Care Work in NZ

Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

hanskib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Care Work in NZ

Hi all,
I'm a care worker in England looking after young adults with autism and learning difficulties.
I really want to head to NZ for 6-12 months to get an idea of lifestyle etc before going for the full immigration. I'm currently struggling to find out whether care work is really available on a working holliday visa or whether I need to explore other options. I've tried emailling the immigration site, but the only reply I got from an officer was "I'd recommend you come here on a working holiday visa to explore a variety of different jobs" - not very specific!
Does anyone have experience in this field or any advice for me?
I'm 23, single, British national, no dependents.
Many thanks,
Hannah
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Care Work in NZ

Originally Posted by hanskib View Post
Hi all,
I'm a care worker in England looking after young adults with autism and learning difficulties.
I really want to head to NZ for 6-12 months to get an idea of lifestyle etc before going for the full immigration. I'm currently struggling to find out whether care work is really available on a working holliday visa or whether I need to explore other options. I've tried emailling the immigration site, but the only reply I got from an officer was "I'd recommend you come here on a working holiday visa to explore a variety of different jobs" - not very specific!
Does anyone have experience in this field or any advice for me?
I'm 23, single, British national, no dependents.
Many thanks,
Hannah
hi we are off back to nz in sept, my wife is looking after one 83 year old who has dementia and one in a wheel chair who has no leggs, we enquired about careing and was told wait until you get here we do have a contact number but was told they like experience more than certificates, but they are crying out for carers
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hannah,

Your best bet would be having a working holiday visa, but I think there are restrictions on how much you can work. WHV is your best best in getting in the country to have a look around and see if you like it. You will have no problems picking up care work, especially if you work with both adults and young people. I worked for IHC in residential care whilst doing my social work degree and the experience was invaluable. It was fairly good money as a student, although I did live in Dunedin and rent etc is much lower.

There are other organisations around so make sure you have a good look around. Having a WHV means you aren't tied to any one organisation on a work permit. Not sure if carers are on the list for skills shortages but I am sure you will suss all that out once you arrive.
Make sure your CV is up to date, have some references and read up on several organisations (their statement of purpose, philosophy etc).
http://www.ihc.org.nz/Employment/Wor...7/Default.aspx

You'll be fine! Good luck.

Dannigirl.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Although I work on the hearing side of things, the company I work for has branches that deal with disability and autism. Visit the website and use the contact button to ask. www.life.nzl.org