Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Mayhem is getting worse in New Zealand (if thats possible)

Car Mayhem is getting worse in New Zealand (if thats possible)

Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Mayhem is getting worse in New Zealand (if thats possible)

Originally Posted by Browner_
Good enough reasons for me.

I wouldn't come near this hole if Id known what it was really like.

People here are scared stiff of gangs. No-one will give evidence against them. One trial last week set a world record (true) for the number of witnesses giving evidence behind a screen.

Even the police said last week they wouldnt go into an area of Lower Hutt after dark.

And if you are into gang areas, dont forget Porirua, Hawkes Bay, Rotorua, Eastern Bay of Plenty, Wanganui, Northland, Jesus is there anywhere left?
You're still here then???
Let me know when you need a lift to the airport
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by janek
As I said earlier.. When are the police going to start doing their job and start prosecuting?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:12 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
- This was not just another weekend in ChCh. It was the influx of car enthusiasts for an annual car show.
- The police impounded over 70 vehicles, issued over 300 infringement notices and made 17 (if my memory serves from radio this morning) arrests. So, I think we can say that they are trying to do something about this problem
Sounds like the police are doing something....
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by southerner
Sounds like the police are doing something....
Hmm, not enough though...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:17 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

It's all a bit 'same shit, different bucket' for me and the missus.

Southend? Full of chavved up Nova's, boy racers, bit of agro on the weekend.

Christchurch? Full of chavved up Jap cars, boy racers, bit of agro on the weekend.

I reckon the only difference is the number of chavvy cars here. The kids here absolutely LOVE them. And when you can buy a heap of shit Nissan Skyline for less than $2k, and it is not law to have insurance, then why wouldn't you? If I was 17, didn't have much to do that appealed to my teenage sense of 'cool', and my mates were into cars, then I can well see why they do it. Hell - didn't any of you want to push the limits, wave 2 fingers to everyone, and cause a fuss when you were in your late teens? I know I did! Even before then - mods/ rockers/ punks - remember them? Big fuss made, but things move on.

Ultimately, right now there are lots of boy racers here, not so many police. Boy racers are organised, and enjoy what they do to the point that they will go to great lengths to street race, meet and show off. While they can get away with it, they will.

I don't know the answer, but you can bet it involves more money from somewhere. More money for extra police, more money for a chavvy boy racer playground, either way it comes from mr taxpayer. And there-in lies the rub - as has been mentioned before 'I don't want tax money paid out on those bloody boy racers'. Well, it has to start somewhere.

I lived in the city centre - yes boy racers are a problem. Noise especially. where we live now - not so much of a problem, but I do sympathise with those motels on Bealey Ave.

Give it 10 years and the BR thing will have been legislated out of existence, and we'll be onto the 'next' teenage crisis thing.

Ultimately, it's all just a little bit of history repeating (albeit loudly).
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
It's all a bit 'same shit, different bucket' for me and the missus.

Southend? Full of chavved up Nova's, boy racers, bit of agro on the weekend.

Christchurch? Full of chavved up Jap cars, boy racers, bit of agro on the weekend.

I reckon the only difference is the number of chavvy cars here. The kids here absolutely LOVE them. And when you can buy a heap of shit Nissan Skyline for less than $2k, and it is not law to have insurance, then why wouldn't you? If I was 17, didn't have much to do that appealed to my teenage sense of 'cool', and my mates were into cars, then I can well see why they do it. Hell - didn't any of you want to push the limits, wave 2 fingers to everyone, and cause a fuss when you were in your late teens? I know I did! Even before then - mods/ rockers/ punks - remember them? Big fuss made, but things move on.

Ultimately, right now there are lots of boy racers here, not so many police. Boy racers are organised, and enjoy what they do to the point that they will go to great lengths to street race, meet and show off. While they can get away with it, they will.

I don't know the answer, but you can bet it involves more money from somewhere. More money for extra police, more money for a chavvy boy racer playground, either way it comes from mr taxpayer. And there-in lies the rub - as has been mentioned before 'I don't want tax money paid out on those bloody boy racers'. Well, it has to start somewhere.

I lived in the city centre - yes boy racers are a problem. Noise especially. where we live now - not so much of a problem, but I do sympathise with those motels on Bealey Ave.

Give it 10 years and the BR thing will have been legislated out of existence, and we'll be onto the 'next' teenage crisis thing.

Ultimately, it's all just a little bit of history repeating (albeit loudly).
Very well put, cogent argument. I was a right twat when I was a teenager. I think I only grew up when I became a copper at 33 and got my motorseekle licence At 50 I have lapsed back into the purile ways of my youth as I battle to raise 3 X under 8s. If you can't beat them join 'em!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

I respect your views B but I still say that the gangs and knobs in cars are not reasons to cancel NZ as a place to emigrate...for most folk.

My suggestions of trying to reach a civilised conclusion with a productive result to this big problem were discounted on various grounds- fear of retaliation or lack of resources or unwillingness to pay even more just to provide morons with 'hobbies'.
Fine, ok I can understand where you're coming from but locking them all up will cost you a darned site more and not just financially.
Do you know how much it costs taxpayers to keep someone in prison for one day?

I am not a sandal wearing, yoghurt knitting, liberal minded do gooder {Mike Dicken- my how I miss him!} but I do understand that a lot of youth can get drawn into unsavory groups in order to 'be'.
Not all these BR are spawned from the devil- some really will respond to active positive support.
For the one's 'beyond redemption' the justice system has to be used, but it has to be supported.
Sometimes it is impossible, without video/photographic evidence to prove their presence let alone their culpability. I fail to see how providing the police with such evidence could result in you being beaten to a pulp or knifed. They won't know it's you. Wear a balaclava or a hood!
You could always use a water cannon to spray dye them- then the over worked, understaffed, under supported, under paid, under valued police could pick them up later, when time and staffing allowed? No?
Ok. How about nuking the lot'?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:55 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't we already do all this a couple of months ago.........?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:00 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's a regular event.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:26 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Didn't we already do all this a couple of months ago.........?
WOW. I knew moderators had power but you can nuke entire sites? That's awesome.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
WOW. I knew moderators had power but you can nuke entire sites? That's awesome.
Well, I do a consistent job of killing threads, so I don't mind giving it a go to add to my repertoire ...
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:06 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
I thought for a moment you meant Christchurch - and was going to reply it looks like it has been already.

But then so to did main street Dunedin last night after the annual student toga party. Turned into a massive egg fight - nothing clean and green about that. Definitely would not recommend immigrating to NZ.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

OK ta.
Got a big bus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.