Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Red face Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!& Real Estate Agent

Just wondering if anyone NZ based can offer any advice after loads of research my family and I would like to consider emigrating to NZ and are coming out for a month at the end of the year,

Ive heard it is so difficult to get a visa many people give up - NOT THAT IM A QUITTER MIND! Is it easier to get into Oz? Im a 31 yo Estate Agent (4 years experience at Managerial level)and my partners a beautician so I guess we arnt exactly what NZ are after...is there anything in short supply there that I could retrain within a year? First ever time on a forum so thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Speargun; Feb 1st 2006 at 8:08 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:23 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

I'm sure lots of different people will give you a million different types of advise. We only made the decision 12 months ago that we wanted to emigrate, 12 months down the line we found jobs, got the visas, sold our house and moved everything to a country we'd never even visited. We now have just bought a house, our eldest daughter is settled in school, and we've just had our first visitors from the UK, with the next due in a few weeks - we love it!!

Our first port of call was to buy a couple of immigration type magazines in the UK - WHSmith sell them. From here you can get some useful names of companies and hear other people's stories. Then research the countries you're interested in - buy books on them, we bought a couple of travellers companions, along with "Working and Living in New Zealand". We also bought a "Where to Live in Auckland".

The next thing that we did that I would say was really useful was to get in touch with an immigration company - we used "The Emigration Group" based in Chester. We paid £95 to have them initially assess us on paper and provide us with options as to which country we may be eligible for points wise. The points system is always changing, I think the pass rates for NZ has recently been increased. We were then assessed as having insufficient points for Oz, but borderline NZ. We took it one step further with The Emigration Group, and went and had a 2 hour consultation with them at a cost of £195. Their consultant went through the whole process with us, areas, job market, process of application, costs etc - remember these guys want you to go to the next level with them and for you to pay over huge amounts of money to them for preparing your whole case. Personally I would say don't go any further than this stage unless you have a particularly complicated application.

You will then know whether you need a job to get your points, if you do then start looking around for a job - utilise the internet to get in touch with agents, you can also get access to the various jobsites.

We then did the remainder of our application all on-line and saved ourselves huge amounts of money (literally £1000s).

Knowing how the system works also helps - eg knowing that you have to have your medicals and what you need to pass them (ie supporting info if you've had ops/illnesses), up to date immunisations. Medicals usually have a large waiting list and also after having them they have a shelf life with the immigration service - so knowing when to book them. Likewise with police reports. Having your passports up to date, getting your full birth certificates.

Then there's all the ready cash you'll need to pay for your application, visa's, medicals, police reports etc. Then there's selling your house (if applicable), removal companies etc and then making sure that you've got sufficient cash when you get out here to go into a bond for a rented house, buying a car etc

It sounds like there's loads - and there is, however in a corney way "baby steps" is the way - tackle each little hill one at a time, before you know where you are you've climbed a mountain!!!

The expats forum is really useful for gaining information aswell as everyone has been through similar situation themselves, although everyone will have differing experiences and advise!

Coming out here to have a look around the place is probably a sensible idea, however we didn't - looking back with a young family perhaps we did risk an awful lot, however we had decided that we were leaving the UK, whether it be Oz, NZ or Canada we were going, so spending £5k on coming out here for a trip would not have served a purpose for us. There is also the other side of the coin that if you were to come out on "holiday" then when you finally move here for real that your expectations aren't met because you are now "living" not "holidaying".

If you want any specific advise let us know, we're reaping the rewards of all our hard work of the last 12 months!!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I'm sure lots of different people will give you a million different types of advise. We only made the decision 12 months ago that we wanted to emigrate, 12 months down the line we found jobs, got the visas, sold our house and moved everything to a country we'd never even visited. We now have just bought a house, our eldest daughter is settled in school, and we've just had our first visitors from the UK, with the next due in a few weeks - we love it!!

