Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Campervan or renting?

Campervan or renting?

Old May 28th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all
Default Campervan or renting?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a campervan when I arrive in New Zealand - and touring around in it until I find a job. I thought this would give me the flexibility to interview for jobs anywhere in New Zealand - rather than travelling from rented accomodation.
Apart from not being sure how future employers will regard me living in their car park the night before the interview.. Has anyone here spent much time in a campervan. Would it drive you nuts after a couple of days - or is this a decent option?
Old May 28th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Campervan or renting?

Originally Posted by Professional_Gypsy
I've been toying with the idea of buying a campervan when I arrive in New Zealand - and touring around in it until I find a job. I thought this would give me the flexibility to interview for jobs anywhere in New Zealand - rather than travelling from rented accomodation.
Apart from not being sure how future employers will regard me living in their car park the night before the interview.. Has anyone here spent much time in a campervan. Would it drive you nuts after a couple of days - or is this a decent option?
Spent 3 weeks in a campervan with wife & 2 kids on our recce, it's a great way to see the country.
What time of year are you coming, could be a bit cold in winter
Old May 28th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

I'll be emigrating in Jan '08 - hopefully should be warm by then.
Did you spend the whole 3 weeks in the camper - or did you cheat a couple of days in a hotel?
Old May 28th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be emigrating in Jan '08 - hopefully should be warm by then.
Did you spend the whole 3 weeks in the camper - or did you cheat a couple of days in a hotel?
1 night when we got there & 1 night before we flew back, in a hotel (you need it)
P.S. it's bloody noisey when it rains
Old May 28th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Hi

We spent just over 4 weeks in a camper van on our recce, with a 6 yr old and 18 month old. It was brilliant - we spent most of the time on the South Island with only 3 days on the North in Wellington. It was April so getting cooler, but with the electric hook up there was the blow heater. We were toasty warm every night except one, where we arrived too late for the campsite and ended up on the side of the road. (No electric so no heater/microwave etc.) The worst thing was the next day when we turned up, they said we should have ignored the closed sign and just parked up anyway.

The van we had was well equipped with quilts/towels/fridge etc. We lived mostly on tortilla wraps/salad/soups/microwave rice and hot cross buns. Where ever we stopped for petrol, we always managed to get really good coffee.

We found the facilities on most of the sites great with laundry & washing up, and internet access at a few. We turned up without booking at every site and got in no problem. (except for Franz Josef - and then we got in on the second night)

It also meant that we could go with the flow, so places we thought we'd spend 5 or 6 nights after doing research over the web, we didn't like and moved on after a day. We stopped at places we'd never heard of and loved them, so ended up staying for ages.

Our itinere was also planned randomly by kiwis we bumped into in supermarkets or coffee shops, eg, chap working in the bank at Brighton CHch, recommended Kaiteriteri which we'd never heard of. Someone at Kaikoura recommended Hamner Springs which we'd also never heard of, and we just made it up as we went along and had a great time.

Obviously we were on holiday and not under pressure to find a job or turn up suited and booted - but it was really great and if we didn't have the school terms, it's definitely the way we'd get started in NZ when we finally make the move.

The down sides: No TV if you're into it (we weren't), if you don't park somewhere with the electric hook up you can't use all of the facilities in the van. Can be awkward to park in some of the city centres, although we always managed eventually. Was VERY expensive to take on the ferry from one island to the other. The walk from the van to the shower first thing in the morning could be daunting (we never used the one in the van as it was full of baby back packs and pushchairs and would have taken longer to empty than use!!!!!!!!!!!)

Finally, it seem'd to get dark and cold all at once and at about 6.00pm. This meant that everyone disappeared into their vans/caravans and settled down for the night. For us it meant whispering and drinking wine with very little light - so we didn't disturb the baby. It was the only time sharing the space was an issue.

We loved it so much - we even talked about using a chunk of our house money to buy one tax free in Europe and ship it when we move. (They're loads more expensive in NZ and we'll never manage it once we've made the move) Though after reading the threads on rent and house prices - we'll have to have a grown up chat about it, and we're not sure if we can do it now.

Don't know if we can list the name of the company we used, it began with an M. The customer service was superb - we had a problem with something in the van about 2 weeks in, we rang them and within 10 minutes had been directed to a garage in Wanaka, where they fixed it while we went for lunch. Brill
Old May 28th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Spent 8 weeks in a 6 berth. Just two of us. Feb to April (2003) Big Drought period- glorious weather.
Best holiday ever. Freedom to go where and when. Excellent sites- good amenities. Get one that's well insulated with separate gas heating for the 'occasional inclement days' + plenty of paper towels to wipe condensation. Also double battery one for engine/ one for facilities. (both charge up from engine but allows a bit more freedom. Means your not tied to campsites every night for power. Make sure you don't leave roof hatches open at night during thunderstorms- (gives a whole new meaning to 'bed-wetting') and when driving under filling stations canopies. Ah! the memories - the fun! We spent 2 weeks in the North and 6 in the South. The South was awesome-only two traffic hold ups -Sheep/cattle! The latter nearly rammed us off the road. Not quite sure what the farmer was shouting at them??
Seriously- we toyed with the idea of renting one again when we start searching for a house- but as we're pretty sure of the area we want to settle, we've decided it's going to be too expensive at around a $130 a night+ insurance+ fuel and campsite charges when necessary. But if you can buy a good one- Fantastic- you'll be able to use it for escape breaks after you've settled. We'll probably be going out in the winter months so it's a no for us.
Jennie
Old May 29th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 2.5 weeks in one,me,Don,and a then 8,7 and 2 yr old. Would do it again-gives you the flexibility of going anywhere anytime,no where was ever full,even in Summer-you should really enjoy it.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

wow - I was expecting a horror story or two, but all replies are positive.
Gypsy lifestyle here I come!