British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Can we manage on $80k (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/can-we-manage-%2480k-690451/)

KayC Oct 21st 2010 9:13 am

Can we manage on $80k

Hi,

I'm just after some advice, I have read so much about the expense of NZ, and how you need to earn at least $100k to survive.

Basically we are a family of 4 (3 year old and 1 year old) my husband has had a job offer of $80k, the job is in south auckland, and we would be looking to rent a 3 bed property. Is it doable??? We don't go out much here but would have the odd bottle of wine at home. We know we aren't going to be well off but we don't really want to be worse off than we are here.

We are going to rent our house out here as we don't really have time to sell, so would continue to rent in NZ for a couple of years.

Just would like to know opinions and experiences of others.

Thanks
KayC :)

LukeandJo Oct 21st 2010 9:25 am

Re: Can we manage on $80k

I think these types of questions are difficult to answer.
Some would say yes some would say no.

It is down to personal circumstances and potentially the sacrifices people are willing to make. I know you are after a baseline figure, but again that is different for all families.

We are taking over X amount of cash to see us through finding jobs and then work with what we have, aiming of course to get maximum renumeration in our line of work.

There are loads of past threads about living costs, maybe do a search and get some idea of figures which you can compare to how you live now.

Aliwales Oct 21st 2010 9:31 am

Hi there! Have a look at the thread titled "the dreaded question" just below yours it follows a similar vein!

Cheers Ali :D

KayC Oct 21st 2010 1:56 pm

Thank you - I will take a look at the other thread :)

Charismatic Oct 21st 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by KayC (Post 8932928)
I have read so much about the expense of NZ, and how you need to earn at least $100k to survive.

Not at all, to live what you’d call a “middle class” lifestyle in the UK you’d need NZ$100k/yr (Nice house, redecorating every couple of years, holidays abroad, new car every few years...the kind of thing you might expect as a professional in other countries).

Auckland is expensive but I know a family who live just out of Palmerston North (4 children, 2 adults) who make around $80k between them and live quite happily. They don’t have much spare money but they get by and that kind of sums up the New Zealand way of life in a way. They don’t go on holiday abroad or have new cars but they can afford the little luxuries here and there.

We probably are over cautious offering advice but it’s so regularly the thing people find most difficult in dropping their standard of living that we would be irresponsible not to mention it. You cannot be over plan regarding finances in moving here and we really do want people to come and enjoy this beautiful country without feeling cheated in any way :thumbsup:.

KayC Oct 21st 2010 3:24 pm

Thank you Charismatic,
We would also want to run one car, but doesn't need to be new and we certainly wouldn't be looking for new cars every few years. Although it would be nice to come back and visit relatives in the UK maybe every 3 or 4 years.

It is so hard to work what all the living expenses would be because everyone has such different lifestyles and different things are important to different people.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8933581)
Not at all, to live what you’d call a “middle class” lifestyle in the UK you’d need NZ$100k/yr (Nice house, redecorating every couple of years, holidays abroad, new car every few years...the kind of thing you might expect as a professional in other countries).

Auckland is expensive but I know a family who live just out of Palmerston North (4 children, 2 adults) who make around $80k between them and live quite happily. They don’t have much spare money but they get by and that kind of sums up the New Zealand way of life in a way. They don’t go on holiday abroad or have new cars but they can afford the little luxuries here and there.

We probably are over cautious offering advice but it’s so regularly the thing people find most difficult in dropping their standard of living that we would be irresponsible not to mention it. You cannot be over plan regarding finances in moving here and we really do want people to come and enjoy this beautiful country without feeling cheated in any way :thumbsup:.

educateer Oct 22nd 2010 7:12 am

Although we have been here under a year we are surviving on a single salary under $80k.

We are a family of four with two young children and are renting a reasonably large house south of Auckland. We aren't managing to 'save' on this income but we aren't going without anything. We have two cars, still eat well, go to the cinema and have travelled around a bit. We can't be extravagant but neither could we on a single salary back in GB.

KayC Oct 22nd 2010 7:54 am

Thank you Educateer! That is good to hear :)

Originally Posted by educateer (Post 8935127)
Although we have been here under a year we are surviving on a single salary under $80k.

