Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit equivalent in NZ?

Child Benefit equivalent in NZ?

Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about
Default Child Benefit equivalent in NZ?

Is there an equivalent, in NZ, of child benefit which all families with children of school age recieve in Europe which is not dependant on family income?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit equivalent in NZ?

No
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Justcol
No
Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:54 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sure there is something you can claim, not quite sure yet but hoping to do some research once all this blinkin paperwork for the container is complete. Why I have to repeat what the shippers already know for MAF and NZ Customs is beyond me and trying to read the packers writing on the packing inventory is giving me such a head.
If/when I find anything out will let you know, hopefully in the mean time someone will come along and tell us both.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
sure there is something you can claim, not quite sure yet but hoping to do some research once all this blinkin paperwork for the container is complete. Why I have to repeat what the shippers already know for MAF and NZ Customs is beyond me and trying to read the packers writing on the packing inventory is giving me such a head.
If/when I find anything out will let you know, hopefully in the mean time someone will come along and tell us both.
That would be interesting, our stuff is en route due in 2 weeks so gearing up for a few days stress in preparation
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Working family tax credits is the equivalent, but it is means tested. http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...what-is-wfftc/

Mrs F, what paperwork are you doing? Why isn't the company you used doing all the paperwork? We didn't have to do anything this end other than show the Pickfords office in Wellington our passports and pay the tax on the brand new trampoline!
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Working family tax credits is the equivalent, but it is means tested. http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...what-is-wfftc/
I think it's a pretty unfair system.
You can be a hard-working couple with a couple of kids, a mortgage or rent, no savings, but if you earn on or above a certain figure you get nothing.
On the other hand you could be mortgage/rent free, with a large wedge in the bank with 1 earning 50 or 60k year (which would be more than enough) or both working part time & also get a large tax credit payment.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:23 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Mrs F, what paperwork are you doing? Why isn't the company you used doing all the paperwork? We didn't have to do anything this end other than show the Pickfords office in Wellington our passports and pay the tax on the brand new trampoline!
Having to go through if there is medicines, bikes, garden stuff, tools etc say if its been cleaned and how. Christmas stuff and then let know which boxes the stuff is in for inspection.
I shall be ringing them tomorrow and ask exactly why I am having to do it and not themselves seeing as they were responsible for the packing.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Having to go through if there is medicines, bikes, garden stuff, tools etc say if its been cleaned and how. Christmas stuff and then let know which boxes the stuff is in for inspection.
I shall be ringing them tomorrow and ask exactly why I am having to do it and not themselves seeing as they were responsible for the packing.
You have to do it as you are the owner & so responsible. They just pack. You signed the bill of lading and it's the same for this end regarding the declarations. It's all about what YOU have chosen to bring into the country.
Look at the bill of lading and see what is packed where. You have a copy. When the container is unpacked you will check your copy off against what is unloaded.

Anyhow, you simply fill out the forms and state how the stuff was cleaned.

Depending upon which shippers you used there may be a 3rd party scam type 'service fee' of $250 bucks or so. Bluddy rip off. Challenge that.

It is usual to declare any stuff considered suss. Regardless of whether it is a container of personal stuff or your suitcase or the boots you wear off the plane.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:40 am

thanks Bev, yeh declaring anything and everything think best policy that way don't miss anything they could pull me up on.

LINBIN - that link that Moso posted was quite informative, apart from it looks like we won't be getting anything
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys, Bevs you're right. There was a form. OH remembers filling out something from the UK. I was already in NZ so just remember the removal guys turning up and having to tick off the zillion boxes and then unpacking them all...
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:19 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
I think it's a pretty unfair system.
You can be a hard-working couple with a couple of kids, a mortgage or rent, no savings, but if you earn on or above a certain figure you get nothing.
On the other hand you could be mortgage/rent free, with a large wedge in the bank with 1 earning 50 or 60k year (which would be more than enough) or both working part time & also get a large tax credit payment.
or you could not have children pay just as much tax and get bugger all....

Shouldn't i get a tax break for not adding to the already over populated world?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin

Hey, that's a great idea.Tax breaks for the child-free
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Shouldn't I get a tax break for not adding to the already over populated world?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:12 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Love it, if only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.