Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Originally Posted by Nerine
No, I invited him in for a drink
Diet Coke was it..............
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:33 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niseysOH
I was referring to the belt that holds his trousers up and prevents you from wearing them but your mind was obviously on other things..........
It was you who made the Freudian slip.....big boy

fits you perfectly........ (pun intended)
Only because you warmed it up first

Amazed you found the time to get married......... and to a 'man'....jeeezz must go against the grain of feminism that runs through you and the 'they're all out to demean females' belief you seem to have.
Yeah, I had a busy schedule that day but I thought..."hey what the hell! let's give it a go"

The line 'you know where the airport is' can be trotted out here so easily but rarely have i read posts that as clearly point out you need to bugger off to OZ as soon as possible. You clearly have issues with NZ that most here just don't see or agree with so go and see if femininity nirvana awaits across the Tazmin.....i'll wager a few quid or even some dollars, you'll be bemoaning the man with a can in hand soon enough......
Too right mate and he'd better have a cold can for me too. It's bluddy hot in Oz.

By the way our surname is not Nisey and while i realise you're attempting to be witty, i'm not actually Mr Nisey.... but if you feel happier using your pet name for me then so be it............maybe it'll would be ok to call you 'affected person' or something similar?
Ok thank you...Mr Nisey it is then....it makes you so sound so much more human
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:35 am

Diet Coke was it..............
only if he got his kit off first.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

You're clearly in this purely to stir things up and while i normally enjoy the banter of such things your's would just seem to be a parting shot against somewhere you just don't fit in...

Is the women in advertising just one of a list that you feel worth bringing up as a smoke screen reason for you not fitting in......?

As said above you'll be posting soon about your issues with Australia but by then we'll thankfully not have to listen to you on here and no doubt you'll be moving on yet again.

Interesting that while i view you simply as someone to wind up here, you seem to be offending mainly women in the thread, with your views on NZ and women in general.

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 9th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:57 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

NZ Kids are in danger of growing up to think that a woman's role in society is to gratify a male. Advertisers are using overtly sexual advertising as a way of attacking political correctness because it's the "in thing" to be un-PC right now. People should get wise to it.
Now that is bollocks to the max, we don't live in some middle east country where woman are expected to serve the man and quite rightly women so. The "un-PC" adverts here are funny and taken that way. If we are to live in a PC world we would start being more similar to how Britian is at the moment.

It may be young but I'd strongly dispute that it is pure. (Isn't that another advertising construct perpetuated by the Tourism Board?) how can it be pure when there is a significant P problem and policitians are threatened when they try to legislate against boy racers?

As i've mentioned we do have that proble, the boy racer thing to me is nothing. We haven't yet got huge issues with organised crime, gangs killing each other daily or any other major issues that appears in bigger modern countries.

The amount of murder in the country is proportional to the number of people who live in it.

Have you forgotten about the drive by shooting of a toddler on the 5 May 2007 or the aged teacher who was bludgeoned to death and sexually assaulted in her classroom? How many times have you heard of children being battered to death in their own homes?
That is very true and when reports like this happen the whole of the country is shocked. But your example of the two year old being shot was purely accidental. They did not mean to kill the baby. Children being beaten around the world is a regular occurance which is hard to address.

I find the racism against Asians quite shocking in NZ.. However, I'm sure that these problems DO exist in Australia. Perhaps the difference between the two countries is they acknowledge the problems in Oz and are prepared to talk about and tackle them? My point goes back to the NZ culture of avoidance I mentioned in another thread.
Yes well either an Aussie politician points out the influx of Asians arriving in Australia is not good for Australian and must stop or they lock refugees in prison camps or not allow them to land or scores of Aussie lads hit the beaches in Sydney and beat up an immigrant that happens to be walking past. That is a great way of acknowledging there issues.

NZ refuses to admit that a problem even exists because that would damage its romantic image of itself as being a "L&P" sepia tinted land of the mid 70s. It can't see that its society is crumbling away around its ears, socially inadequate car salesmen are the least of its worries.
this problem, is this back about chauvinism ??? As I don't see any other huge issue in the papers or news. And I'm still unsure about this society crumbling around its ears
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:10 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I love about NZ - people's willingness to help each other out, the easy friendliness and sense of community, gender didn't come into it and why should it? It's what makes NZ unique in the world.
So which do you think? (a) the above statement made by you or (b) the below statement made by you?

