Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British High Commission no longer processing UK passports

British High Commission no longer processing UK passports

Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default British High Commission no longer processing UK passports

Instead of Wellington, you'll now have to send your paperwork to Liverpool instead...

The British High Commission has announced its Wellington office will no longer process passports for British nationals in New Zealand.

From this week, British passport applications will need to be posted directly to the United Kingdom, as it is expected to be more efficient to process all passports together in the UK, a Commission spokeswoman told Fairfax Media.

Applicants can complete the paperwork and payment online. They must then print and sign a declaration sheet which must be sent, with photographs and supporting documentation, to the Liverpool Application Processing Centre.

"In simple terms, all this means is that British nationals in New Zealand will need to send their applications to a different address," British High Commissioner Vicki Treadell said in a statement.

Story here on the Dompost.

Since many people would send their applications by tracked and/or registered mail, I guess this might push the overall cost up, having to send the forms and other bits and pieces back to the UK, as well as increasing the processing time.

Anyway, just a heads-up.

Last edited by Purrball; Jan 14th 2014 at 12:52 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:42 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British High Commission no longer processing UK passports

Last time I re applied the PostShop just took a fee and handled everything, checking, posting etc and the new issue came back by courier. Is that service still active? Not that I will be needing another.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we got DD's passport renewed last month at the post shop. $280 odd, bloody cheek. they don't even send it to the UK. goes off somewhere here old ones gets sent back first then the new one arrives a couple of days after.

glad we got it sorted
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purrball
Since many people would send their applications by tracked and/or registered mail, I guess this might push the overall cost up, having to send the forms and other bits and pieces back to the UK, as well as increasing the processing time.
I expect it might actually counterbalance the obligatory Pommie Premium, as it used to cost about twice as much to have your passport renewed in Wellington as it did in the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I expect it might actually counterbalance the obligatory Pommie Premium, as it used to cost about twice as much to have your passport renewed in Wellington as it did in the UK.
That was my first thought. If they're going to the UK to be issued then I would expect the cost to be the same as doing it from the UK. Obviously postage will be more but hopefully the actual cost will come down. Got 3.5 years to go till I find out.
Am I being unrealistically optimistic?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Current fees for those in New Zealand as follows:
Adult standard 32-page passport: £147.86
Adult jumbo 48-page passport: £174.36
This includes the courier fee to send the new passport to you, but excludes the initial cost of sending the application form, photos and old passport to Liverpool. Not sure if that works out cheaper or not.

By comparison, a New Zealand passport from the NZ High Commission here in London, ten day turn-around, £91 incl postage.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:39 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Current fees for those in New Zealand as follows:
Adult standard 32-page passport: £147.86
Adult jumbo 48-page passport: £174.36
This includes the courier fee to send the new passport to you, but excludes the initial cost of sending the application form, photos and old passport to Liverpool. Not sure if that works out cheaper or not.

By comparison, a New Zealand passport from the NZ High Commission here in London, ten day turn-around, £91 incl postage.
NZ Passport is for 5 years (grrrrr) and UK for 10. There is a petition around somewhere to change the NZ one back to 10.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
NZ Passport is for 5 years (grrrrr) and UK for 10. There is a petition around somewhere to change the NZ one back to 10.
Oh OK. Didn't know that. Interesting. Think last time I renewed my Kiwi passport it was around the £75 mark, so it's gone up.

For now, I've decided against permanently returning to New Zealand and am going to apply for British citizenship sometime in the next year or two, holding dual nationality. Think I've changed too much to contemplate returning. Apart from family, there's little in NZ that appeals to me or is realistically practical in my situation, and wouldn't mind an EU passport to cap off my Indefinite Leave to Remain status so I could have a range of potential European destinations in the future, er, have a deeply-held need to pledge allegiance to the Queen, I mean.

Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nzten.com/petition.html

petition ofr 10 yr passport

not many days left to get it signed
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

HMG claimed that the overseas price would come down in line with the UK price in April as it could no longer justify charging a higher price for the same service. We shall see.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
HMG claimed that the overseas price would come down in line with the UK price in April as it could no longer justify charging a higher price for the same service. We shall see.
Hello BritInParis. Lovely to see you in here.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hello BritInParis. Lovely to see you in here.
Thank you, it's nice to be here
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

The 5 year passport does seem a bit unneccessary, doesn't it?

The cynics amongst us might think that it's a bit of a hidden tax. Just a rouse to bring in a bit of extra cash from the NZers here and all over the world.

After all did the NZ government spend a load of cash on new passports and the technology behind them in recent times? My OH worked for the DIA, issuing passports at NZ House in London so I'll ask her to clarify.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The 5 year passport does seem a bit unneccessary, doesn't it?

The cynics amongst us might think that it's a bit of a hidden tax. Just a rouse to bring in a bit of extra cash from the NZers here and all over the world.

After all did the NZ government spend a load of cash on new passports and the technology behind them in recent times? My OH worked for the DIA, issuing passports at NZ House in London so I'll ask her to clarify.
Small price to pay for the world's most beautiful passport.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:15 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK. Didn't know that. Interesting. Think last time I renewed my Kiwi passport it was around the £75 mark, so it's gone up.

For now, I've decided against permanently returning to New Zealand and am going to apply for British citizenship sometime in the next year or two, holding dual nationality. Think I've changed too much to contemplate returning. Apart from family, there's little in NZ that appeals to me or is realistically practical in my situation, and wouldn't mind an EU passport to cap off my Indefinite Leave to Remain status so I could have a range of potential European destinations in the future, er, have a deeply-held need to pledge allegiance to the Queen, I mean.

LOL

The time I travelled back here before I moved permanently I was so annoyed about the five year passport that I just travelled on my British passport. You don't need a visa to enter. The only disadvantage is the queue will be longer but otherwise no problem. I explained it to the nice immigration lady and she was fine with it. She said, if I decided to stay to let immigration know so that I didn't go down as an overstayer. I wonder how many other kiwis do that. It's just not worth getting a 5 year passport if you only go home every 3 or 4 years like I did.

Yeah - as a minimum, get a UK passport. It will get you in all sorts of place. NZ passport is only really good for getting into Australia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.