Car Buying Advice

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Car Buying Advice

Finally got settled into an apartment, steady jobs, 3 year work permit granted last week, so the next thing on the list is a car.

Now, back in the UK both the wife and I loved our cars, but after travelling for such a long time we have both got lower expectations and just want a decent, reliable car, nothing flash to get us around at weekends (public transport in the week to work).

Looking up to $10k to spend, ideally get the usual as new as possible with the lowest KM. But, what are decent and popular cars over here? Prefer a hatchback/sedan and seem to be seeing a lot of Honda Civic's, Subaru Imprezza's (both 1.5l auto's) around?

Also, what the deal with all the imports at car dealers? Anything we should be wary of or need to do when buying? Also, how quick do places usually turn sales around once you agree on buying.

Thanks for this!

Andy
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Buying Advice

Originally Posted by AndyR
Finally got settled into an apartment, steady jobs, 3 year work permit granted last week, so the next thing on the list is a car.

Now, back in the UK both the wife and I loved our cars, but after travelling for such a long time we have both got lower expectations and just want a decent, reliable car, nothing flash to get us around at weekends (public transport in the week to work).

Looking up to $10k to spend, ideally get the usual as new as possible with the lowest KM. But, what are decent and popular cars over here? Prefer a hatchback/sedan and seem to be seeing a lot of Honda Civic's, Subaru Imprezza's (both 1.5l auto's) around?

Also, what the deal with all the imports at car dealers? Anything we should be wary of or need to do when buying? Also, how quick do places usually turn sales around once you agree on buying.

Thanks for this!

Andy
10k? Avoid a Sub. High insurance..likes to be nicked and is big $$ to repair. Go for a Honda or Toyota..lots of really fun Toyos to be had for 10kish. Do a search on www.trademe.co.nz car section with your requirements. Apparently I am told Nissans dont have timing belts (chains instead??)..so this might be an option..one less thing to go wrong aye?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
10k? Avoid a Sub. High insurance..likes to be nicked and is big $$ to repair. Go for a Honda or Toyota..lots of really fun Toyos to be had for 10kish. Do a search on www.trademe.co.nz car section with your requirements. Apparently I am told Nissans dont have timing belts (chains instead??)..so this might be an option..one less thing to go wrong aye?
Good to know thanks. Yeah I had a Civic back in the UK (2004 Type R) that was rock solid for 3 years so I'm quite happy to go Honda again.

Any opinions on all these imports I keep seeing?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know thanks. Yeah I had a Civic back in the UK (2004 Type R) that was rock solid for 3 years so I'm quite happy to go Honda again.

Any opinions on all these imports I keep seeing?
So long as they are not european..no worries. I have had 2. Get an AA check..well worth the dosh.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want reliable, have a look at the Toyota signature class vehicles, all been checked by Toyota NZ and have to be up to a good standard before they sell them under the Signature Class branding and you get 3 year warranties with them.

Personally would try avoid Jap imports and aim to buy NZ new only.

If you don't need something too big there were some good deals to be had on reasonably new Suzuki Swifts not that long ago.

Mazda 3 is always a good option too.

Happy shopping!!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:22 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

When i first got here I couln't find a decent priced car yard for love or money.. ended up with an opel zafira that i saw on trademe when i was in the uk got it for 6 grand and its been pretty much faultless for the 8 months i've had it .
I drive past this place nearly every day and they look to have some half decent stuff in .. and everything is 5 grand !! http://www.speedy5000cars.co.nz/panmure/index.html
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Things to watch for....
Stereo goes from 88-107fm.
Drivers handbook in english.
Neither of these are syandard in imports. Go NZ new.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

if you fancy a 4 yr old holden viva 1.8 manual wagon, might just know someone who could help you out

(or a 10 year old holden manual corsa come to that!)
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:48 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooo, someone mention Suzuki Swifts? Don't think the OP would get one for $10,000 though.

I'd echo what someone else said, just don't buy European makes as they are a fortune to repair here, especially an older version. I had a lovely VW Golf GTi, but it had to go, as once it started getting problems it was a very expensive downhill slope after that.

I'm off to look up Suzuki Swifts now ...
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Ooo, someone mention Suzuki Swifts? Don't think the OP would get one for $10,000 though.

I'd echo what someone else said, just don't buy European makes as they are a fortune to repair here, especially an older version. I had a lovely VW Golf GTi, but it had to go, as once it started getting problems it was a very expensive downhill slope after that.

I'm off to look up Suzuki Swifts now ...
I'm on my 2nd European car here

You're probably right about the Swift, but 11 or 12k seems to be doable! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-274392203.htm

Last edited by irnbru14; Mar 22nd 2010 at 8:58 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:43 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

One thing i found handy.. go to www.carjam.co.nz when you see something you like, enter the registration number and it'll give you a rundown of the mileage at every WOF (MOT) test , seen some clocked cars by doing this
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bga
One thing i found handy.. go to www.carjam.co.nz when you see something you like, enter the registration number and it'll give you a rundown of the mileage at every WOF (MOT) test , seen some clocked cars by doing this
Thanks everyone. Do like the look of the Suzuki Swifts, but would prefer something slightly bigger.

Toyota Signature range would be ideal but just too expensive at the moment, cheapest I could get is s $13k Vitz which is too small.

Had a look last night on trademe/autotrader and saw quite a few Honda Civics which fit the bill up the road at stealers from us (Takapuna/Glenfield) in our price range. Don't really want to spend over 10k if we can, as although we could, we just want to look for something decent and not spend too much.

Whats the usual turnaround time at dealers over here? I know when I have brought cars in the UK then tend to take weeks to fill out the paperwork, but so far everything in NZ seems to go a lot quicker, so hopeful with the car sales as well.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:33 am
bga
Forum Regular

No expert as i've only done it once, but my experience was 1 week from start to finish - this was mainly due to a minor repair i wanted doing before i parted with my cash , got the feeling i could have driven away on the day, BTW the garage i bought it from took me down to the local AA place where they do all the change of ownership paperwork for you
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone. Do like the look of the Suzuki Swifts, but would prefer something slightly bigger.

Toyota Signature range would be ideal but just too expensive at the moment, cheapest I could get is s $13k Vitz which is too small.

Had a look last night on trademe/autotrader and saw quite a few Honda Civics which fit the bill up the road at stealers from us (Takapuna/Glenfield) in our price range. Don't really want to spend over 10k if we can, as although we could, we just want to look for something decent and not spend too much.

Whats the usual turnaround time at dealers over here? I know when I have brought cars in the UK then tend to take weeks to fill out the paperwork, but so far everything in NZ seems to go a lot quicker, so hopeful with the car sales as well.
Sorting out finance would be the bit that takes the time if you are going for it, plus your car insurance, but even then 4 or 5 days is easily achievable depending on the dealership.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Or go to an auction and drive it away same day!