It can't see that its society is crumbling away around its ears, socially inadequate car salesmen are the least of its worries.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:17 am

You're clearly in this purely to stir things up and while i normally enjoy the banter of such things your's would just seem to be a parting shot against somewhere you just don't fit in...
You normally enjoy the banter and you like to wind people up. I think you can't deal with the fact that you've more than met your match on this one.

Is the women in advertising just one of a list that you feel worth bringing up as a smoke screen reason for you not fitting in......?

As said above you'll be posting soon about your issues with Australia but by then we'll thankfully not have to listen to you on here and no doubt you'll be moving on yet again.
I'll be quite sad to sever my last links with NZ, I've enjoyed living in the country, it has a lot going for it. I doubt that the sense of community will be as strong in Oz. But life is what you make of it But moving on yet again?!! not likely mate! next one after this will be a retirement village.

Interesting that while i view you simply as someone to wind up here, you seem to be offending mainly women in the thread, with your views on NZ and women in general.
Funny, was just thinking the same about you.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
So which do you think? (a) the above statement made by you or (b) the below statement made by you?
Both, the whole of NZ isn't populated by used car salesmen you know.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:25 am

(You need to go back and read my posts properly TeamEmbo.)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh, I think you are both from the same dye. Just play nicely with each other. No pun intended.

I have come across male chauvinism in NZ . Place Makers actually. Right annoying it was too and a bit of a shock. I was too stunned to do other than take myself off and send ole husbando in with a set of distructions. Did my head in at the time I can tell you. It had bugger to do with me as a person or a female and all to do with the blokes perception of me, my accent and my abilities as a woman.
I have had this in other places. Mostly when it comes to DIY/ home improvements, building materials type of stuff. I actually had asked of me ' when will your husband be in'?. Do me a favour.
You are OK if you want paint or a screwdriver. Go in for some heavy duty goods and it is another story. I have found this attitude frustrating. I don't knock against it. Just think it is a bit daft.

My local garage is ace. Really brilliant. There again it is not a male or female dominated business. I get good sound non-condescending service there .

Within business & professions, I find that there is an equal opportunity attitude. Balance and respect between the genders is in evidence. Not sure if the same people would translate the same into every day life. It is one thing to be in business - IT - accountant etc . Quite another when it comes to home life.

It is certainly true that males and females enjoy equal opportunity in sports which is all to the good.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Within business & professions, I find that there is an equal opportunity attitude. Balance and respect between the genders is in evidence. Not sure if the same people would translate the same into every day life. It is one thing to be in business - IT - accountant etc . Quite another when it comes to home life.

There are certainly more women in NZ who work in what we would consider typically male roles. Manual labourers, shovelling tarmac on the roads and scaffolders come to mind. It's not unusual at all to see a woman working among a gang of guys on the roads and I don't think I ever saw one woman doing that kind of work in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:51 am

Bevs, my local garage is the same too. The guy there was really happy to explain variable valve timing to me when I was having problems with my car, offered to pick it up from my home to service it too.

And I've had the same experiences as you at Bunnings, no problem when asking for a patio set for the garden but ask about wall vents for a wood burner and I was treated like some babbling idiot.

Bojangles, that's very true. It's great to see women doing that sort of work, and for the same wage that a man gets (I hope) Some of the women are partners of men in the same crew and travel around working together.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree. You do see that here. I also saw it in the UK too. Did you not? Maybe because we worked in the trades , we saw it more.

My experience in Placemakers was a bit of a shock to the ole system but ,nevertheless, a real one.
Same with a couple of guys I've had around for quotes. It is fine. No worries , as long as they understand that at the end of the day they deal with us as a pair.
As I said , it is a bit silly but hey ! life is too short to be worrying . It is frustrating sometimes though and time consuming.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:18 am

It certainly is, sometimes it takes so much longer to get something done.

I don't recall seeing many women working on the roads or on scaffolding back in the UK but I'm sure you're right, they must do. I knew a few women who run scaffolding companies (one of them had taken it over from her father, the other was in business with her husband) but I don't know if they ever worked out on site or not.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:20 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Why do say that, surely you're not implying that the Ozzie male is worse than the Kiwi one?

Are you kidding? Good Lord yes.

It's a well known fact. Kiwi men are much more sophisticated and intelligent, generally speaking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.