Budgeting

Old May 5th 2016, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute
Default Budgeting

Morning,

We've been back in the UK now for 2 months after an awesome time in NZ during Feb/Mar time. While we were over there I was given a verbal job offer which unfortunately fell through, however the same company have listed a better job, and one of the Operations Managers has contacted me through a friend telling me to apply for it. IF I were to get the job I can negotiate my wages. This bring about the whole budgeting problem.

As out goings I currently have listed;

Rent

TV, Internet, Phone

Energy (average)

Loan payment

Car rego/insurance/fuel

Is there anything blatant that I've missed out?

Doing my figures with the above, plus an outstanding loan repayment, if I negotiate a salary of $80,000 per annum, it will leave me with $61,568 (I used paye.net.nz to work this out) Taking out the out goings, it will leave us with approx $350 a week for food and to live on. From experience will this be enough?
Old May 5th 2016, 8:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting

on 80,000 with the minimum 3% for Kiwisaver take home would be $59.168 which is $1,137.85 per week.

if renting here depending on where you live you would need to look at trademe rentals to get an idea of the cost of renting in the area: I looked around Wellington and 2 beds go from $200 - I personally wouldn't house my dog in it, upwards to $750+

Contents insurance, refuse collection, doctors appointments, dental appointments, water possibly.
Old May 5th 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

The after tax figure was given as if I opted out of kiwisaver as it would be an initial 2 year working visa if I get the job I am applying for. It is in Christchurch and weekly rent seems to be around $500 a week (and higher) for a 3 bed house in one of the out lying suburbs which is what my figures have been worked off.

I hadn't factored in refuse collection, something I will have to look into further.

Medical, for the short term, would be covered when needed by the savings we would be bringing with us.
Old May 5th 2016, 8:59 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Burnside Chch 8053 rent for 3 bed $450-500 per week. The rental prices have been static because of the large number of ex Q rebuilds...
Old May 5th 2016, 9:19 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bobogib, will you be shipping anything over? We shipped only a few items in boxes so the biggest expense for us was all the leisure/recreational stuff (essential in NZ ) New hiking shoes, tents, camping gear, bikes, kayaks, skiing gear etc etc. Not exactly essential but important all the same as I'm sure you'll want to get out and enjoy NZ. All of that stuff is quite pricey when you add it all up. It's just the two of us here with no kids and it probably set us back at least $3000. Not that you have to buy it all in one go mind you but could be worth factoring in if you aren't bringing any of it over.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; May 5th 2016 at 9:21 pm.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

When the time comes we are planning to ship over the "essential" home items, sofa, beds, some drawers, tv etc to try and keep overall costs to setup as low as possible. The aim is no more than half a 20ft container. The down side will be having to sell all my fishing gear, I've spent almost 25 years getting it all together, although it means I've got to go shopping.
My bike will be coming over too, don't mind cleaning that. Took me long enough for to persuade the wife to let me spend the money to build it. Still not sure about my tool kit (I'm an ex vehicle mechanic and its worth thousands although will be a pain to clean)

We appreciate with $350 a week things will be tight, but we are hoping the 2 year work visa becomes residency. When that happens we can use our savings to clear the loan and things become more comfortable. Don't want to do this early incase the worst happens and we decide to return to the UK.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:45 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob if your fishing gear is coarse then yes dump it if it is beach casting or spinning of fly then bring it....
Old May 5th 2016, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Bob if your fishing gear is coarse then yes dump it if it is beach casting or spinning of fly then bring it....
It's a mixture of everything, if I listed it all I'd probably scare myself.

I was tempted to bring some of my fly gear over, but not sure how easy it would be.
Old May 5th 2016, 10:02 pm

Local river has Salmon runs of Chinook 10-20+lb spinning gear. Rivers hold sea run trout + browns = rainbows up to 10 lb, lakes also hold land locked Salmon 4-6 lbs. Big hydro canals have trout up to 30+lbs spin or soft bait on carp type rod.Estuary rivers have Kahawai spin or saltwater fly....you decide..
Old May 6th 2016, 3:05 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Refuse collection for me is $1.60 a week, so don't lose sleep over it.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:06 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobogib
Morning,

We've been back in the UK now for 2 months after an awesome time in NZ during Feb/Mar time. While we were over there I was given a verbal job offer which unfortunately fell through, however the same company have listed a better job, and one of the Operations Managers has contacted me through a friend telling me to apply for it. IF I were to get the job I can negotiate my wages. This bring about the whole budgeting problem.

As out goings I currently have listed;

Rent

TV, Internet, Phone

Energy (average)

Loan payment

Car rego/insurance/fuel

Is there anything blatant that I've missed out?

Doing my figures with the above, plus an outstanding loan repayment, if I negotiate a salary of $80,000 per annum, it will leave me with $61,568 (I used paye.net.nz to work this out) Taking out the out goings, it will leave us with approx $350 a week for food and to live on. From experience will this be enough?
I recommend you do a job search with some salary parameters put in and see what comes up. It might give you an indication of what they anticipate paying.
Old May 6th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobogib
The after tax figure was given as if I opted out of kiwisaver as it would be an initial 2 year working visa if I get the job I am applying for. It is in Christchurch and weekly rent seems to be around $500 a week (and higher) for a 3 bed house in one of the out lying suburbs which is what my figures have been worked off.

I hadn't factored in refuse collection, something I will have to look into further.

Medical, for the short term, would be covered when needed by the savings we would be bringing with us.
If you are renting in Christchurch city, you don't need to worry about refuse. It's included in the rates which are paid by the landlord.

Not sure for Selwyn but Waimakariri district, I pay $50.00 for 25 bags.

Also if renting and you're on a work visa, insurance will be hard to get. Trying to get contents insurance in particular on a work visa isnt the easiest. If getting a car, definitely get life insurance.

Last edited by Tom H; May 6th 2016 at 5:07 am.
Old May 6th 2016, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

JMH,

I'm led to believe that what I will be asking for salary wise is about right, but we will wait and see.

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know that refuse collection won't break the bank

The question remains though, is it possible for my family and I to live on $350 a week? I can do all the research I want, but the internet will only tell me so much.
Old May 6th 2016, 5:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Why?

There is plenty of coarse fishing in NZ including a coarse fishing club in Chrischurch.

Much coarse fishing gear is also suitable for use in the sea.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:35 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

go to countdown and look at filling the trolley with a shop, include the laundry supplies and toilet rolls, stuff for the freezer as well as the fridge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.