Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Central Heating going in at last

Central Heating going in at last

Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Central Heating going in at last

The plumbers turned up today. There were loads of boxes of radiators and a largish boiler. All the rads and the boiler have come from Italy where they were made. We have waited ages for them to start the work.

Originally we waited 6 or 7 weeks for a quote. Then another 2 months for them to get all the parts in. So now they have actually started putting the central heating in.

I asked one of the plumbers had he put many CH systems like this in before... his reply was "nope... never in NZ"... then explained to me that he'd worked in London and Leeds for several years putting in Central Heating.

Today they have attached all the downstairs rads to the walls... and the boiler into the storage room.

We've noticed that one of the rads they have got for upstairs is too big to fit where its going... I dont think theyve noticed, so tomorrow morning I will have to tell them.

So you can guess what state my house is in at the moment. I try to go out to keep away from the mess and let them get on with the job.

They only told us today that they cant fit the regulators and connect pipes to LPG bottles. You need a registered gas fitter to do that. We've had trouble getting somebody to do it but at last have arranged for somebody to come out on friday now. Have also just opened an account with a company who supply the gas bottles. The gas fitter wont do the work unless the gas bottles are there.... the gas bottle people wont deliver the bottles til there is flat slabs for them to stand on and chains to secure them....Its all fun eh?

Will keep you posted with how it goes and if it works??
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:02 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Heating going in at last

Never a dull moment eh??

It'll be worth it in the end. Just think by the weekend, you'll be all toasty warm , lucky b*ggers!!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Never a dull moment eh??

It'll be worth it in the end. Just think by the weekend, you'll be all toasty warm , lucky b*ggers!!
Nah.... not that soon. They reckon they will have to carry on with the work early next week too. So not sure at the moment when it will be done. Seemed crazy today putting it in today as it was so warm but its pretty chilly now. Looks weird as I walk round the house and I see radiators on the walls.... thinking Im back in the UK! Just seems odd.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:11 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Nah.... not that soon. They reckon they will have to carry on with the work early next week too. So not sure at the moment when it will be done. Seemed crazy today putting it in today as it was so warm but its pretty chilly now. Looks weird as I walk round the house and I see radiators on the walls.... thinking Im back in the UK! Just seems odd.

Gotta be honest, it's nice not having to plan your room round the rads on the wall.

Still would love to have heating rather than woodburner, the dust it creates is playing havoc with my chest
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Gotta be honest, it's nice not having to plan your room round the rads on the wall.

Still would love to have heating rather than woodburner, the dust it creates is playing havoc with my chest
We have an open fire at the moment in the living room and oil filled rads in the kids rooms. The playroom downstairs is too cold to play in at the moment, not a warm room at all. The room where these computers are is very cold too and I have just got a cup of tea to warm my fingers up.

I do love looking at the open fire and I reckon we will have one occasionally when its too mild to put heating on.... but it makes everything dusty in the room. Cant seem to get any more coal for it at the moment either so we are burning wood and its costing us quite a bit. You also really dont wanna know what our leccie bill for last month was running the oil filled rads.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I would also love to have CH back in my life again so I could move freely about our home without the antartic chill factor . The log burner appeal has worn very thin I have to say.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I would also love to have CH back in my life again so I could move freely about our home without the antartic chill factor . The log burner appeal has worn very thin I have to say.
Sorry, being dumb here, why did they have to come from Italy where they were made, don't they make them here? Or did you get all singing, all dancing ones?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:26 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Sorry, being dumb here, why did they have to come from Italy where they were made, don't they make them here? Or did you get all singing, all dancing ones?
Not only that, they serve Pizza for breakfast and spaghetti for tea, all accompanied by a nice little dry white wine and breadsticks!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:27 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
Not only that, they serve Pizza for breakfast and spaghetti for tea, all accompanied by a nice little dry white wine and breadsticks!

Cappucino!!! You forgot the bl**dy coffee
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Couldnt get any here. OH did stacks of research into the most cost effective ways of heating our house and in the end decided this was the way he wanted to go.... I've just left it up to him to sort out. CH isnt the norm here so I expect theres probably none made here.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I wish!! lol
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:29 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Whats the betting that lardyl knows different
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll take the pizza, wine and radiators, is it all served by an attractive Itallion Stallion??
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll take the pizza, wine and radiators, is it all served by an attractive Itallion Stallion??
mmmmmmm..... Sounds good to me!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:43 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Yes yes: and we all know who wins that prize!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.