Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Canada or New Zealand WHV - any thoughts?

Canada or New Zealand WHV - any thoughts?

Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

karl2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada or New Zealand WHV - any thoughts?

Hi There,

I recently went to Australia in the summer for 3 months (Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns) and had a great time. Met loads of people and managed to find a well-paying job for 8 weeks. However, I did use my 'once-in-a-lifetime' working holiday visa for Australia, so I can't go back there to work unfortunately.

However, When I graduate from uni (In my final year atm), I hope to go travelling again.

Ideally; I'd have ambitious to settle down somewhere and work for a fair bit as I wouldn't want to spend loads of my savings. I'm thinking jobs such as office admin / data entry etc???

However, having researched online, I'm unsure where to go. Obviously I'd need a working holiday visa..... so I think I only have a choice of two countries: New Zealand or Canada... I'm a UK citizen btw.

Having read up on the two countries, I've found that Canadas' minimum wage is very low, and the country has been effected badly by the recession. (Not really the case with AUS). Likewise, I've heard many kiwis are heading to Australia as there are no jobs in NZ.

I wondered if any of you had advice or suggestions on what I should do? If so, what cities are best in Canada/ NZ?

Many Thanks in advance for any replies.

Karl.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada or New Zealand WHV - any thoughts?

Whatever the minimum wage situation, the fact is that Canada has become a far, far more prosperous country than NZ. Just a little research will tell you that average Canadian wages are much higher. Note also that the Canadian minimum wage which you are looking at could be linked to tips, which often form a large component of income in service sector jobs such as restaurants and bars and would be on top of the minimum wage.

Canada's resource sector, like Australia's, is generally short of staff so if you were prepared to do the hard yards in something like mining or forestry you could probably make a killing. NZ doesn't really have anything like that.

But you need to weigh up the pros and cons of each option. For example (unless you go to Vancouver) do you really want to trapse around in the Canadian snow and ice for six months a year?

I think it's possible to obtain a second Aus WHV if certain conditions are fulfilled (?)

Best wishes
DC

Last edited by DC10; Dec 17th 2011 at 10:27 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:46 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karl2010

However, having researched online, I'm unsure where to go. Obviously I'd need a working holiday visa..... so I think I only have a choice of two countries: New Zealand or Canada... I'm a UK citizen btw.
Karl, you have not really done that much research! Sometimes I dispair of your generations inability to be able to find out information for themselves, this is not the first post regarding WHV that a really quick search on google will give all the answers you need (it's better than getting your mum to do it).

You are eligible for 2 x WHV for Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm

You are also, as a UK citizen entitled to WHV's for Singapore and Japan.

As for the type of work yo want, why don't you expand your horizons a bit. In NZ there are whole industry segments that rely on WHV holders, skiing, tourist boats, wineries, agriculture, bar work etc.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

karl2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Thanks for the replies so far.

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Karl, you have not really done that much research! Sometimes I dispair of your generations inability to be able to find out information for themselves, this is not the first post regarding WHV that a really quick search on google will give all the answers you need (it's better than getting your mum to do it).

You are eligible for 2 x WHV for Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm

You are also, as a UK citizen entitled to WHV's for Singapore and Japan.

As for the type of work yo want, why don't you expand your horizons a bit. In NZ there are whole industry segments that rely on WHV holders, skiing, tourist boats, wineries, agriculture, bar work etc.
I can't get a second Australian WHV as you have to complete 3 months rural work. My first visa expires in June 2012, which is when I graduate from uni: so no chance!

I read about singapore, but apparently having researched ().... you have to have a job offer beforehand. Japan for me, would be too difficult considering the language barrier.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:06 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

why not do both? I think they would both be great places to WH.

Also, "Canada" doesn't have a minimum wage. This is set by the province. For example, in my province (BC) the min wage is around $10 per hour, but other provinces will be different. re: Recession again it depends which province. my province is doing ok as it's a resource rich place, Alberta is fine, Nfld/Labrador is booming...but Ontario/Quebec have been badly hit due to being manufacturing centres.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 18th 2011 at 12:13 am.