Our first port of call was to buy a couple of immigration type magazines in the UK - WHSmith sell them. From here you can get some useful names of companies and hear other people's stories. Then research the countries you're interested in - buy books on them, we bought a couple of travellers companions, along with "Working and Living in New Zealand". We also bought a "Where to Live in Auckland".

The next thing that we did that I would say was really useful was to get in touch with an immigration company - we used "The Emigration Group" based in Chester. We paid £95 to have them initially assess us on paper and provide us with options as to which country we may be eligible for points wise. The points system is always changing, I think the pass rates for NZ has recently been increased. We were then assessed as having insufficient points for Oz, but borderline NZ. We took it one step further with The Emigration Group, and went and had a 2 hour consultation with them at a cost of £195. Their consultant went through the whole process with us, areas, job market, process of application, costs etc - remember these guys want you to go to the next level with them and for you to pay over huge amounts of money to them for preparing your whole case. Personally I would say don't go any further than this stage unless you have a particularly complicated application.

You will then know whether you need a job to get your points, if you do then start looking around for a job - utilise the internet to get in touch with agents, you can also get access to the various jobsites.

We then did the remainder of our application all on-line and saved ourselves huge amounts of money (literally £1000s).

Knowing how the system works also helps - eg knowing that you have to have your medicals and what you need to pass them (ie supporting info if you've had ops/illnesses), up to date immunisations. Medicals usually have a large waiting list and also after having them they have a shelf life with the immigration service - so knowing when to book them. Likewise with police reports. Having your passports up to date, getting your full birth certificates.

Then there's all the ready cash you'll need to pay for your application, visa's, medicals, police reports etc. Then there's selling your house (if applicable), removal companies etc and then making sure that you've got sufficient cash when you get out here to go into a bond for a rented house, buying a car etc

It sounds like there's loads - and there is, however in a corney way "baby steps" is the way - tackle each little hill one at a time, before you know where you are you've climbed a mountain!!!

The expats forum is really useful for gaining information aswell as everyone has been through similar situation themselves, although everyone will have differing experiences and advise!

Coming out here to have a look around the place is probably a sensible idea, however we didn't - looking back with a young family perhaps we did risk an awful lot, however we had decided that we were leaving the UK, whether it be Oz, NZ or Canada we were going, so spending £5k on coming out here for a trip would not have served a purpose for us. There is also the other side of the coin that if you were to come out on "holiday" then when you finally move here for real that your expectations aren't met because you are now "living" not "holidaying".

If you want any specific advise let us know, we're reaping the rewards of all our hard work of the last 12 months!!!!
Hi there
If you buy the "Where to live in Auckland" book as mentioned above make sure that its a recent publication. I saw my stepfather had one, and noted when reading his 2002 version that most of the property pices quoted for 2002 have nearly doubled since then on the Nth shore of Auckland.
Cheers
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:57 am
Just Joined

glennf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice to a newbie?!& Real Estate Agent

Originally Posted by Speargun
Just wondering if anyone NZ based can offer any advice after loads of research my family and I would like to consider emigrating to NZ and are coming out for a month at the end of the year,

Ive heard it is so difficult to get a visa many people give up - NOT THAT IM A QUITTER MIND! Is it easier to get into Oz? Im a 31 yo Estate Agent (4 years experience at Managerial level)and my partners a beautician so I guess we arnt exactly what NZ are after...is there anything in short supply there that I could retrain within a year? First ever time on a forum so thanks for any advice!
Can't give you any advice on Oz I'm afraid but the NZ process took us just 5 months from submitting the EOI to getting our PR visas. It helped tremendously that I had a job offer in NZ come through between submitting the EOI and submitting the application as the NZIS give priority to those with jobs waiting. The process is fairly complex but we did everything ourselves (including getting police reports from the Czech Republic where I had worked a few years ago) and as P18PPS says you just have to use the checklist you get with your ITA and go through it methodically. As far as medicals were concerned we only had to wait about two weeks (Herts area) so that wasn't an issue. One thing we found was to put as much onfo as possible on the EOI as this then all gets entered automatically in the ITA and you don't have to fill it all in again.

