Census

Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:28 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Census

Originally Posted by babybella
Nice chap came to deliver our forms, I told him I would do it on line but no he insisted he would come back to pick it up (maybe they get paid more for delivery and pick up) has he been back, no sign of him. Even left them by the door in a clear cover and there they sit.
If they are still there tom maybe I better call them.
Kaz
When my forms were delivered she said that if I did it online she wouldn't have to come back and collect them. I imagined that they had some way of telling.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Re the giving birth question, I don't know if this is the reason why but, I was working with some Samoan women and one told me she had six kids. Some weeks later she told me that she had given birth to four and the other two were 'adopted'. It happens a lot in Samoan families, possibly other PI too. The richer family members take on the kids for the poorer ones apparently. It's considered an investment, because when the kid starts work they send money back to the adopted mother. Not sure it always works that way these days. She was getting some money from one living in Australia though.
It's called 'Whangai' and is quite normal in Maori culture and basically is adoption by extended family, either short-term but often permanently. The real identity and roles of Mum, Dad, Auntie and Granny can be very vague.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
The real identity and roles of Mum, Dad, Auntie and Granny can be very vague.
They are all 'aunties'.

The extended family model is different to the nuclear family model that us westerners think is normal, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Jaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by babybella
Nice chap came to deliver our forms, I told him I would do it on line but no he insisted he would come back to pick it up (maybe they get paid more for delivery and pick up) has he been back, no sign of him. Even left them by the door in a clear cover and there they sit.
If they are still there tom maybe I better call them.
Kaz
Nice lady delivered mine and said she would be back within a couple of weeks to collect. Just been reading the guide notes and it says they will be collected sometime between 6 and 17 March if you haven't completed online.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Jaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes Persephone it did ask how many you gave birth to. I don't get the relevance or what they seek to gain by asking that question, especially since it is optional and you can refuse to answer.

It may have some relevance among such a hugely itinerant and migrant population, the likes of which have left kids behind overseas. I assumed it may also be aimed at a certain sector of society who 'whangai' a lot of their kids out to other family members.

There'll be a fair few that will have long since lost track of how many kids they had, far less be able to fill in a form and account for their current whereabouts.
I thought the babies question was very intrusive and objected to answering. Same with the religion question. To my mind, the very fact that they gave you the option of objecting to answer means they also thought these questions were intrusive..
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
Re the giving birth question, I don't know if this is the reason why but, I was working with some Samoan women and one told me she had six kids. Some weeks later she told me that she had given birth to four and the other two were 'adopted'.
Ah ! I remember hearing this whilst in Samoa itself decades ago. Tiz how it is.

Makes sense then ,to word the question carefully .
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Still not sure of the relevance of the question though or am I missing something?.

I can understand the need to know how many children are in a specific area in terms of planning future education and healthcare. BUT it asks nothing about where the children actually are, whether they have grown up and left home or even whether they are still alive. So even when it is combined with the ethnicity stats, what does it actually tell us and of what use is it? I would be interested to know as I'm at a bit of a loss really!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:11 pm
`

Yup. Am still puzzling it too.
As someone who hasn't managed to have a child in this world & lifetime, it was a very personal question.

I've had a google and found this.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:30 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yup. Am still puzzling it too.
As someone who hasn't managed to have a child in this world & lifetime, it was a very personal question.

I've had a google and found this.

The question has the potential to upset and intrude upon all women whether childless by choice or not and has no real use that I can see. At least there is the choice not to answer it.

I read the link, maybe it would be better to word it as something like 'how many children live in your house'? Would many parents who had lost a child feel like the census question meant they had to 'ignore' their lost child or would most be realistic about the fact it is a census and it is about providing services for the future? Hope that doesn't sound harsh.

It also mentions that the question is to do with assessing fertility rates - it does not really answer that either as increasing numbers choose not to have a child.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:07 pm
`

Found this. So it is to do with assessing fertility rates
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I know it must be hard for parents of stillborn/miscarried children to not be able to record them on the census but, surely the point of the census is to allow planning for future public service funding based around the habits of the present population.
I know that he act of only documenting living children will seem somehow 'disrespectful' to the memory of those lost and I fully agree that these childrens lives should be recorded somewhere but I don't think the census is the place to do that.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:32 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Fertility rates not only enable future planning but can be an indicator of changes in poverty, diet and environment at a population level. It is relevant data I guess, but the issue is around sensitivity.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

How does the fact that I have children, but they don't live in NZ and wont be requiring any services in the future, help planning?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:42 am
`

Originally Posted by lisamct
I know it must be hard for parents of stillborn/miscarried children to not be able to record them on the census but, surely the point of the census is to allow planning for future public service funding based around the habits of the present population.
I know that he act of only documenting living children will seem somehow 'disrespectful' to the memory of those lost and I fully agree that these childrens lives should be recorded somewhere but I don't think the census is the place to do that.
Funnily enough early UK 20th century census' did record this. Total children born alive. Total children living. Total children died. This leaves the cross-refs for children alive but not with the home address on the date of the census.

It states it is about fertility rates. So, men should maybe have answered the same question. Also, if collating on fertility + health then stillbirth is part of this.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:00 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS

It states it is about fertility rates. So, men should maybe have answered the same question. Also, if collating on fertility + health then stillbirth is part of this.
It is recorded:

Just to clarify, all births over 20 weeks, regardless of if baby is born alive or stillborn is recorded by Births Deaths and Marriages. We know how many babies die every year (over 700) between 20 weeks gestation and 12 months of age, however there is no national data base to record early losses that occur under 20wks gestation.
(from link above)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.