Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can our dog come too??

Can our dog come too??

Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Can our dog come too??

Hopefully arriving in Chrishchurch NZ in September with my family on a student visa we were planning to bring our dog but have just read up that you can only bring a dog in on a work visa or residency. Can anyone help with any info on this? We are really stressing out now as we have to leave our other dog behind because she is to old to make the trip and cannot bare to leave this one as well (Kids are heartbroken - any ideas would be gratefully received Thank you Martin and Donna.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can our dog come too??

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hopefully arriving in Chrishchurch NZ in September with my family on a student visa we were planning to bring our dog but have just read up that you can only bring a dog in on a work visa or residency. Can anyone help with any info on this? We are really stressing out now as we have to leave our other dog behind because she is to old to make the trip and cannot bare to leave this one as well (Kids are heartbroken - any ideas would be gratefully received Thank you Martin and Donna.
Am Loolah is taking hers, see her thread below this one (Guess the Weight of my dogs). You could speak to her about it as she's going through it with 2 dogs
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you that. We're taking our dog to Chch in September - no one has asked us for our visas yet. They asked for passports but no mention of visas, are you sure?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:40 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StevieB
Am Loolah is taking hers, see her thread below this one (Guess the Weight of my dogs). You could speak to her about it as she's going through it with 2 dogs
Thanks Stevie!!!

Yes I'm taking 2 Dobermans - they're getting weighed & micro-chipped Monday. I had a quote for between £4,000 - £7,000 for both depending on the weight! Bit much methinks?!

I'm going on residency as cunningly married a Kiwi decades ago and I honestly don't know about going on a student visa. But totally understand your dilemma - you just can't leave them behind. (The 4 kids on the other hand ...!!!)

See what else you can find out and if you get stuck we could possibly talk re: My bringing yours with mine? We're not going until mid-Jan tho, but adore dogs so may even consider sitting for you in between!

What breed?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thanks Stevie!!!

Yes I'm taking 2 Dobermans - they're getting weighed & micro-chipped Monday. I had a quote for between £4,000 - £7,000 for both depending on the weight! Bit much methinks?!

I'm going on residency as cunningly married a Kiwi decades ago and I honestly don't know about going on a student visa. But totally understand your dilemma - you just can't leave them behind. (The 4 kids on the other hand ...!!!)

See what else you can find out and if you get stuck we could possibly talk re: My bringing yours with mine? We're not going until mid-Jan tho, but adore dogs so may even consider sitting for you in between!

What breed?
Hi Thanks for your reply, he is a border collie called Ivor 13 years old but still with it, our other dog is also a border collie called Jake (female though) and is 15+ but vet already said she cannot come with us. We have got a sitter for them hopefully, thanks for your offer and help we will see what we can find out. Martin and Donna
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Who told you that. We're taking our dog to Chch in September - no one has asked us for our visas yet. They asked for passports but no mention of visas, are you sure?
Hi, It is just what we have read on the web tonight, need to look into it abit more, but panicked and wanted to know if anyone knew anything.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:20 pm

Hi, It is just what we have read on the web tonight, need to look into it abit more, but panicked and wanted to know if anyone knew anything.
Hate to add to your worrie, but we read somewhere that vets rarely sign off any dogs over 12 years old to travel that far? Maybe speak to your vet?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:23 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

I took my cat to Nz a couple of years back...I was on a 12 month holiday visa, and the ex wife was on a year long Working Hol Visa. We had no problem taking him at all, no bond to pay, no qestions etc, you just need to make sureyou have all the relevant Defra paperwork etc.

One thing I will say is get him Rabies vaccinated (and all other yearly booster shots are required). I had no intention of returning to the UK, so didn't have my cat vaccinated (don't need to have rabies shot to get into NZ), however my ex had a change of heart after a few short weeks, leaving me stuffed (Hol visa only, remember...it's what finally nailed the coffin and split us), and I had to return to the UK. However, because kitty was not rabies vaccinated he had to stay in quarantine for 6 months as the rules for UK return are different.....basically UK to NZ is ok, no rabies problem, but back the other way? No, sorry, he needs the vaccine....bizarre as neither country has rabies, but there you go, that's the UK for you. We paid £600 for a cat, I expect twice that at least for a big dog...

Rich
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hate to add to your worrie, but we read somewhere that vets rarely sign off any dogs over 12 years old to travel that far? Maybe speak to your vet?
We are taking him to vets on Monday so we will see what they have to say.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:17 pm

We are taking him to vets on Monday so we will see what they have to say.
Any news on Ivor? Mine weighed in at 32 kg and 35 kg and only cost £37:30 for both to be micro-chipped. Look on www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm for advice re: vaccinations depending which route you travel.

Caroline
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any news on Ivor? Mine weighed in at 32 kg and 35 kg and only cost £37:30 for both to be micro-chipped. Look on www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm for advice re: vaccinations depending which route you travel.

Caroline
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for asking about Ivor, the vet is fine about him going, he had his booster jab today and she want the details we printed of computer regarding the rest of the things he has to have. We emailed MAF (New Zealand Agricultural and Fisheries) and they sent us a link to look at that lists all the rules and regs http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...omaniic.uk.htm

It doesn't say what type of visa is required to import, so will have to look further into that. Ivor weighs about 25kg. Which company are you using to transport your doggies (by the way - what are their names?), or which ones have you looked into?

Donna (Martin got me to type this one - he is on the Stella again and said I would type it faster!!)
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:35 pm

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for asking about Ivor, the vet is fine about him going, he had his booster jab today and she want the details we printed of computer regarding the rest of the things he has to have. We emailed MAF (New Zealand Agricultural and Fisheries) and they sent us a link to look at that lists all the rules and regs http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...omaniic.uk.htm

It doesn't say what type of visa is required to import, so will have to look further into that. Ivor weighs about 25kg. Which company are you using to transport your doggies (by the way - what are their names?), or which ones have you looked into?

Donna (Martin got me to type this one - he is on the Stella again and said I would type it faster!!)
Hi Donna

We're both of the vino, purely to cope with the stress of our "To Write Down In Pretty Notebook And Maybe Get Round To Doing 2 Weels Before we Leave List"!

Thanks for that link will have a look. Seems they'll need rabies vaccinations just incase you want to return after 6 months - coz that's likely!!

We'll probably get them sent via Singapore, the way we went last time and will prob go again, so do need to be aware may need different jabs for whichever route they're shipped.

But that's great news that the old boy can at least come?!

Mine are Stanley (nearly 5) and Misty (2).

Caroline
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:35 pm

Hi Donna

We're both of the vino, purely to cope with the stress of our "To Write Down In Pretty Notebook And Maybe Get Round To Doing 2 Weels Before we Leave List"!

Thanks for that link will have a look. Seems they'll need rabies vaccinations just incase you want to return after 6 months - coz that's likely!!

We'll probably get them sent via Singapore, the way we went last time and will prob go again, so do need to be aware may need different jabs for whichever route they're shipped.

But that's great news that the old boy can at least come?!

Mine are Stanley (nearly 5) and Misty (2).

Caroline
Sorry, Shippers wise still have huge list to look through provided my kennels here - will let you know.!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:27 pm

Sorry, Shippers wise still have huge list to look through provided my kennels here - will let you know.!
Am thinking probably www.airpets.com
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Am thinking probably www.airpets.com
Thanks - will have a look at this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.