We've been here nearly 5 months now and more than willing to help with any specific queries.

Glennf
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Thankyou so much for all the advice It really is appreciated! In fact Ive statrted to take my first baby steps! Im in the process of completing the Emmigration Form you suggested!! I really appreciate the time youve taken to reply....very strange in the UK everyone is only out to look after themselves how refreshing already those of you in NZ are ready and willing to help!! Hopefully I can repay the assistance when I get there I can start offering advice to others wishing to follow me out!! One of the most important things Im looking forward to is beeing able to integrate into NZ culture and your attitudes over there!! and if you hear of anyone needing an experienced real estate agent - please dont hesitate to let me know!! thanks again!! Stuart

Originally Posted by P18PPS

Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm from the UK. English in fact. Not everyone in the UK is out for themselves .You will also find that some Kiwis in NZ are just out for themselves, as you put it. Most Brits are really helpful people, just as most Kiwis are, as you will find from using these emigration forums.
Sorry if that sounds a bit sour, but the point is there is the good , bad, the helpful and the indifferant where-ever you go in both the UK and NZ.

This is a link you may be very interested in.
It's about Real Estate training in New Zealand. I think one works towards a license.

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/pro...as/nd5325.html

Get in contact with them and have a chat. The open poly is extensively used throughtout NZ.

You may consider trying to secure a job offer from a Real Estate Agent . To do that an actual visit to the area where you wish to settle would be helpful.
Although Real Estate agent is not on the shortages lists, an NZ real estate agency could offer you a job, provided that they can prove that there is no Kiwi that could do that job. Your previous UK Estate Agents training and qualification may stand you in good stead there as the New Zealand estate agency would be able to make a case that you have a level of qualification already. The company would then need to seek approval from NZIS to allow you to take the job.

PI8PPS has given you an excellant step by step guide towards migration.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:31 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & welcome.

The only thing I thought you may need to know, if you don't already, is that unlike here in the UK, in NZ you need to have a professional licence/qualification to work as an estate agent.

Having said that, I believe Bookemjano's husband Steve who moved to NZ last year took a job as an estate agent which is not what he did here in the UK before the move. May be worth dropping them a private message.

Carmen.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks useful info - to be honest its probably a much better idea being licensed...the problem we have in the UK is that literally anyone can set up as an estate agent - and it doesnt always attract the most honest - its one of the most respected professions in the US and one of the least respected in the UK.
Will try and send them a private message and see if I can get licensed before I come on holiday....hopefully then I may get an Estate agent in NZ to respond to my emails!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your help I appreciate the point I think I probably didnt explain it too well and it was a massive generalisation! I really meant even when you are driving around here in the UK..many people do not have the time or patience with other drivers etc etc mmmm maybe I shouldnt go there been up too long with my nine week old daughter and shes driving me insane you wont get any sense out of me! However I do take you point and thanks for the info - appreciated

Cheers Stuart
Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Many thanks useful info - to be honest its probably a much better idea being licensed...the problem we have in the UK is that literally anyone can set up as an estate agent - and it doesnt always attract the most honest - its one of the most respected professions in the US and one of the least respected in the UK.
Will try and send them a private message and see if I can get licensed before I come on holiday....hopefully then I may get an Estate agent in NZ to respond to my emails!
Hi Speargun - I sell real estate in Wellington - the agency I work for would be delighted to take you on!

