Buying a bike...

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a bike...

In Wellington! Fancy a cheapy bike for occasional runs in and around town at the weekend and evenings, nothing fancy, something functional, anyone got any suggestions where to go??

Why is there no branch of Halfords when I need one!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:40 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a bike...

Originally Posted by irnbru14
In Wellington! Fancy a cheapy bike for occasional runs in and around town at the weekend and evenings, nothing fancy, something functional, anyone got any suggestions where to go??

Both Kmart and the Warehouse sell cheap bikes - but it may well be that you get what you pay for........
I bought one for the girl from Kmart and apart from a slow puncture, haven't had any problems with it. They took the whole bike back and replaced the inner tube - took them ages though
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:11 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Trademe is your friend. 5 year old fancy kit for peanuts prices - thank you very muchly.

Good luck in Welly - there sure are some hills there! Respect
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:28 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Bought a new Chinese made cheapie from Kmart. Nice little skinny tyre bike that I use to commute from St Albans (an inner suburb in Christchurch) out to the airport. It ain't the best bike by a long shot, but aside from one flat tyre (what is it with the f@#*wads in this country who throw bottles out their car windows?) I haven't had any problems. NZ$179 in the box. Took it home and assembled it in about half an hour.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Will check out the Warehoose and K-Mart then, don't wanna spend a fortune on something I'll probably not use much anyway, hired one for a wee while on Sunday at it was a nice way to zip around.

Not sure how many of them hills I shall be using it on mind you
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Not sure how many of them hills I shall be using it on mind you
The one I got has an ultra granny gear so it'd be ideal for those near-vertical Welly roads.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

K Mart have one at $109, its made from metal aswell at that price, blimey!! There warehouse have one for $200...hmm, maybe have a wee look around a few bike shops to see what you get/don't get for your cash...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:55 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

I got the wife a $120 K-Mart special and while it's perfectly fine for bimbling, it is made of monkey metal mixed with generous dollops of cheese. The 2 times I've tried to adjust anything has just seen me round off the allen key holes.

If you are going to be doing anything half decent then I'd go for TradeMe every time. Get a hell of a lot of bike on there for $200, and if you are careful it'll be a damn site better than a Warehouse bargain-tastic price beater special. They are so into their mountain bikes here that anything weighing more than a feather which doesn't have magnesium alloy this or titanium that is old news and apparently worthless. Good news for us
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
I got the wife a $120 K-Mart special and while it's perfectly fine for bimbling, it is made of monkey metal mixed with generous dollops of cheese. The 2 times I've tried to adjust anything has just seen me round off the allen key holes.

If you are going to be doing anything half decent then I'd go for TradeMe every time. Get a hell of a lot of bike on there for $200, and if you are careful it'll be a damn site better than a Warehouse bargain-tastic price beater special. They are so into their mountain bikes here that anything weighing more than a feather which doesn't have magnesium alloy this or titanium that is old news and apparently worthless. Good news for us
$120 for cheese in bike, thats quite cheap given the going price for decent cheddar in NZ

Things to do this weekend then, go have a wee wander round some bike shops to see what is out there, then find an older model on trademe
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:12 am

Sounds like a plan Stan, let us know how you get on.

You ain't wrong about the cheese! Hmmm... riding the cheesy cycle? Possibly the title for another thread on a different forum altogether
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a plan Stan, let us know how you get on.

You ain't wrong about the cheese! Hmmm... riding the cheesy cycle? Possibly the title for another thread on a different forum altogether
On a slightly random good brakes are a start,, lucky for the sheep that I nearly made into chops on the way down from the summit road on Sunday mine does have them...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Dustybin
On a slightly random good brakes are a start,, lucky for the sheep that I nearly made into chops on the way down from the summit road on Sunday mine does have them...
Getting in a little bit of cheeky practice there mate? You up for 'Rapaki Track - The Return Of The Nobbers' sometime soon....? Not on a hangover this time though, eh.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting in a little bit of cheeky practice there mate? You up for 'Rapaki Track - The Return Of The Nobbers' sometime soon....? Not on a hangover this time though, eh.
Yep just give me a shout and pick a day when i don't need to barf halfway up the hill!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:46 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

irnbru, I'd just hit KMart if I were you. Lovely weather for it today, eh? Saw the usual posse of complete and utter loonies making their very slow way up the Ngauranga Gorge as I sped by in the train. (when will they learn? )

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Yep just give me a shout and pick a day when i don't need to barf halfway up the hill!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
irnbru, I'd just hit KMart if I were you. Lovely weather for it today, eh? Saw the usual posse of complete and utter loonies making their very slow way up the Ngauranga Gorge as I sped by in the train. (when will they learn? )

Probably there from the weekend trying to get up the hill to Whitby for those world famous in NZ cheese scones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.