Reload this Page >

Cars - Bring or Buy

Cars - Bring or Buy

Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

moorel638 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Cars - Bring or Buy

My first post ever so wish me luck!

So I am planning to emigrate to NZ early next year but am currently having to consider buying a new car to get me to work back here in UK. What are the thoughts of the Forum:

1. Buy new (Ford or VW) and export it; it would not be brand new when I ship it but what does the Tax man in NZ consider new?

2. Buy 2nd Hand (again Ford or VW) and ship it when I come over?

3. Buy in NZ when I arrive? I would almost certainly buy 2nd hand until I am tuned in properly to the NZ way but I am not a fan of Asian/Japanese Cars, problem for a region that predominately drives Asian/Jap Cars I know.

Saying that there are a couple of small Toyota's I quite like.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars - Bring or Buy

Originally Posted by moorel638
My first post ever so wish me luck!

So I am planning to emigrate to NZ early next year but am currently having to consider buying a new car to get me to work back here in UK. What are the thoughts of the Forum:

1. Buy new (Ford or VW) and export it; it would not be brand new when I ship it but what does the Tax man in NZ consider new?

2. Buy 2nd Hand (again Ford or VW) and ship it when I come over?

3. Buy in NZ when I arrive? I would almost certainly buy 2nd hand until I am tuned in properly to the NZ way but I am not a fan of Asian/Japanese Cars, problem for a region that predominately drives Asian/Jap Cars I know.

Saying that there are a couple of small Toyota's I quite like.

Thoughts?

No one really cares what you drive in NZ. Its usually a choice based on size of your gear stick.

What you buy in short term to cover your transportation needs in UK is something only yourself can make (used/new).

Before you rush in to worrying about cars, have a look into garages and houses. You mind end up deciding for public transport.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 9:44 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...s-from-europe/

but what we did back in 2011 was contact aa.co.nz and this is what they asked for:
Make:
Model:
Type of fuel (petrol/diesel):
Date of first registration:
How long you have owned it:
Expected port of entry in NZ:

Can you also send me a picture of the EC Type approval plate and perhaps a copy of the V5? We are looking for the approval number which starts with the letter “e”. This approval number tells us if your car meets some or hopefully all of the required standards. Once I know what we are dealing with, I can advise you if you need to get more information or evidence.

As an immigrant to NZ, you may meet the criteria for an immigrant exemption. This would allow the entry-certification without having o meet the frontal impact and the emission standard. All other standards have to be met.

For a petrol vehicle allow about NZ$1000 for entry-certification and first registration or about NZ$1400 for a diesel.

Other than de-registering the vehicle and making sure it arrives clean, there is nothing else you really need to do at this stage. You only need to get further evidence for the compliance standards if the car doesn’t have an “e” number.

Make sure you can prove that you own it (receipt, bill of sale) and that it was registered (V5). A V5 with your name on will do for both.

------

obviously these prices were 4 years ago so they may have changed
Old Jun 19th 2016, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Parnell
No one really cares what you drive in NZ. Its usually a choice based on size of your gear stick.

What you buy in short term to cover your transportation needs in UK is something only yourself can make (used/new).

Before you rush in to worrying about cars, have a look into garages and houses. You mind end up deciding for public transport.
Good call on the Public transport and looking at accommodation first, priorities have just changed. tvm
Old Jun 19th 2016, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...s-from-europe/

but what we did back in 2011 was contact aa.co.nz and this is what they asked for:
Make:
Model:
Type of fuel (petrol/diesel):
Date of first registration:
How long you have owned it:
Expected port of entry in NZ:

Can you also send me a picture of the EC Type approval plate and perhaps a copy of the V5? We are looking for the approval number which starts with the letter “e”. This approval number tells us if your car meets some or hopefully all of the required standards. Once I know what we are dealing with, I can advise you if you need to get more information or evidence.

As an immigrant to NZ, you may meet the criteria for an immigrant exemption. This would allow the entry-certification without having o meet the frontal impact and the emission standard. All other standards have to be met.

For a petrol vehicle allow about NZ$1000 for entry-certification and first registration or about NZ$1400 for a diesel.

Other than de-registering the vehicle and making sure it arrives clean, there is nothing else you really need to do at this stage. You only need to get further evidence for the compliance standards if the car doesn’t have an “e” number.

Make sure you can prove that you own it (receipt, bill of sale) and that it was registered (V5). A V5 with your name on will do for both.

------

obviously these prices were 4 years ago so they may have changed
There is so much paperwork with everything in modern life but that was good info thanks. I had some dealings with EC Type Approval numbers when I was stationed in Germany and coming back so I know what I would be looking for. adding shipping to the costs you mentioned puts me in the buy in NZ frame of mind.

Are there sufficient garages and spares for European makes of cars; cost more maybe?
Old Jun 19th 2016, 7:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we bought our Vauxhall Zafaria over and despite vauxhall being part of Holden (or the other way round) the local garage could not locate a starter motor for me so here in NZ so costs me $100's more as it had to be shipped in.

But we had no real option as we just did not have enough money to buy here.