Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Canterbury Advice On Areas Please

Canterbury Advice On Areas Please

Old Sep 5th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all
Question Canterbury Advice On Areas Please

Hi there, Boyfriend has been offered a job and we have just found out his job is on the Immediate skills shortage list. The job is in sydenham christchurch. Ideally we want to live rural but have no idea about surrounding districts, he is willing to commute an hour to work, can anybody advise us on how far from sydenham would an hours travel take us (districts???) any way....LOL!
sorry if I sound a bit silly, we have seen some great houses on allrealestate.co.nz when we search in canterbury but we keep getting stuck on how far away they are from sydenham...thankyou in advance....stacey
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:08 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canterbury Advice On Areas Please

Originally Posted by stacey19
Hi there, Boyfriend has been offered a job and we have just found out his job is on the Immediate skills shortage list. The job is in sydenham christchurch. Ideally we want to live rural but have no idea about surrounding districts, he is willing to commute an hour to work, can anybody advise us on how far from sydenham would an hours travel take us (districts???) any way....LOL!
sorry if I sound a bit silly, we have seen some great houses on allrealestate.co.nz when we search in canterbury but we keep getting stuck on how far away they are from sydenham...thankyou in advance....stacey
Look at wise maps
http://www.wises.co.nz

put in your place name and bobs you thingy.

I would say Lincoln or Rangiora is about 1hr to town
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stacey19
An hour away from Sydenham practically takes you to the mountains...
Sydenham is a 10-15 min walk from the city centre, 10-15 min walk from nice suburbs of Beckenham and lower Cashmere, a 10 min drive from lovely houses and views on the hills (Cashmere).
If you want rural, then around Halswell (15 min drive) and Lincoln (25 min drive) would be on the right side of town... Or Governers' Bay is simply fab on the other side of the hills up and over Dyers Pass Road with views across Lyttleton Harbour.
Look for anywhere south or east, if you go as far north as the airport you have probably gone too far. And discount northern areas (Rangiora, Kaiapoi) as just being too difficult for this commute.

Be aware that for rural living in NZ there is no public transport, so you will have to have a car each, and drive where ever you want to go.

Download a map, and if you find areas you are interested in, post them up and we can say how practical it is. Maybe an hour commute will not fit into your new kiwi lifestyle - thinking about the price of petrol too - there is no need to live that far out if you work in Christchurch. ChCh is really not that big, there is a lot of space around without going that far away.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:18 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

I stand guided by your more intimate knowledge of the city, its just that it took me a good 50 mins to get into city centre from Lincoln having come from Akaroa. Can only put it down to traffic
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
I stand guided by your more intimate knowledge of the city, its just that it took me a good 50 mins to get into city centre from Lincoln having come from Akaroa. Can only put it down to traffic
If you were driving from Lincoln/Halswell into Sydenham, you would travel down Sparks Rd, a route without too many traffic lights etc. I guess between 8:30 and 9 this would take longer, maybe 35-40 min... def less than an hour though.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
If you were driving from Lincoln/Halswell into Sydenham, you would travel down Sparks Rd, a route without too many traffic lights etc. I guess between 8:30 and 9 this would take longer, maybe 35-40 min... def less than an hour though.
we live in halswell, i work on the eastside of central city, it takes me 20-25mins to drive into work peak time, avoiding Lincoln Rd as this is where the traffic sits - I would suggest about 15mins to sydenham going along cashmere road. Halswell is a great place to live - close enough to chch centre if we want to go in, but fully self contained so that we don't have to go in.
Vicki
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:44 pm
back in NZ and lovin it

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

What does your b/friend do? Is his job with Citycare by chance? My husband was offered a job there last nov and we are just about ready to move and are booking flights for mid November.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

It take 20-30 minutes to the city from Rangiora.

40 to the Sockburn industrial are and 20 minutes to the airport !

I live in Rangiora and have done for 2 years.

Any help you need give us a shout
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

And discount northern areas (Rangiora, Kaiapoi) as just being too difficult for this commute.
Your having a laugh, its straight down SH1.
I leave home at 7.10am and am at work before 8am every morning, sometimes I leave at 7.30'ish and am still at work for 8am and I work in Sockburn.
The traffic here is nothing !

The good point of living in Rockin Rangi is the house prices, you get more for you $
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Your having a laugh, its straight down SH1.
I leave home at 7.10am and am at work before 8am every morning, sometimes I leave at 7.30'ish and am still at work for 8am and I work in Sockburn.
The traffic here is nothing !

The good point of living in Rockin Rangi is the house prices, you get more for you $
Mmmm, straight down SH1 on a motorway that is how long? Maybe 10 km? Then you have to come through the suburbs of northern ChCh (Papanui and Merivale or Marshlands and Shirley) then you have to get through the city centre to Sydenham, on the southern side of the city centre. If the one way system does disappear next year that will be fun
When you compare that to coming in from Halswell or Lincoln, then I know which I would rather do!
I am guessing you commute to Sockburn by going around the city not through it?
Besides, why do a big commute when what you are looking for could be much closer?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Besides, why do a big commute when what you are looking for could be much closer?
Fair point, but the same house in Rangiora would be cheaper.

And its not a big commute really is it !
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, but the same house in Rangiora would be cheaper.

And its not a big commute really is it !
It's not a big commute in UK terms and as the traffic is much lighter than most of the UK it will initially feel like a dream, however once you're used to NZ driving times and the fact that you don't have to spend so long travelling I think it would start to feel a little onerous.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshlin
It's not a big commute in UK terms and as the traffic is much lighter than most of the UK it will initially feel like a dream, however once you're used to NZ driving times and the fact that you don't have to spend so long travelling I think it would start to feel a little onerous.
I can't believe that your making a 20-30 minute drive sound bad !

I've been doing the drive for 2 years now and its nothing, a pleasure if anything. Crossing 2 rivers and mountain views helps de stress (if there is stress out here) after a days work.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

I can't believe that your making a 20-30 minute drive sound bad !

I've been doing the drive for 2 years now and its nothing, a pleasure if anything. Crossing 2 rivers and mountain views helps de stress (if there is stress out here) after a days work.
Perhaps she was meaning driving in to ChCh and driving through ChCh to work in Sydenham.

I don't think anyone is questioning your choice, there is no need to be so defensive about your decision to live in Rangiora and the ease of commuting to Sockburn. I am thinking of the OP who is driving into Sydenham, and trying to give good advice to them.

BTW, OP, the posts that have come in about you original questions seem to make out that this is going to be confusing and difficult for you. It isn't. When you get out here you will find that there are heaps of choices and you will find a good one for you and yours. Please don't let this discussion put you off coming to a great city in a great place so close to awesome mountains, rivers and lakes.

I still maintain that there is no need to be commuting for 60 min when you live or work in ChCh. Part of moving to NZ, and ChCh in particular, is a change in lifestyle, and less commuting is part of it.