We are a family of four with two young children and are renting a reasonably large house south of Auckland. We aren't managing to 'save' on this income but we aren't going without anything. We have two cars, still eat well, go to the cinema and have travelled around a bit. We can't be extravagant but neither could we on a single salary back in GB.

simonsi Oct 22nd 2010 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8933581)

Wow, different tune to the "dreaded question" thread where your answer to a similar question was 2x $65k after tax required....so nearly $200k gross!!! No wonder peeps on here end up confused by the cost of living threads :rofl::rofl::rofl:

$65k after tax for 2 adults and two children? You'd struggle anywhere in NZ TBH. Could you live in a rural town and both pull about $65k? You wouldn't be rich but you could save a little and live the quiet life.

simonsi Oct 22nd 2010 9:16 am

Originally Posted by KayC (Post 8932928)
Is it doable???

Yes! You will need to cut your cloth in some areas but there will be cloth to cut as it were.

Research the actual living costs in various threads, compare with your expected take-home in NZ, allow £10k to actually get here and then work from there...

KayC Oct 22nd 2010 10:04 am

Thank you simonsi,

We've done a spreadsheet of what we think the costs will be, so hopefully if we are close with that then I think we will be ok :D

And we've got around £10k for flights, removals etc. So :fingerscrossed: we should be all good :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8935279)
Yes! You will need to cut your cloth in some areas but there will be cloth to cut as it were.

Research the actual living costs in various threads, compare with your expected take-home in NZ, allow £10k to actually get here and then work from there...

simonsi Oct 22nd 2010 6:04 pm

:thumbsup:

bourbon-biscuit Oct 23rd 2010 4:56 am

One car, budget for meals, mind the 'fritter' and probably no trips back to Blighty and it's doable I think. A poster recently asked about $65K in Auckland and I think that would be very tough but $80K is probably doable but tight. $80k in other areas would afford a pretty nice lifestyle however :)

You should know that flights back to the UK for a family of four tend to be in the $11-15K range and that's before any expenses while there. It's very hard on a NZ income ... we've relied on rellies for several trips :o

dorrick Oct 23rd 2010 6:17 am

Just a thought for people who want to go home for a visit after a few years. Think about an Amex card. Not suggesting debt - we pay ours off every month. Get great "points' that can be used for many things including airlines.
We have used the points twice now to visit our kids in UK. We flew Singapore airlines last year - you do have to pay some airport costs that they won't let you use points for - we paid only $700 per person last year for return fares.
We put EVERYTHING on the card - supermarket, petrol , power bill, clothes, dentist bill- my husband even uses it at the dairy! But I think that is taking things too far :).
It is mind boggling how much you actually spend in a year - so large number of points and if saved over several years very, very helpful.

PS Singapore airlines are great. The air-side hotel in Singapore with cheap short stay rooms (can book in 6 hr blocks) is terrific. No need to pick up luggage or go through immigration. We have a quick 3 hour sleep, shower and ready for the rest of the long haul. Imagine it is really helpful for families as well us 'mature' travellers.

BEVS Oct 23rd 2010 6:35 am

Originally Posted by dorrick (Post 8937124)
Just a thought for people who want to go home for a visit after a few years. Think about an Amex card. Not suggesting debt - we pay ours off every month. Get great "points' that can be used for many things including airlines.
We have used the points twice now to visit our kids in UK. We flew Singapore airlines last year - you do have to pay some airport costs that they won't let you use points for - we paid only $700 per person last year for return fares.
We put EVERYTHING on the card - supermarket, petrol , power bill, clothes, dentist bill- my husband even uses it at the dairy! But I think that is taking things too far :).
It is mind boggling how much you actually spend in a year - so large number of points and if saved over several years very, very helpful.

PS Singapore airlines are great. The air-side hotel in Singapore with cheap short stay rooms (can book in 6 hr blocks) is terrific. No need to pick up luggage or go through immigration. We have a quick 3 hour sleep, shower and ready for the rest of the long haul. Imagine it is really helpful for families as well us 'mature' travellers.

I like this. In fact, I really like this !

Bung it up again in another thread specifically for it. I do think we need a thread where we can show how saving points can help out. :thumbup: