British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Can we manage on $80k (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/can-we-manage-%2480k-690451/)

Bo-Jangles Jul 21st 2011 11:55 am

Re: Can we manage on $80k

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9508973)
To imply that a family of four can live on $64,000 or even $80,000 is simply irresponsible, and I wonder why someone would say that. Are you so desperate for people to come over - why?.

I agree with you, I don't understand why people would even try to convince others that they're families can live well on those sorts of sums. Each to their own; there are a million and one variables and I appreciate that some people do of course manage to live on low incomes, there is also assistance to low income families in the form of working for families tax credits. I can't for the life of me see the big attraction in NZ which would make people want to live like that.

The single biggest difference we all have is our housing costs and this is where I think the disbelief and disparity arises. We pay over $1000 per fortnight in mortgage payments, so we're talking over $27k per year just to have a tin roof over our head, without all the associated costs of rates, bills and upkeep.

We're two adults who in the past six months have spent $29476, (Average of $2267 per fortnight) to basically stay at home in our house and go nowhere other than to work and back. We don't have kids to feed and clothe, no school fees, uniforms or books to pay for, nor do we drink or smoke and we rarely go out. We might have a takeaway meal or a bottle of wine once in a full moon - probably three times I can recall this year so far.

If people are living in the best and most expensive Auckland suburbs on $80k they must owe next to nothing in mortgages or are renting. Renting property here is undoubtedly cheaper than buying and that old mortgage free scenario raises it's head. If we didn't have any mortgage $80k ($2,286 per fortnight) would seem like a comfortable living wage.

Am Loolah Jul 21st 2011 12:21 pm

I'm trying to bring up 3 kids on approximately $30,000 pa on my own, no mortgage. Impossible.

DC10 Jul 21st 2011 12:32 pm

That sounds really tough, but with all due respect that would be an almost impossible task anywhere in the developed world.

Am Loolah Jul 21st 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9509223)
That sounds really tough, but with all due respect that would be an almost impossible task anywhere in the developed world.

Feel free to tell that to my ex ... :rolleyes:

davros1984 Jul 22nd 2011 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9509159)
I agree with you, I don't understand why people would even try to convince others that they're families can live well on those sorts of sums. Each to their own; there are a million and one variables and I appreciate that some people do of course manage to live on low incomes, there is also assistance to low income families in the form of working for families tax credits. I can't for the life of me see the big attraction in NZ which would make people want to live like that.

The single biggest difference we all have is our housing costs and this is where I think the disbelief and disparity arises. We pay over $1000 per fortnight in mortgage payments, so we're talking over $27k per year just to have a tin roof over our head, without all the associated costs of rates, bills and upkeep.

We're two adults who in the past six months have spent $29476, (Average of $2267 per fortnight) to basically stay at home in our house and go nowhere other than to work and back. We don't have kids to feed and clothe, no school fees, uniforms or books to pay for, nor do we drink or smoke and we rarely go out. We might have a takeaway meal or a bottle of wine once in a full moon - probably three times I can recall this year so far.

If people are living in the best and most expensive Auckland suburbs on $80k they must owe next to nothing in mortgages or are renting. Renting property here is undoubtedly cheaper than buying and that old mortgage free scenario raises it's head. If we didn't have any mortgage $80k ($2,286 per fortnight) would seem like a comfortable living wage.

Seriously...... its nothing about being desperate. You look at the average car here in NZ... its not a less than 3-year old Ford Focus or BMW, its more like a 5-10 year old car.

Laura and I came over to NZ.. with approximately $9,500 between us. With that.... we have put a deposit on a rental, half-furnished our 2-bed flat (using trademe), had several large food shops, bought clothes for work, paid for initial temporary accommodation, went on a weeks holiday (stayed in a Bach) up in Whangerai and still have approximately $2500-3000 left! For a while, Laura who earns less than $60,000 has been providing for both of us just fine, rent, bills (phone/internet/electricity) and food. FYI... we are able to do a full weeks shop for about $100-110 a week (excepting milk). Over a fortnight our food bill comes to around $230. That is less than the last few shops we did in the UK when roughly buying the same amount.

Recently.. I have managed to get a job, and between us will be bringing in over a 6-figure salary (not trying to boast.. just stating our situation). Granted, we do not have a mortgage, granted we do not run 2 sports cars... but we are renting in a more expensive suburb and could easily live on just Laura's salary - but we really want to save and explore this side of the world.

Looking at our costs... are

rent approx $2000 a month (this includes council tax/rates & water). Electricity approx $130 a month
Internet $155 a month (as we have paid for a large data allowance).
My bus fare $120 a month
Laura's is about $60.
Food $450 approx a month
We went out for a curry and spent about $45 for both of us including a main meal and beers each.

