Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buying a House for first time....

Buying a House for first time....

Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House for first time....

Still amazes me that people in any country are surprised that property and rent in a, or in NZ's case THE main city is considered high, or relatively expensive.

It's the same the world over people.

I currently live in London. Expensive? Well I'd get more bang for my buck if I moved further out, but then I'd pay for public transport to get to work as it would be too far to commute by bicycle.

It's a personal thing, but I'm happy to pay more so that I'm close enough to cycle to work, but far enough out that the cycle is enough to break in to a sweat (9 miles / 14.5 kms, each way), therefore giving me oppotunity to exercise. I think it's a fair compromise.

Therefore, one would assume that the hundereds of thousands of people who live a commutable distance from work in Auckland have their reasons for justifying their rental/mortgage cost.

Cities are more expensive to get a roof over your head, it's nothing new. You have the choice not to live there, get over it.

Rant over.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Justcol
If it was me I'm move to another place.
Auckland isn't all its cracked up to be and the houses are way over priced.
I know that both historically and on a price/earnings ratio Auckland looks high but it is often reported as being one of the top ten cities in the world to live. So perhaps still cheap by international standards? And, let's face it, go to any auction and you'll see that it's often 'international' money that makes the final bid.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:01 am
Just Joined

elasticated17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, Auckland is definitely where we want to live as we have family here and my job (even though not much money at moment) is very unique and I would be hard pressed to find work elsewhere. Plus I think I would go mad living in a small community. Of course house prices in Auckland will always be ridiculous but after living in London for years I would never return there to bring up kids. We are going to sort out our budgets and approach those in the know soon. Can someone please enlighten me - do you need to have done a builders report before you buy at auction?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

found these tips for buying at auction

http://aucklandhome.co.nz/2010/10/26...ng-at-auction/
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:57 am
Just Joined

elasticated17 is an unknown quantity at this point

they are great. i take it that owners must be used to people getting builders reports done on their houses?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes would think so. You must be very careful about putting in offers and auctions. I was told once you have the winning bid at an auction you HAVE to buy the house. If you pull out the seller can sell at a lower price and you have to make up the difference. Same goes if you buy normally you set your conditions for as long as you can because you only have that time limit to pull out without incurring costs payable to the seller.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Still amazes me that people in any country are surprised that property and rent in a, or in NZ's case THE main city is considered high, or relatively expensive.

I currently live in London. Expensive? Well I'd get more bang for my buck if I moved further out, but then I'd pay for public transport to get to work as it would be too far to commute by bicycle.

It's a personal thing, but I'm happy to pay more so that I'm close enough to cycle to work, but far enough out that the cycle is enough to break in to a sweat (9 miles / 14.5 kms, each way), therefore giving me oppotunity to exercise. I think it's a fair compromise.

Therefore, one would assume that the hundereds of thousands of people who live a commutable distance from work in Auckland have their reasons for justifying their rental/mortgage cost.

Cities are more expensive to get a roof over your head, it's nothing new. You have the choice not to live there, get over it.

Rant over.
you live in london not nz you dont know what your talking about.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, I forgot London is at the lower end of the scale when it comes to cost of living, oh wait ...

Apart from missing the point about my post being;

Cities are expensive, it's the same anywhere. We all take decisions as to whether it's worth one while to live where we live, otherwise we wouldn't live there.

My wife is also a born and raised Aucklander, so I'm fully informed, thank you.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Okey Dokey.

Let's go back to where one can and cannot choose to live when emigrating to NZ .

So. Unless you have family or married to a kiwi where you might have an open work visa on arrival, when it comes to the visa it will be tied to where you can, have or will find work as there will be no support at all and you will be landing in what is unknown territory.

Where a new migrant , without support, starts off is not a free choice for many , so knowing, as best you can, what you are going into is very important. In the past this aspect has been glossed over in favour of thoughts of wonderful scenery and free open spaces for family who can park a 4 wheel drive on a beach and let the dog run

These days , just as with Europe, things have changed . Money is tight for most and so prospective new arrivals ,without friends and family to be there for them, do need to be very careful about their choices if they are to settle well.

Auckland is know to be an expensive place to be.

Originally Posted by elasticated17
Of course house prices in Auckland will always be ridiculous but after living in London for years I would never return there to bring up kids.
Not sure I quite understand. Are you a Londoner who has since left or a Kiwi returning to NZ?

edit...
Ah! Have just read a little. You are married to a Kiwi and so have returned to his/her home country.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not according to The Economist

http://www.theaucklander.co.nz/news/...ot-nz/1512478/

Another charmer, you'll slot right in and feel right at home in NZ I am sure.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:54 am
`

Originally Posted by elasticated17
they are great. i take it that owners must be used to people getting builders reports done on their houses?
A LIM is the normal way to go. Ask your rellies in law. They will tell you how it all works and are far better placed to personally guide you both through this.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Builders reports are expensive, around $400-$500 I think. You would need to be a serious bidder (and wise) to get one prior to an auction.

You would have a builders report as a condition of sale if you were making an offer on a house.

Real estate is more expensive in Auckland because that is where the work is and I would imagine that would apply in most parts of the world.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This doesn't prove, or disprove anything. We're talking city living, not generic nationwide housing costs.

Cities are expensive, wherever in the world you are.

It's well known that while house prices in the UK crashed for 4 years, London housing didn't and the rental market went bananas.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Another charmer, you'll slot right in and feel right at home in NZ I am sure.
That's the plan

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 29th 2012 at 11:12 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cities are expensive, it's the same anywhere. We all take decisions as to whether it's worth one while to live where we live, otherwise we wouldn't live there.
As we've seen, some people have jobs that prevent them from living elsewhere as those jobs simply dont exist in other
areas so that decision is effectively taken away.

My wife is also a born and raised Aucklander, so I'm fully informed.
I watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon but I don't actually know what it's like to do it...your simply making guesses based on someone else's opinion
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:07 am
`

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Builders reports are expensive, around $400-$500 I think. You would need to be a serious bidder (and wise) to get one prior to an auction.

You would have a builders report as a condition of sale if you were making an offer on a house.
Good point

Real estate is more expensive in Auckland because that is where the work is and I would imagine that would apply in most parts of the world.
Real estate can also be more expensive where the lifestyle is thought of as better. For instance areas of the SW coast of England where we used to live & also Nelson and Bays where we live now.

Not all cities are mega expensive to buy into. Some will be cheaper than buying into a coastal resort or a rural town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.