Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buy online, simples right?

Buy online, simples right?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:03 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Buy online, simples right?

This is the story of me trying to buy a laptop online through JB Hi-Fi:
- Select laptop, put in work address for delivery (because things get delivered during work hours, obv.) and get partner to put in Visa card number. Easy.
- Failed payment, bank system error.
- Funds available in account? Yes...of course, she's actually good with budgeting.
- Put in partners Visa card details a few more times because the bank keeps telling us there is no error and all is in order.
- Failed payment system error.
- Shelf idea for a few days until I get some free time again.
- Go back with my MasterCard.
- Successful Payment, order pending.
- Get e-mail from JB Hi-Fi asking for ID and address details the next day as they suspect me of fraud.
- Send a "Please explain..." note as this probably violates the Privacy act restrictions on collecting and using data?
- Get e-mail back not really explaining anything and asking for ID again the next day.
- Scan back NZ drivers license and bank statement from work e-mail (a major NZ institution, not a corner shop). Point out that next week I'll be working from another office location so they may need to update address as order has been pending so long if undelivered by Friday.
- Rejected because they where in black and white and my bank statements doesn't match my work address for deliver (Obvious isn't it? For most of us the places we live and work are different address).
- Write a letter and get my line manager to sign it stating this is my work address and re-send from work e-mail, scan with ID in colour and send again this evening.

Chances of getting a new laptop? Unfavourable I fear . I should have used the Amazonian.com gods instead of going local.

I kept remembering that question you are often asked in customer experience surveys "Would you recommend us to another person?" Perhaps I would if that person had committed particularly nasty crimes against humanity.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy online, simples right?

It seems advances in security and technology mean that the system completely falls over if you want to have items delivered to somewhere other than the address where your credit card is registered.

I think the UK is even more 'advanced' in terms of such credit card security. Last year I tried to buy my mother a mobile phone over the airwaves in the UK for delivery to her address in the UK; the only place I could find that would accept her address with my credit card details was from Tescos.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer face to face negotiations, can't haggle online
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I kept remembering that question you are often asked in customer experience surveys "Would you recommend us to another person?" Perhaps I would if that person had committed particularly nasty crimes against humanity.
HeHe.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Buy online, simples right?

Today:
- Got to work to find an e-mail asking me for a number to call me. Gave cell phone.
- Had a missed call when I came out of a meeting but could not redial the international number.
- Got another e-mail from someone else telling me my order would be processed and I'd get an e-mail when dispatched. Also said the e-mail attachments had been deleted.

I wonder where they are dispatching this item too though because I'm moving offices on Monday (as stated in a previous e-mail).
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a 1080p projector and it was delivered to a different address to my billing address. Took a risk on a website called elive.co.nz never heard of them but it was delivered within 18 hours. Used visa no probs. Miss websites like dabs.com from the uk though.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:01 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Interesting. I might try them if the deal fall through.

Update:
- Funds still in my account.
- Price of item has increased a lot since I put in my order. You don't think that maybe...nah, they wouldn't would they?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought a couple of big ticket items online as I kept an eye on that Pricespy website. One worked out really well, the other less so.

The one not so good would have been better to buy in a store as I didn't get the full picture (specifics of that model down to very small details, and also what it was like compared to the rest of the competition) like I would have asked endlessly about had I been talking to someone about it in a store.

Moral for me, is if I have narrowed down to EXACTLY what model and why I want it - online is good, but if I just want an X and not sure about what and why, I am better to visit a store. If you can do your research online, then all good, but I tend to be a bit crap at that...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'd prefer face to face negotiations, can't haggle online
Decent point, negotiation is expected here, and usually easy to get a decent saving off the advertised prices. That and internet prices rarely being much of a bargain.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Buy online, simples right?

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
...negotiation is expected here...
Although not on salary it seems, I so often see people take positions and accept the first offer or simply accept a salary increase as a done deal in a performance review.

Anyway laptop update: Not laptop yet, funds still in my account and no e-mail after the one about dispatching the item.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Buy online, simples right?

Number of laptops recieved: 0.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Number of laptops recieved: 0.
And no money taken I hope?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Crap. I actually have bought a 100 inch projector screen and had it delivered in the time since my last post. Bad bad service.