cars in nz

Old May 26th 2005, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default cars in nz

i was wondering what kind of cars there are in nz. i drive an automatic so would like to know if automatics are the norm like they are in america. also are cars generally expensive in nz?

thanx.

tottefan.
Old May 26th 2005, 11:12 am
pompeymike

Default Re: cars in nz

Originally Posted by tottefan
i was wondering what kind of cars there are in nz. i drive an automatic so would like to know if automatics are the norm like they are in america. also are cars generally expensive in nz?

thanx.

tottefan.
Most cars are Japanese and probably 75% are automatics. Prices are pretty similar to the UK but you'll pay more for older cars here because they tend to be in better condition and they don't rust like they do back home - I don't think they salt the roads in winter here.

Mike

Old May 27th 2005, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Big thing about cars in NZ is that their is no local manufactures so no protection is needed for them so no high import taxes on cars. Also the Japaneese have a glut of good second hand cars in Japan which they need to get rid of. Most countries discourage commercial imports of second hand cars (to protect local manufactures and Jap cars are RH drive which futher restricts the market), and so their is a thriving market in NZ for imported 2nd hand Japaneese imports.

I found these cars to be excellent value and cheaper than cars in the UK (been away for 5 year though).
Old May 27th 2005, 3:12 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Most cars are Japanese and probably 75% are automatics. Prices are pretty similar to the UK but you'll pay more for older cars here because they tend to be in better condition and they don't rust like they do back home - I don't think they salt the roads in winter here.

Mike
Surprised to [here] hear that so many cars are automatics. NZ seems to have many hills, when I visit I will hire me a manual, I just feel safer driving a manual car, I like the idea of using the engine as a brake ... just in case the real brakes fail. Happened to me once, and once was enough!

Last edited by Franklin; May 27th 2005 at 3:30 am. Reason: Change "here" to "hear"

Old May 27th 2005, 3:45 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Surprised to [here] hear that so many cars are automatics. NZ seems to have many hills, when I visit I will hire me a manual, I just feel safer driving a manual car, I like the idea of using the engine as a brake ... just in case the real brakes fail. Happened to me once, and once was enough!
There are a lot of automatic cars in NZ but still an awful lot of manual (stick shift) ones too. I agree with you Franklin automatics are gutless on hills & I personally would stick to a manual in NZ anyday. Not too sure but it used to be quite expensive in NZ to get an automatic repaired so I think that put a lot of lower income people off them. Also a few years back if you took your driving test in an automatic you used to have your drivers liscence endorsed saying you were only permitted to drive an automatic vehicle but not sure if its still that way now or not. Was far better to go for the test in a manual so you could drive either
Old May 27th 2005, 4:20 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by shepslady
There are a lot of automatic cars in NZ but still an awful lot of manual (stick shift) ones too. I agree with you Franklin automatics are gutless on hills & I personally would stick to a manual in NZ anyday. Not too sure but it used to be quite expensive in NZ to get an automatic repaired so I think that put a lot of lower income people off them. Also a few years back if you took your driving test in an automatic you used to have your drivers liscence endorsed saying you were only permitted to drive an automatic vehicle but not sure if its still that way now or not. Was far better to go for the test in a manual so you could drive either
It was that way in the UK when I left some seven years ago now (re: f you took your driving test in an automatic you used to have your drivers licence endorsed saying you were only permitted to drive an automatic vehicle). I'm not sure if it is still that way back in the UK.

Old May 27th 2005, 4:24 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a lot of automatic cars in NZ but still an awful lot of manual (stick shift) ones too. I agree with you Franklin automatics are gutless on hills & I personally would stick to a manual in NZ anyday.
If you're buying you have to think about resale value and saleability. I was strongly advised by several dealers to buy automatic because of this and they had nothing to lose, selling both automatics and manuals. NZ'ers are largely into automatics.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:26 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[. NZ'ers are largely into automatics.[/QUOTE]

Well having spent over 40 years there that is news to me
Old May 27th 2005, 4:33 am
Don
Banned

[. NZ'ers are largely into automatics.
Well having spent over 40 years there that is news to me [/QUOTE]

