Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Broadband Internet in marlborough Sounds

Broadband Internet in marlborough Sounds

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant future
Default Broadband Internet in marlborough Sounds

Hi, wondered if anyone can inform me whether or not broadband internet exists in the Marborough Sounds and surrounding areas and if so which locations have broadband and is it reliable and reasonably priced?

any information or assistance is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Internet in marlborough Sounds

Are you talking landline or cellphpne? If landline, this will be heavily dependant on your distance from exchange - I'm sure no problem in and around towns, but if you're in an outlying area probably not so good.
As for cellular, then the XT map (Telecom's new network) looks quite good
The vodafone map is also quite encouraging, so there are a few options.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you want broadband it can be expensive.
Personally i wont go near Telecom as the customer service
they provide is truely appalling.
Vodafone are better just.
check out the other providers for what offers they have.
we use trustpower Kinect and they are very good.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:31 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We holidayed there recently and managed to get coverage, albeit slow, with Vodafone. We weren't too far from Picton though, so I wouldn't like to comment on further into the Sounds.

If you look on the holiday homes website, and find a house close to the area you are looking at, it should tell you what coverage is available.

HTH
Sarah
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

We lived in Moenui Bay for 4 weeks a short while back. I had my Vodafone USB stick and was suprised to be getting faster broadband connections that I was getting on my landline at home in the UK!

I run an internet based company in the UK remotely from here and it (the mobile broadband connection) was more than sufficient for everything that I threw at it.

Be careful on the device you choose though. In the Marlborough Sounds (for Vodafone at least) you'll need a device capable of "3G Broadband Extended".

Also note that being on a tourist VISA as I am, I couldn't take out a decent monthly contract, and on top of the $199 for the device I was paying $80-$90 per month for their 3gb plan which is quite expensive.