Can you do this?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you do this?

Hello, can you move money from the UK from a joint account which is in hubbie and wife's name into NZ via hubbie's sole account (who earns virtually nought as wife is the bread winner) to be tax effective?

IE, I would be charged 19.5% whereas any money in an account with wife's name on it will attract 34% or thereabouts. Is this acceptable? Anyone know?? Thank you in anticipation.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:28 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you do this?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hello, can you move money from the UK from a joint account which is in hubbie and wife's name into NZ via hubbie's sole account (who earns virtually nought as wife is the bread winner) to be tax effective?

IE, I would be charged 19.5% whereas any money in an account with wife's name on it will attract 34% or thereabouts. Is this acceptable? Anyone know?? Thank you in anticipation.

Common sense says 'yes'.

Why would you not be able to do this? You are free to pass money between each other freely. So I suppose the way it would be looked at is your wife is giving you her half of the money in your current joint account.

This is exactly the sort of thing financially astute people do.

I have just set up a regular savings account in my name, since I am in a similar situation to you. Technically it is hubbie's earnt money, but that is one of the 'benefits' of being married, is it not?

One more thing worth checking out though is if you can qualify for the 4 year investment ruling which would give you 4 years interest on offshore accounts tax free? You may have moved to NZ before it came into effect, but if not, do the sums on whether it is worth earning a slightly lower interest rate but net of any tax, or an NZ rate at the 19.5% you mentioned. Another advantage of doing this is that the current exchange rate is CRAP.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Common sense says 'yes'.

Why would you not be able to do this? You are free to pass money between each other freely. So I suppose the way it would be looked at is your wife is giving you her half of the money in your current joint account.

This is exactly the sort of thing financially astute people do.

I have just set up a regular savings account in my name, since I am in a similar situation to you. Technically it is hubbie's earnt money, but that is one of the 'benefits' of being married, is it not?

One more thing worth checking out though is if you can qualify for the 4 year investment ruling which would give you 4 years interest on offshore accounts tax free? You may have moved to NZ before it came into effect, but if not, do the sums on whether it is worth earning a slightly lower interest rate but net of any tax, or an NZ rate at the 19.5% you mentioned. Another advantage of doing this is that the current exchange rate is CRAP.
Thank you for your comments, i was just wondering about that 'gift tax' IRD comment earlier..however we have not moved money in the way that suggested gift tax is applicable no I come to think of it.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:08 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;5894998] gift tax QUOTE]

Good point. No idea if this is applicable to your scenario. One would hope not. It's no surprise people generally don't save (much) is it? Lots of other factors come into the save/spend/debt debate I know, but it just sprung to mind.

Maybe Cyberpunk will come along and have some advice.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Feb 6th 2008 at 5:10 pm.