Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Changed my mind to NZ

Changed my mind to NZ

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changed my mind to NZ

Hi Everyone,

I was a regular on Canada forums, but have decided NZ would suit me better. Just trying to find out about work, life balance in NZ compared to UK and job prospects .
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changed my mind to NZ

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Hi Everyone,

I was a regular on Canada forums, but have decided NZ would suit me better. Just trying to find out about work, life balance in NZ compared to UK and job prospects .
Hi, lots will say that tall poppy syndrome exists here. Lots say that kiwis make you work too long, the wages are generally worse than in the UK and the cost of living can be dependent on your fiscal welfare BEFORE you arrive..unless you have a very very well paid job. By that I mean if you come over with a decent sum and you have a minimal mortgage life can be cruisy. If you have a high mortgage or high rent life can be dire living from on pay cheque to the next. Been here 4 years and we love it, being older we came over with a reasonable amount of wedge thus are motrgage free..it makes a very big difference to our view on life in NZ. I was sick of being beholden to a mortgage in the UK which took the best part of 33% of my good gross wage. I no longer have to work now..only one of us does..thus work life balance well improved..can give the kids more time.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, lots will say that tall poppy syndrome exists here. Lots say that kiwis make you work too long, the wages are generally worse than in the UK and the cost of living can be dependent on your fiscal welfare BEFORE you arrive..unless you have a very very well paid job. By that I mean if you come over with a decent sum and you have a minimal mortgage life can be cruisy. If you have a high mortgage or high rent life can be dire living from on pay cheque to the next. Been here 4 years and we love it, being older we came over with a reasonable amount of wedge thus are motrgage free..it makes a very big difference to our view on life in NZ. I was sick of being beholden to a mortgage in the UK which took the best part of 33% of my good gross wage. I no longer have to work now..only one of us does..thus work life balance well improved..can give the kids more time.
I read that average working hours are 37.9, does that sound right?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I read that average working hours are 37.9, does that sound right?

I guess so..if thats what they say..some UK folk say they are worked like dogs though!! Where are y'all going and what do you do??
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis
I guess so..if thats what they say..some UK folk say they are worked like dogs though!! Where are y'all going and what do you do??
We plan to go to Wellington or Auckland I think. I work as an Electrical Design Engineer.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

We plan to go to Wellington or Auckland I think. I work as an Electrical Design Engineer.

May I suggest you go for Wellington, less people, easier to get around and the proximity to the south island make it all that more alluring than Auckland.

Only my opinion..I am sure many will say Auckland is way ahead of Welly..I prefer a less populous place to live.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:16 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I way, way prefer Welly to Auckland or Christchurch. Cool city- pity about the climate but if that's not an issue, it's a very sound choice!

40 hr working week is the norm I think, certainly for nurses.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I way, way prefer Welly to Auckland or Christchurch. Cool city- pity about the climate but if that's not an issue, it's a very sound choice!

40 hr working week is the norm I think, certainly for nurses.
40 seems to be the norm. Oh and that can means more as often meal breaks aren't paid.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:57 pm
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
QUICK.

Ta muchly ..