Build or Buy

Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road
Question Build or Buy

i have been looking at property around the bay of plenty and although i find most propertys are a good price i have seen a lot of land for sale at good prices too.
can any one tell me what the planning regs are like and also building materials prices compared to uk prices thankyou
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Build or Buy

I don't know about materials, but the going rate for a fully-finished house built to order is around $1 per sq metre, according to the many adverts in the local papers. There are enough houses being built all the time, so planning can't be too much of a problem. We briefly considered building, but the total project time of around a year put us off - probably a good option if you're not rushing.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply i was planning on renting while the building work was done.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I don't know about materials, but the going rate for a fully-finished house built to order is around $1 per sq metre, according to the many adverts in the local papers.
Bloody hell that's cheap!!

Here in the South Island its about $1000 a square metre for a new build.

Everyone does it down here, you get what you want and it'll be worth more than you paid for it.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

I thought the prices ranged from $1000 - $2000 a square metre.

There are lots of land and buid packages available where buiding companies own the land and then give you a choice of house you may want to build on it. They sort out all the necessary paperwork
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maysie
I thought the prices ranged from $1000 - $2000 a square metre.

There are lots of land and buid packages available where buiding companies own the land and then give you a choice of house you may want to build on it. They sort out all the necessary paperwork
...cheap - $1200-$1400.....medium - $1650-$1850.....decent - $1900- $2300.........south island....all per m2
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by howardk
...cheap - $1200-$1400.....medium - $1650-$1850.....decent - $1900- $2300.........south island....all per m2
Hi

I take it these prices include the price of the land?????

What about the North Island??????

Cheers Jads
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jads
Hi

I take it these prices include the price of the land?????

What about the North Island??????

Cheers Jads
...unfortunately these rates do not inc price of land...don't know about the north island...but wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper...
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

My builder cousin quoted me $1500 per square metre (including design, permits etc).
A section of land costs minimum of 120K NZD.
The total price of a house consists of the land price PLUS building/design price. The building/design price is more or less fixed, it is the land price that is increasing so much, all in a country the size of GB, but with a population of 4m, WHY ?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Bloody hell that's cheap!!

Here in the South Island its about $1000 a square metre for a new build.

Everyone does it down here, you get what you want and it'll be worth more than you paid for it.
I forgot a "k" - doh!

I'll try to dig out some examples from the local rags but they seem to be around $250k for 200-250 sq m - but I guess as with everything there are lots of extras to consider.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:12 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fordhjn
i have been looking at property around the bay of plenty and although i find most propertys are a good price i have seen a lot of land for sale at good prices too.
can any one tell me what the planning regs are like and also building materials prices compared to uk prices thankyou
If you are considering building and are not sure about the process, IMO the first place to start would be by talking to one of the building companies, like Golden Homes, Affordable Homes, GJ Gardiner among others. You will be able to see various plans and the costs involved, ask if they have their own sections around about that you could have a house and land package done on (as someone else has mentioned), they will advise on building regulations (which are fairly straight forward if you're thinking of building in an urban area), any covenants on sections (minimum size of house, materials you can use and the like). I'd also ask what isn't included in the price, rather than what is!!!

We've built using two of those companies. We did have minor problems with both, but they were sorted out quickly... and yes I would use either of them again.

Anyway, it's a starting point if you just want to make enquiries to help you make a decision.

(Hope this doesn't sound too much like an advert for any of them, it's not meant to.)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
If you are considering building and are not sure about the process, IMO the first place to start would be by talking to one of the building companies, like Golden Homes, Affordable Homes, GJ Gardiner among others. You will be able to see various plans and the costs involved, ask if they have their own sections around about that you could have a house and land package done on (as someone else has mentioned), they will advise on building regulations (which are fairly straight forward if you're thinking of building in an urban area), any covenants on sections (minimum size of house, materials you can use and the like). I'd also ask what isn't included in the price, rather than what is!!!

We've built using two of those companies. We did have minor problems with both, but they were sorted out quickly... and yes I would use either of them again.

Anyway, it's a starting point if you just want to make enquiries to help you make a decision.

(Hope this doesn't sound too much like an advert for any of them, it's not meant to.)
No it's all helpful stuff!
We've been vaguely interested in a co. called http://www.eehnz.com/
have you heard of them or know anyone who has used them?
I love their designs!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal

What a good post

I've read so much about the condensation, heating and expensive electric bills - I guess you can do a fair bit to help yourself out later on by spending on energy efficient stuff.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
No it's all helpful stuff!
We've been vaguely interested in a co. called http://www.eehnz.com/
have you heard of them or know anyone who has used them?
I love their designs!
whey hey they list PVCu sealed unit DG windows......not seen that in NZ before - there is hope

doubt they are the "best windows in the world" though - would have to go a long way to beat our deKournic (sp) profiles/staddip (sp) silent [frame/SUDG] combination in the UK - the village window cleaner loved them so much he almost licked them clean each time he came......

Last edited by lardyl; Jul 2nd 2007 at 10:22 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl

whey hey they list PVCu sealed unit DG windows......not seen that in NZ before - there is hope
Exactly! warm homes that look good too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.