Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ChCh earthquake people - How is it dealing with insurers and getting repairs done ?

ChCh earthquake people - How is it dealing with insurers and getting repairs done ?

Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all
Default ChCh earthquake people - How is it dealing with insurers and getting repairs done ?

Originally Posted by welshrgeordie
Great thanks
I apologise if this has been covered already, but this is one for the ChCh earthquake people.

Background: my (now elderly) parents have lived in ChCh's eastern suburbs for 45 years. Their home had sustained a lot of damage in the quakes and aftershocks.

They have just heard from their insurance company (SIS) that they cannot start doing any repair work until late 2015 at the earliest.

All I want to know from others that have been through all this, is this a normal response from their insurers? Their damage bill is estimated at almost $300k and they have been having ongoing problems with sewage in their place, issues around properly securing their property etc.

I live over here in Australia so haven't been too involved with their affairs other than updates etc.

A stressful time for many, but what sort of responses have other posters had with dealing with their insurers?

Appreciate any feedback.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
I apologise if this has been covered already, but this is one for the ChCh earthquake people.

Background: my (now elderly) parents have lived in ChCh's eastern suburbs for 45 years. Their home had sustained a lot of damage in the quakes and aftershocks.

They have just heard from their insurance company (SIS) that they cannot start doing any repair work until late 2015 at the earliest.

All I want to know from others that have been through all this, is this a normal response from their insurers? Their damage bill is estimated at almost $300k and they have been having ongoing problems with sewage in their place, issues around properly securing their property etc.

I live over here in Australia so haven't been too involved with their affairs other than updates etc.

A stressful time for many, but what sort of responses have other posters had with dealing with their insurers?

Appreciate any feedback.
Hi, we're not currently living in Chch, but still have a house there - we've bugged out to Melbourne cos we'll probably be old and grey by the time our house gets fixed.

Sorry, but unfortunately your parents experience is far from unique. There are a number of people, particularly in the east and if they're on TC3 land, who will be waiting quite some time. The are still foundation issues, drilling issues and building guidelines to be finalized before anything gets started. The timeframes for these things seem to move by the day. Our insurance has been fairly good, as far as it goes, but we still dont actually know whether we're a repair or rebuild, what foundations we need, or when any work is likely to start.

Hope they get some answers soon. It is very frustrating not knowing what's going to happen, especially for older people too.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi, we're not currently living in Chch, but still have a house there - we've bugged out to Melbourne cos we'll probably be old and grey by the time our house gets fixed.

Sorry, but unfortunately your parents experience is far from unique. There are a number of people, particularly in the east and if they're on TC3 land, who will be waiting quite some time. The are still foundation issues, drilling issues and building guidelines to be finalized before anything gets started. The timeframes for these things seem to move by the day. Our insurance has been fairly good, as far as it goes, but we still dont actually know whether we're a repair or rebuild, what foundations we need, or when any work is likely to start.

Hope they get some answers soon. It is very frustrating not knowing what's going to happen, especially for older people too.
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Also I wish you all the best for your eventual repair/rebuild.

Do you or anyone else know of any discussion forums, other than BE where people can share stories about their 'cases' or dramas dealing with EQC and insurers? I think it'd give them some reassurance they are not alone, plus get a better understanding of updates and whether they're getting a fair deal or not.

I am surprised my mother hasn't been hospitalized. Mid last year I lost my only sibling in a tragic accident - this, in addition to the earthquake mess, has been extremely stressful for our family. Thanks again.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Also I wish you all the best for your eventual repair/rebuild.

Do you or anyone else know of any discussion forums, other than BE where people can share stories about their 'cases' or dramas dealing with EQC and insurers? I think it'd give them some reassurance they are not alone, plus get a better understanding of updates and whether they're getting a fair deal or not.

I am surprised my mother hasn't been hospitalized. Mid last year I lost my only sibling in a tragic accident - this, in addition to the earthquake mess, has been extremely stressful for our family. Thanks again.
Only one that springs to mind atm is https://www.facebook.com/TC3ChristchurchBlueZone on facebook. There may be info or contacts on there though that could be of use? There are also a couple of meetings coming up. Will try and find details.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

http://cera.govt.nz/residential-gree...unity-meetings

Above link gives details of the community meetings for people living in green zone. Opportunity to talk with Council, insurers, EQC, CERA and Building and Housing.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: ChCh earthquake people - How is it dealing with insurers and getting repairs done

Hi Greenman.

Sorry to read that about your parents place .

As it is an important topic, I've moved it into a thread of it's own.

If you'd like the thread title altered , let me know.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ChCh earthquake people - How is it dealing with insurers and getting repairs done

The Facebook Earthquake Commission page is also a bit of a vent page. It's supposed to be an information site but unfortunately the EQC doesn't respond much. It's as good a place as any for gossip, rumor and some good info though.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:12 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

i'd just give them (EQC)a ring direct. They have been honest and as helpful as possible with us, doesnt mean anthing will happen any quicker though. Although at that value it's out of EQC hands and up to the insurance company. Chase them, it has worked with some people i know..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

A huge huge thanks guys. I've began to realise how much stress this is causing my parents (and no doubt thousands of others). I decided I need to help Mum and Dad out, especially after the response they recently got from their insurer.

At the very least, they need to know as many facts as possible and share stories - sharing with others will help.

I'll check the links out
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A huge huge thanks guys. I've began to realise how much stress this is causing my parents (and no doubt thousands of others). I decided I need to help Mum and Dad out, especially after the response they recently got from their insurer.

At the very least, they need to know as many facts as possible and share stories - sharing with others will help.

I'll check the links out
Yes. Yes and more Yes !!