Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:31 pm

NZ_BOUND will become famous soon enoughNZ_BOUND will become famous soon enough
Question Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Hi to everyone,

We have just joined the forum as we have found some excellent info on emigrating, but have a question we can't find an answer to.

We are looking to emigrate on a talent/work to residency scheme and were wondering if anyone could tell us if you can get a mortgage when on this scheme or do you need to be a permanent resident.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:08 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Originally Posted by NZ_BOUND
Hi to everyone,

We have just joined the forum as we have found some excellent info on emigrating, but have a question we can't find an answer to.

We are looking to emigrate on a talent/work to residency scheme and were wondering if anyone could tell us if you can get a mortgage when on this scheme or do you need to be a permanent resident.

Don't know the answer to this one, sorry, but just wanted to say welcome to the madhoose and hope some other kind soul will have the answers for you!!

You could have a look at this link and maybe send them an email - they'll be delighted to help you I would think!!! http://www.asbbank.co.nz/section341.asp

Oh and I've sent you some welcome karma so you've got your first blue box coz I'm loaded man..... anybody else want some????

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 1st 2005 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:15 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

WEll done Pinkie, helpful as always. Sorry, I can't be of any help but also sent you some welcome karma

Phyl
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:48 am

Smile Re: Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Thanks for the welcome I'm sure we'll be asking some more questions that you might be able to help out on!

We'll check out the link and let you know how we go on.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to everyone,

Also ask yourselves whether you *should* be thinking about buying property in NZ when there's no guarantee you'll be able to stay.

Why not fix the problem at source and go for permanent residence immediately?

One issue of which you do need to be aware of is the new 5 year rule for citizenship, assuming you're not covered by the transitional rules - under the new rules, the clock only starts ticking when you get PR - not before.

Jeremy
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 6:40 pm

Thumbs up Re: Can you get a mortgage on work to residency scheme

Originally Posted by JAJ
Also ask yourselves whether you *should* be thinking about buying property in NZ when there's no guarantee you'll be able to stay.

Why not fix the problem at source and go for permanent residence immediately?

One issue of which you do need to be aware of is the new 5 year rule for citizenship, assuming you're not covered by the transitional rules - under the new rules, the clock only starts ticking when you get PR - not before.

Jeremy
Many thanks for your reply Jeremy.

You have got a valid point for us to consider which has been at the back of our minds and has now surfaced!

The question I will be posting on a new thread on the immigration forum will be something like if I come over to NZ via a work to resident route can I still apply for the Skilled Migrant residency whilst I'm under the work to residency route? So if you can help can you find our new post and reply there please?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 6:44 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your reply Jeremy.

You have got a valid point for us to consider which has been at the back of our minds and has now surfaced!

The question I will be posting on a new thread on the immigration forum will be something like if I come over to NZ via a work to resident route can I still apply for the Skilled Migrant residency whilst I'm under the work to residency route? So if you can help can you find our new post and reply there please?
I would recommend you still post it here as the immegration forum is swamped in Aussie stuff and most wannabe kiwis don't use it.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Biddy
I would recommend you still post it here as the immegration forum is swamped in Aussie stuff and most wannabe kiwis don't use it.
OK - I will (at least it gets a look in from both forums - one for immigration specific and one for lifestyle in NZ specific).

Thanks for the tip - here's some karma.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to everyone,

Hi there

I am travelling to NZ on the talent visa and have been told that I should encounter no problems in getting a mortgage under this scheme provided I can stump up 20% of the house price for a mortgage.

However I do already have an offer of a permanent job in NZ so I don´t know if that makes any difference.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:54 pm
pompeymike

Hi to everyone,

When we first arrived here the banks told us we couldn't get any credit until we got PR but...if you've got a decent deposit to put down on a property the banks will definitely give you a mortgage. If you've got 20-25% to put down on a property there's no way they'll turn you down - they've got nothing to lose.

Mike

Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:19 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Brother in Law did it ok.....and now he's an overstayer!