Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Catch Up Thread - Part Deux

Catch Up Thread - Part Deux

Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:18 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Catch Up Thread - Part Deux

Hi guys and gals

Well, as some you of you already know, I've been away for a while as my dear Mum passed away at the end of September and I now need to do a lot of catching up.

If any of you have any news to share and would like to post it on this thread it would save me loads of time reading through the last 4 weeks posts coz I'm a bit of a lazy trout at heart!!! If I've not responded to pm's or posts during this time then I hope you will all understand and forgive me...

My news, well, we've been allocated a case officer (at last - hoorah!), OH has received his written job offer (bonus!) and things are moving along steadily. However, I have been having some doubts myself about emigrating and leaving my Dad at this very difficult time for him and eldest daughter has declared that she may not come out when she's finished her degree and the pay that OH has been offered is somewhat lower than we were initially led to believe so will have to do some serious number crunching (yawn) to see if we can make it stretch or I may even have to consider working - bang goes my early retirement at the age of 39 (cough, cough..not for much longer... )

So, what's your news???

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Oct 30th 2005 at 9:21 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Catch Up Thread - Part Deux

Hi Pinkie Pie

Really sorry to hear about your mum, never an easy time no matter how old we are mum's are so special lost mine 11 yrs ago still miss her like mad.

we got our case officer couple of weeks ago, had our medicals on Saturday just praying that all is ok! Jon has to get all his references this week and the kids only have 11 months left on their passports so we have to renew them. Got our police checks so seems to be going okay at the moment.

Really good to see your back.

Take care
Helen
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi guys and gals

Well, as some you of you already know, I've been away for a while as my dear Mum passed away at the end of September and I now need to do a lot of catching up.

If any of you have any news to share and would like to post it on this thread it would save me loads of time reading through the last 4 weeks posts coz I'm a bit of a lazy trout at heart!!! If I've not responded to pm's or posts during this time then I hope you will all understand and forgive me...

My news, well, we've been allocated a case officer (at last - hoorah!), OH has received his written job offer (bonus!) and things are moving along steadily. However, I have been having some doubts myself about emigrating and leaving my Dad at this very difficult time for him and eldest daughter has declared that she may not come out when she's finished her degree and the pay that OH has been offered is somewhat lower than we were initially led to believe so will have to do some serious number crunching (yawn) to see if we can make it stretch or I may even have to consider working - bang goes my early retirement at the age of 39 (cough, cough..not for much longer... )

So, what's your news???
Hi Pinkie Pie
Welcome back and so sorry to hear about your Mums passing.
I havent been on here much lately, we dont have high speed internet and its so slow its infuriating.
I cant quite remember where you were hoping to go to in NZ now and what type of work your hubby was into?.It would be hard to leave your eldest behind if she wasnt planning to follow and also your Dad..is a long way away over here..I cetainly felt very home sick when I was in the UK.
Best wishes to you
Shazza
Best wishes to you
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:54 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome back Pinkie...so sorry to hear your bad news :-)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:21 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pinkie

So sorry to hear about your mum. It's a tough one eh? I hope it all works out for you, whichever way.

I've got a case officer now too - they don't seem to rush the family applicants once you're here. I was told it could take up to 6 months to get this far and another 6 months for the application to go through. So, I'm 3 months ahead of schedule and hopefully the rest will happen quickly too. I'm loving it here - Mike is still a bit iffy. All you NZers who've lived away for a long time, take note. It's just as difficult for a returnee as it is for a new immigrant in some ways. He was moaning this evening that he hadn't had a decent pizza since we'd left Ireland. He'll be fine though; he's home and isn't going anywhere.

I find it difficult to put in writing how I feel when people ask for positives about NZ. For me, it's a feeling rather than anything specific. I breath the air and I inhale New Zealand - I feel so at home here.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:28 am
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi guys and gals

So, what's your news???

Pinkie

It's so nice to have you back !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering were our favourite moderator had gone

I'm sorry to hear of your news about your mum and I hope things work out for you in the way you want them to

Good luck and welcome back

K9
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:42 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Welome back Pinkie

Sorry to hear about your Mums passing, know how desperately hard it is trying to cope with the loss of a parent. It all takes time but time is a great healer. Hugs to you & yours at this very sad time

Last week I finally obtained Permanent Residency here in the US. Been a long time coming but nice to know its all behind me now. Still have my son here visiting from the UK so still playing Mum again. The weather here is fast turning to crap but guess its similar over there for you too

Anyways its great to see you back on board.

Chin up old girl & remember not to rush things, just take it one day at a time.'

Hugs
Cindy
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pinkie,
Very sorry to hear about your Mum's passing. I lost mine when I was 18 so have lived all of my adult life without here. Just think of the years you spent together and the memories you have.

Our news is my eldest left on his travels to Thailand, Aus, NZ and then to stay in NZ for Uni. Very, very sad for us to see him go but as a good friend said that we should congratulate yourselves for raising a confident, independent young man. Still miss him though even though I have always go a full tank of gas since he's gone.
Big hug to you
KAZ
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

[very sorry to hear your news. Hope things go well with your application.
I'm NZ bound at the beginning of January. Hope that things go ok. Just had a quote for shipping. Can someone please pick me up?

Joanna
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear your sad news PinkiePie. No matter how old you are, it still hurts like hell to lose your mum (mine died 3 years ago).

How is your dad coping?

JaneAS
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Caz,

I haven't been around the forum for a while either. So sorry to hear about your mum. It isn't easy to cope with loss. I have lamented my Dad's passing for years and years and I still cry about it sometimes.

I can fully understand your doubts about the move to NZ. We are undergoing the same. I would just love to be able to live there but remain very uncertain as to whether it will benefit us as much as we hope. We have also had something of a change in circumstances here that may make it seem foolhardy to up-sticks and go. The whole thing is one great big dilemma at the moment. There are loads of reasons why we want to go over there, while there are an equal number of reasons why we should stay here. The wisest course of action at present seems to be to regard the move as an option but only make the final decision when our present path has been tested. I can't really say too much about this at the moment but only to say that I will not be following a career as a teacher because it really isn't the job I am happy to do. I would, therefore, have to look towards pathways into my current work. Also I have just started a business over here and need to develop it before I can assess how it might translate to a new life in NZ - an unknown quantity just now.

I still yearn the antipodean lifestyle (I still think of Oz with much fondness, although how similar are Oz and NZ? - I can't go to Oz because they don't like anyone over 45) but I fear the move may become out of bounds to me.

Kind regards

Ali