Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

brit builder needs help emigrating to NZ

brit builder needs help emigrating to NZ

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

phate316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool brit builder needs help emigrating to NZ

hi im new to the forum and im looking for hel ive posted on the other forum side on immigration so i thought id post here to, im a general builder and landscape gardener with 17 years experience but no qualifications, are there any uk builders who made the transition to nz through the skilled migration without qualifications, i looked into it but to get qualified as a plumber would have cost over £5000 and then the qualification would only give me limited work in NZ any help would be appreciated, i have a diploma in business and finance and an ncfe diploma in telematics (IT, web server hosting and web design) and im currently doing a home study course in auto cad
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:18 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brit builder needs help emigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by phate316
hi im new to the forum and im looking for hel ive posted on the other forum side on immigration so i thought id post here to, im a general builder and landscape gardener with 17 years experience but no qualifications, are there any uk builders who made the transition to nz through the skilled migration without qualifications, i looked into it but to get qualified as a plumber would have cost over £5000 and then the qualification would only give me limited work in NZ any help would be appreciated, i have a diploma in business and finance and an ncfe diploma in telematics (IT, web server hosting and web design) and im currently doing a home study course in auto cad
Sorry Phate - not a builder so can't help you there. However if we get our house built you can come and landscape our garden in return for free board and lodgings!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

wardiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: brit builder needs help emigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by phate316
Hi Phate

I'm not a builder, but have you thought about trying to secure a job in NZ. Thats what my husband has done. He went through the list of accredited employers on the immigration website and emailed all companys that were within his field of work. He has always worked in road construciton and groundwork, but has no particular qualifications, just the experience and vavious plant and LGV licence. He struck lucky and has now been offered a job, we are just waiting to sell our house, his employer in NZ are working out all the immigration issues for us and then we will be going over to Auckland.

It is really difficult to find a way in to NZ unless you have a degree or a very sought after qualification. We found the easiest way was to secure a job with an accredited employer and get in that way.

Good luck

wardiz
Old Feb 25th 2006, 1:05 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

If you have experience in IT I would do that rather than go into the building industry, the pay is rubbish for trades here in NZ.
We were very comfortable on a brickys wages in the UK but here in NZ it's impossible.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
If you have experience in IT I would do that rather than go into the building industry, the pay is rubbish for trades here in NZ.
We were very comfortable on a brickys wages in the UK but here in NZ it's impossible.

We have friends who came out here 1 year ago, Sky, in IT, his first job lasted just 6 months and he was lucky to get another one, he gets paid just $38k pa! (Gross)
Absolute slave labour if you ask me.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
We have friends who came out here 1 year ago, Sky, in IT, his first job lasted just 6 months and he was lucky to get another one, he gets paid just $38k pa! (Gross)
Absolute slave labour if you ask me.
& Like you say, trades are paid not much more. The gross figure may look ok but when you see what hours you are expected to work...it becomes a poor hourly rate.
Never mind, always plane loads of migrants on their way over for the 'lifestyle'..