Well not EVERY Kiwi. Not really into them myself but our Toyota Surf is an automatic and it grew on me a lot. Particularly suited to Dunedin with all its hills and to NZ's speed limits. Very relaxed driving in town and in the countryside.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:42 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Don
Well having spent over 40 years there that is news to me
Well not EVERY Kiwi. Not really into them myself but our Toyota Surf is an automatic and it grew on me a lot. Particularly suited to Dunedin with all its hills and to NZ's speed limits. Very relaxed driving in town and in the countryside.[/QUOTE]

No definately not every kiwi I agree. As for you saying its very relaxed driving that might be so but I personally find it makes you lazy....yes the two vehicles we own here in the US are both automatics & whilst its convenient I still think its a lazy way of driving & I miss my stick shift so much
Old May 27th 2005, 4:46 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

its actually just about 50% that are auto in NZ i'm reliably told.I would have to agree too that it would seem that.
Autos have moved on so much in the last 5 years or so and many are better, if no worse than manuals.Most are at least 5 speed auto, have computer controlled logic with fly by wire throttles which make them very efficient for those who don't care how they drive.The latest vw and audi autos are quite simply awsome and far better than a manual...but you won't see many in NZ yet.Gutless?Try driving one hard and you'll see there no difference.An auto Landcrusier is far faster and easier and a tad more economical than its sister manual.
One thing to add is diesel works better with auto than petrol, and petrol works better in small volume engines than diesel....its horses for courses.
Hey Don, Dunedin is not yet on the slide but sales commission is down at 1.5% thanks to all the non commission shops doing a fixed deal.....sell now for maximum returns i do feel
Old May 27th 2005, 4:50 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Well not EVERY Kiwi. Not really into them myself but our Toyota Surf is an automatic and it grew on me a lot. Particularly suited to Dunedin with all its hills and to NZ's speed limits. Very relaxed driving in town and in the countryside.
No definately not every kiwi I agree. As for you saying its very relaxed driving that might be so but I personally find it makes you lazy....yes the two vehicles we own here in the US are both automatics & whilst its convenient I still think its a lazy way of driving & I miss my stick shift so much [/QUOTE]

Don't look at it as lazy, it just gives you time to be more efficient a driver.The ploice don't run autos to give the drivers arm a rest.Its proven its one less thing to think about in an enviroment where most people struggle to deal with the multitude of tasks placed upon them.I defy anyone not to drive better in an auto than a manual,many tests and surveys around the world have proved this.
Old May 27th 2005, 4:51 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by deedee
its actually just about 50% that are auto in NZ i'm reliably told.I would have to agree too that it would seem that.
Autos have moved on so much in the last 5 years or so and many are better, if no worse than manuals.Most are at least 5 speed auto, have computer controlled logic with fly by wire throttles which make them very efficient for those who don't care how they drive.The latest vw and audi autos are quite simply awsome and far better than a manual...but you won't see many in NZ yet.Gutless?Try driving one hard and you'll see there no difference.An auto Landcrusier is far faster and easier and a tad more economical than its sister manual.
One thing to add is diesel works better with auto than petrol, and petrol works better in small volume engines than diesel....its horses for courses.
Hey Don, Dunedin is not yet on the slide but sales commission is down at 1.5% thanks to all the non commission shops doing a fixed deal.....sell now for maximum returns i do feel
Ayup Deedee - I feel a sale is imminent but probably timing will have to be in Spring, probably Oct-Nov when the rhodos are coming into flower as I improved the garden by sticking quite a few big ones in. Good news if we can get better deal on the shark's commission as I didn't much fancy paying four percent.

You working in QT?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:22 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Don
Ayup Deedee - I feel a sale is imminent but probably timing will have to be in Spring, probably Oct-Nov when the rhodos are coming into flower as I improved the garden by sticking quite a few big ones in. Good news if we can get better deal on the shark's commission as I didn't much fancy paying four percent.

You working in QT?
What's this commission thread? Please mention more about it. tia

Old May 27th 2005, 5:51 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by Franklin
What's this commission thread? Please mention more about it. tia
The estate agents typically charge four percent commission on the first chunk of real estate sales then two and a half per cent thereafter. No cartel guv, we just all stick to four percent.

There are signs that the cartel has been broken - which is also a sign the mkt is getting tougher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.