Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car insurance recommendations

Car insurance recommendations

Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough
Default Car insurance recommendations

Hi there!

I have been residing in NZ for nearly four years now and am about to buy a car for the first time in NZ (have relied on public transport!). I have driven back in the UK so it has been several years since I had a car insurance.

Can anyone recommend any good insurance providers especially for applying for the first time in NZ? Whether they would ask your history back in the UK?

Thanks,
Claire
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance recommendations

Ive been with the AA, State and now Tower. Each renewal being for a cheaper policy with the same benefits.
Tower have been good so far, claimed once when someone ran into the back of my car, quick, friendly and no hassle, had the whole thing sorted and fixed within a couple of weeks and most of that was waiting for the panel beater.

When I got my first insurance with the AA all they asked was if I had full no claims in the UK, didnt want proof just verbal confirmation and they carried it over to my first policy here, otherwise it was no issue.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Been with AMI and now with Tower as they were cheaper, have not had to claim so not sure how either of these would stack up. But they are always very pleasant. They did not require anything from the UK showing that I was a good driver and had no claims. Just had to answer a few questions in relation to this. Hope this helps
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

AA

Kind Regards
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:00 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Was with AMI, now with Westpac.....
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You should ask whoever you have other insurances with as they all appear to offer a discount for 2 or more policies together.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Lumley (Westpac). Never had any problems with them.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

AA - fully comprehensive, 8yo 1.8L. cost approx. $400 per year

They also relied on my honesty as to my claims history and were not that interested in seeing proof. And yes, I was honest - no claims ever!

Someone else mentioned discounts for more than one insurance with the same company so worth looking into that first.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:43 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

If you're an IAM member, from the UK, mention it. It can get you a discount with the right person....