So even an outgoing of say $3000 a month is well within the $60,000 per annum figure.

I hope this above info helps.. but really, you can easily live off of a set salary, just need to budget and buy wisely!

BEVS Jul 22nd 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9508828)
Traditional, yeah right!! Remind us when was it last $3 to the pound. :rofl:

I think it did it very briefly in 2004. We didn't get that mind you.

billingham Jul 22nd 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by davros1984 (Post 9510931)
Seriously...... its nothing about being desperate. You look at the average car here in NZ... its not a less than 3-year old Ford Focus or BMW, its more like a 5-10 year old car.

Laura and I came over to NZ.. with approximately $9,500 between us. With that.... we have put a deposit on a rental, half-furnished our 2-bed flat (using trademe), had several large food shops, bought clothes for work, paid for initial temporary accommodation, went on a weeks holiday (stayed in a Bach) up in Whangerai and still have approximately $2500-3000 left! For a while, Laura who earns less than $60,000 has been providing for both of us just fine, rent, bills (phone/internet/electricity) and food. FYI... we are able to do a full weeks shop for about $100-110 a week (excepting milk). Over a fortnight our food bill comes to around $230. That is less than the last few shops we did in the UK when roughly buying the same amount.

Recently.. I have managed to get a job, and between us will be bringing in over a 6-figure salary (not trying to boast.. just stating our situation). Granted, we do not have a mortgage, granted we do not run 2 sports cars... but we are renting in a more expensive suburb and could easily live on just Laura's salary - but we really want to save and explore this side of the world.

Looking at our costs... are

rent approx $2000 a month (this includes council tax/rates & water). Electricity approx $130 a month
Internet $155 a month (as we have paid for a large data allowance).
My bus fare $120 a month
Laura's is about $60.
Food $450 approx a month
We went out for a curry and spent about $45 for both of us including a main meal and beers each.

So even an outgoing of say $3000 a month is well within the $60,000 per annum figure.

I hope this above info helps.. but really, you can easily live off of a set salary, just need to budget and buy wisely!

The OP was about whether a family of 4 could live on $80,000 - so the point of your post was? I assume you have no car (bus fares) and can make do with a 2 bedroom property. Have you ever had children? The OP can only have one income as both children are under school age.

KayC Jul 22nd 2011 6:54 am

As the OP I would like to say that we are here - we are renting a nice 3 bed house in a reasonable area. We are running one car and so far (5 months in) we are managing just fine on $80,000.

The problem is everyone is different and everyone's outgoings are different.

But so far I would say yes it is doable. :thumbsup:

bourbon-biscuit Jul 22nd 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by KayC (Post 9511118)
As the OP I would like to say that we are here - we are renting a nice 3 bed house in a reasonable area. We are running one car and so far (5 months in) we are managing just fine on $80,000.

The problem is everyone is different and everyone's outgoings are different.

But so far I would say yes it is doable. :thumbsup:

Yay! Thanks for coming back and updating us :)

Luckybird Jul 22nd 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by KayC (Post 9511118)
The problem is everyone is different and everyone's outgoings are different. :

Have to agree, it all depends on what lifestyle you are after (or used to!) and your expectations for living in NZ....our family of four lived on 67,000 for 3-4 months, very tough and nothing left by the next payday and we are so glad we don't have to live on that now :blink:

All I can say is make sure you leave the 'rose coloured spec's' at the airport, do your research before you come out and shop around when you get here. Good luck :fingerscrossed: :D

Debbie2NZ Jul 22nd 2011 7:31 am

A full week's grocery shopping for around $110 ? Less than £55 ? Incredible !

Moliknickers Jul 22nd 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Debbi**** (Post 9511189)

Wow where are they shopping???

billingham Jul 22nd 2011 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Debbi**** (Post 9511189)

And that same person complained a month ago "Everything is so expensive here". How very, very strange.

Am Loolah Jul 22nd 2011 8:14 am

I have my weekly shop down to $120 approx for a family of four. But they only eat mince ... :rolleyes:

bourbon-biscuit Jul 22nd 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9511241)
I have my weekly shop down to $120 approx for a family of four. But they only eat mince ... :rolleyes:

Well done Loolah! As our income has crept up so has our expenditure. I think when we came out here in 2007 I used to spend approx $160 for four of us- now it's often over $250 (per week), though we have acquired a dog, 2 cats and 2 rats in that time. We've now got ourselves a mortgage and we need to get the grocery budget below $200 a week. Hmmm.