need to let NZIS know this and they will decide whether you need to apply for a new work visa or can have a variance of conditions.

Would I be better off just turning up in New Zealand ( with a working visa) and taking my chances or sticking to the safety of the agency. Would be grateful for any advice. Cheers
It is job offer first, then a working visa. No job = no work visa. You would need to enter either as a visitor or utilise a working holiday visa option which does allow you to work for part of the duration of the working holiday visa. You need to show funds for a working holiday visa.

Because of the Christchurch rebuild NZIS do facilitate temporary work visas or permits to help NZ employers get the manpower they need.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, thats really helpful information, i should have made clear i am on a working holiday visa, that was the recommended way of doing it by the agency. I was also wondering how hard it would be to extend this once i am there if this is possible?
Many thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:02 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, thats really helpful information, i should have made clear i am on a working holiday visa, that was the recommended way of doing it by the agency. I was also wondering how hard it would be to extend this once i am there if this is possible?
Many thanks
You can go for a one year working hol visa and you can extend this when you reach the end but you will have to do a medical, xray and police certificate so you'll have to budget for that. You could apply for a two year WHV but you are still only allowed to work for that for one out of the two years. I think it's designed so that you can work for one year and then stay in NZ to travel, holiday etc.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:10 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would check out the restrictions on work on the WHV

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/7513
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:07 am
`

Many thanks
Sorry to be thick. Do you mean you are in the UK and have applied for and been given a working holiday visa.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is also a carpenter and worked for just one firm via an agency. He was with the agency and same construction company for over a year and now works for the construction firm on a permanent contract. Only one view of agency work but it worked for him
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Hi chippy,
Thanks for that, I think I am going to go with the agency, just gives me a bit of security for when I arrive, and they help with accommodation, bank account ect

Just out of intrest, what agency was he with?

Sorry bevs
Yer I'm still in the uk and have been given a whv
I'm flying out at the end of feb

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 31st 2013 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:38 pm
`

Good one Chippy. Looks like r1hale is good to go.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Hi mrsfrchan, thanks for the link, yer I do plan on doing a bit of traveling whilst in there aswell, just hope I can get work off other companies after the 3 months

Thanks for all the comments/info guys it's a great help..... Can't wait to get out there
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

mrs_mrs M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi R1hale! Just wondered if you accepted the 3 month contract with the agency? My husband is a joiner and has just accepted a job in Christchurch (6 month contract) with One World Resourcing. We're also travelling on a WHV, thought that the best option, gives us a chance see if we like it before we pay for a the 'proper' visa.