buying a house advice please

buying a house advice please

Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

kiwisteph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying a house advice please

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
hey steph

if its the house you were talking about in dudley road, dont see more houses getting built opposite to be honest as at end of inglewood

also houses in np dont go for much less than asking, its worth putting in an offer but houses in np are still selling and for not much less than asking it seems.. we havnt been hit with a resession here yet. though i would still put in a bid as even if they dont accept its a starting point to work from

how did you find inglewood btw , shame we finally got the rain here too.

my friend arrived from glasgow yesterday to the rain but hey she thinks its really warm so cant be that bad lol

caz
Hi Caz

We liked Inglewood but it was just to far out of NP for us.
Will keep looking as were in no hurray. But we loved the area had a good weekend away.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:04 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I agree with the others on where to come in with an offer. On the 2 places we've bought, we've come in between 10 and 20% lower than the asking, depending on the market and the property. On the numbers you're talking, that's an offer between 504k and 567k.

No offer is too cheeky, and it sure does give you a starting point. On a place we offered (but didn't buy) they wanted 'mid 200's' so we offered 220k. They countered at $310k (mid 200's my arse!!!!!) but it was a start - after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we got down to $275k before we withdrew as our dream house cam available.

It's great fun, and buying houses here is so cool in that until you have finished negotiations no one else can gazump you so the pressure of 'they've got another offer' just doesn't exist.

Have fun, and good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:27 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
It's great fun, and buying houses here is so cool in that until you have finished negotiations no one else can gazump you so the pressure of 'they've got another offer' just doesn't exist.

Have fun, and good luck.
You can be in a situation where there are multiple offers but in that case you are given a 'multiple offer' form to sign to show that you are aware that they have other offers on the table - it means they have to put their money where their mouth is - I'd never take an agent's word that 'they've got another offer'. If you don't get that form and they accept another offer you can report the agent to the REINZ.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
hey steph

if its the house you were talking about in dudley road, dont see more houses getting built opposite to be honest as at end of inglewood

also houses in np dont go for much less than asking, its worth putting in an offer but houses in np are still selling and for not much less than asking it seems.. we havnt been hit with a resession here yet. though i would still put in a bid as even if they dont accept its a starting point to work from

how did you find inglewood btw , shame we finally got the rain here too.

my friend arrived from glasgow yesterday to the rain but hey she thinks its really warm so cant be that bad lol

caz
I'd be surprised if the recession hasn't hit yet, would be one of the very few places in the world. Sounds like estate agents talk to me!
Old May 4th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

kiwisteph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
You can be in a situation where there are multiple offers but in that case you are given a 'multiple offer' form to sign to show that you are aware that they have other offers on the table - it means they have to put their money where their mouth is - I'd never take an agent's word that 'they've got another offer'. If you don't get that form and they accept another offer you can report the agent to the REINZ.
Hi Batty

Well there's now multiple offers and the forms being e-mailed to us. I hate this bit, what offer do you put in, say if everyone puts in higher than you and you loose the house. Its a horrible game but its got to be played But where do we start???????
Old May 5th 2009, 12:08 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwisteph
Hi Batty

Well there's now multiple offers and the forms being e-mailed to us. I hate this bit, what offer do you put in, say if everyone puts in higher than you and you loose the house. Its a horrible game but its got to be played But where do we start???????
Crap It's really hard to know Steph. In that other case I talked about earlier in this thread the CV was $445k and they were asking $465k. My friend offered the asking price, two others offered $468k and the one who got it offered $470k. Will the agent give you ANY indication of where you should be coming in? What is the difference between CV and the asking price? Everyone involved will now know that there are others putting in offers so 'silly offers' probably won't be made. I can only say to you to offer what you think it's worth to YOU. Never mind the market or anything else - if it's somewhere you want to make your home for the next however many years then offer what you feel comfortable with.

Oh and good luck!
Old May 5th 2009, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I'd be surprised if the recession hasn't hit yet, would be one of the very few places in the world. Sounds like estate agents talk to me!

no , not from estate agants , just that businesses are still as busy here . my boss owns 2 places and hasnt noticed any difference in her takings what so ever

with the house situation, we saw and liked a house in inglewood but it was on for offers over 435 we thought we will wait a while and offer something around 380/ 400 mark max..it sold within first week for bang on asking, we couldnt believe it.

all the crap houses sit for months but the good ones are getting snapped up in inglewood very quickly

its a huge dairy and gas industry here so thats why not hit us yet
Old May 5th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwisteph
Hi Batty

There may be multiple offers, but almost as important as the price you offer is the conditions that will be attached to it.

It could even be more important than the price.
If your offer is "unconditional", then you will be very attractive to the seller, even if someone else has offered more cash initially.

But beware about going unconditional - you should always buy subject to a LIM report and Builders Report unless you have a VERY good reason why not to.