To apply for a licence - you can't do so yourself, it's done by the real estate agency which takes you on - as an independent contractor - no salaries, here, I'm afraid! What you have to do is attend the salespersons' course, which is the first part of a real estate diploma - in Wellington you can attend at the Open Poly, 3 days a week for 2 weeks, 9.00-1.00pm or in the CBD, 2 evenings a week for 3 weeks, 7.00-9.30pm. Distance learning is also possible - maybe even from the UK? There are written assignments throughout the course and a final oral examination which, when passed, enables your real estate agency to apply to the REINZ - real estate institute of NZ - for your licence - police checks are required. Your experience in the UK may get dispensation from some of the modules but you will still have to do the course by one method or another. Until you are licensed, it is illegal for you to talk to the general public about real estate - even at open homes, even if you are working alongside a licenced salesperson - unless it's your own home. When I did the course, cost was about $450 but there is a rumour that this has gone up or is going up to $2000?

The rest of the diploma course is optional and is only compulsory if you want to work as a Branch Manager - each branch has to have a licensed branch manager to oversee the salespersons - further study is required if you want to become a real estate agency owner/franchisee.

Most agencies run comprehensive in-house training courses for new salespersons - for which you will likely be charged - in my case around $700 - but it is not compulsory - just politic.

Once licensed, you have to develop your own business - the average selling fee in Wellington is probably around 3% of sale price + GST (Kiwi VAT) @ 12.5% Average sales price around $350k. Most new salespersons get round 55% of the selling fee - 45% going to the branch/agency . Of that 55%, 70% is the listing agents, 30% goes to the selling agent - so most try to list and sell - your agency colleagues can all have a crack at selling your listing but, if they do, you're still guaranteed the 70% listing fee. As you are self-employed, 20% withholding tax is taken out of any fees earned.

The office/branch will usually pick up your telephone costs, provide a desk - but not a personal computer - office computer, admin support, black&white photocopying, signage - other costs are charged and you are responsible for providing your own mobile phone, car, laptop, etc plus expenses.

Remax is here but generally only the established salespersons are Remax - monthly charges vary but around $3500 per month seems to be common, with salespersons retaining 70-90% - it's negotiated, depending on track record.

Turnover of salespersons is high - many can't weather the initial, no income, period which can be several months or can't canvas for business.

I agree that the licence system is much preferable to the UK where anyone can open up - and there are ongoing moves to tighten the legislation regarding selling real estate here.

Let me know if you have any other questions, etc.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:28 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

We applied for a job first and then got offered a job in writing. We then got a company to do the paper work, wich turned out the best thing as we hit major problems. We got turned down for a PR and ended up getting a 3 year work permit. This wasted a year. Maybe if things had been sorted earlier we would still be there. Still i think without professional help we may have been denied that too. NZQA kept on changing the rules during our application.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:25 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Hi Speargun - I sell real estate in Wellington
Great post. Well written and informative.

Also very interesting. I think I might set up an estate agency in NZ! Friends & family keep telling me to be an agent but with c. 45% of the selling fees going to the branch, that sounds pretty good to me given what they provide.

So I have just worked out the following based on an average sale as per your figures:

3% commission = $10 500 (+GST)
of this the branch gets c. $4725 (as a vendor this seems like an awful lot!)
salesperson gets c. $5775 if they list AND sell

however this is less likely when just starting out, thus it would be easier to sell other agents properties in the very beginning, in which case a salesperson would get $1732.50/average house. Two a month would be a good start and very achievable for the first month I would have thought.

I can see how real estate agents end up millionaires. And how good are agents at negotiating and project managing their deals? Hopefully they are better in NZ due to the licencing? As a serial buyer and seller, I have never been particularly impressed with my (UK) estate agents - ie the actual salesperson, but I do come from an IT sales background so perhaps my view is skewed by the training I have received and think the real estate industry would benefit from hugely.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha ha!!! What are you like UK+KIWI!! We will have to go into business together then!! ha ha! You can do the I.T. bit.....then again do IT departments really help with their aid to solve ALL problems!?!...."turn the computer off and turn it back on again" ha ha who really gets paid well for doing nothing! ha ha

Its a very complex business....gone are the days in the UK when two years even a year ago we were getting paid for doing very little!!!

