Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in Nz

Car Insurance in Nz

Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:50 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default Car Insurance in Nz

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to findout- How easy is it getting car insurance in Nz. Do you have to bring evidence from the UK of your no claims bonus etc? Reason i'm asking is , i bumped another person car and as I am leaving for Nz in 2 months I may as well claim it on the insurance, but will an Nz insurance company ask abt my claims history in the UK?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in Nz

the people i insured the bikes with where not interested in seeing it "we just asume u have it" is all they said. I showed my bike no claims for the cars and they used it for 3 different policies it,s fairly laid back here

Neil
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to findout- How easy is it getting car insurance in Nz. Do you have to bring evidence from the UK of your no claims bonus etc? Reason i'm asking is , i bumped another person car and as I am leaving for Nz in 2 months I may as well claim it on the insurance, but will an Nz insurance company ask abt my claims history in the UK?
I would imagine you would have to admit to it as a 'material fact'..especially when they ask "any claims the last x years". I would just be concerened that they could find out and if you had not 'fessed up', as they could be tricky about any subsequent claim you may make. I would admit it and I am sure they will note it but are unlikely to load you. they will be delighted you are bothering with ins when so many don't (as having ins here is not mandatory). HOW DUMB IS THAT??????????????
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:04 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi Guys,

Before leaving the UK, my car caught fire, shortly before I was going to sell it (not intentional!). When I took out insurance, here, I said nothing. No checks are made, you simply state that your previous insurer was a UK insurance company and no checks appear to happen.......or maybe that's just my insurance company! But as Genesis says, the checks may happen when a claim is made.......you takes your chances, etc.....
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug
Before leaving the UK, my car caught fire, shortly before I was going to sell it (not intentional!). When I took out insurance, here, I said nothing. No checks are made, you simply state that your previous insurer was a UK insurance company and no checks appear to happen.......or maybe that's just my insurance company! But as Genesis says, the checks may happen when a claim is made.......you takes your chances, etc.....
They won't bother checking up on your UK claims history until you make a major claim here in NZ.

Then you may find that they won't pay out if you haven't disclosed fully.

So you should disclose everything, IMO. Otherwise the insurance might be a waste of money.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Lax is an understatement!

I (honestly) admitted two claims on my insurance. First was 5 years ago and I was at fault, second was 2 years ago and I wasn't, but my insurance still had to pay.

I got 5 years protected no claims bonus straight off!

I'm insured with AA Insurance.