Thanks by the way for the superb earlier post and I carnt thank Cottageinthesky highly enough!! really really appreciated - certainly gave me a much less rosy picture of the situation out there but I still want to come so badly.....udate the cheque and applications for the Emmigration company are in the post.....it sounds so sad but....actually first time ive been excited thinking of winging its way to the start of a potential new life! I think unfortunately Ive got more chance of getting into OZ as ive got a sister and brother with residency there!! but i think my heart will always be in NZ...another weird affect your Country is having on me!...I havent even been there and its still taking up the majority of my thoughts!!

Thanks so much cottageinthesky I guess its going to be pretty competitive there but carnt wait for the challenge that awaits!!!...hopefully....(as my nails get bitten too the ends :scared: )

Guess I better start saving as I know how long things take to complete...I guess you have the same problems with solicitors that I do!!

thanks to you all...true stars!

Stuart

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Great post. Well written and informative.

Also very interesting. I think I might set up an estate agency in NZ! Friends & family keep telling me to be an agent but with c. 45% of the selling fees going to the branch, that sounds pretty good to me given what they provide.

So I have just worked out the following based on an average sale as per your figures:

3% commission = $10 500 (+GST)
of this the branch gets c. $4725 (as a vendor this seems like an awful lot!)
salesperson gets c. $5775 if they list AND sell

however this is less likely when just starting out, thus it would be easier to sell other agents properties in the very beginning, in which case a salesperson would get $1732.50/average house. Two a month would be a good start and very achievable for the first month I would have thought.

I can see how real estate agents end up millionaires. And how good are agents at negotiating and project managing their deals? Hopefully they are better in NZ due to the licencing? As a serial buyer and seller, I have never been particularly impressed with my (UK) estate agents - ie the actual salesperson, but I do come from an IT sales background so perhaps my view is skewed by the training I have received and think the real estate industry would benefit from hugely.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Speargun]Ha ha!!! What are you like UK+KIWI!! We will have to go into business together then!! ha ha! You can do the I.T. bit.....then again do IT departments really help with their aid to solve ALL problems!?!...."turn the computer off and turn it back on again" ha ha who really gets paid well for doing nothing! ha ha

Its a very complex business....gone are the days in the UK when two years even a year ago we were getting paid for doing very little!!!

Thanks by the way for the superb earlier post and I carnt thank Cottageinthesky highly enough!! really really appreciated - certainly gave me a much less rosy picture of the situation out there but I still want to come so badly.....udate the cheque and applications for the Emmigration company are in the post.....it sounds so sad but....actually first time ive been excited thinking of winging its way to the start of a potential new life! I think unfortunately Ive got more chance of getting into OZ as ive got a sister and brother with residency there!! but i think my heart will always be in NZ...another weird affect your Country is having on me!...I havent even been there and its still taking up the majority of my thoughts!!

Thanks so much cottageinthesky I guess its going to be pretty competitive there but carnt wait for the challenge that awaits!!!...hopefully....(as my nails get bitten too the ends :scared: )

Guess I better start saving as I know how long things take to complete...I guess you have the same problems with solicitors that I do!!

thanks to you all...true stars! COTTAGEINTHESKY IS THERE ANY CHANCE YOU COULD SEND ME AN EMAIL? So I can ask you some questions? my email address is <email address removed to protect privacy>or at work <email address removed to protect privacy>MANY THANKS
Stu

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Feb 18th 2006 at 12:05 am. Reason: To remove email addresses - please send by pm in order to protect privacy - thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Speargun]
ors that I do!!

thanks to you all...true stars! COTTAGEINTHESKY IS THERE ANY CHANCE YOU COULD SEND ME AN EMAIL? So I can ask you some questions? my email address is <email address removed to protect privacy> or at work <email address removed to protect privacy>

MANY THANKS
Stu
Will do, Stuart.

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Feb 18th 2006 at 12:06 am. Reason: to remove personal email addresses...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.