Reload this Page >

Bringing Cats over from the UK

Bringing Cats over from the UK

Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

BecksJS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Cats over from the UK

Hi Again
I have 3 cats that I really cant leave behind! Anyone got any tips on who to use costs involved or any other tips?
Becks x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default Re: Bringing Cats over from the UK

Originally Posted by BecksJS
Hi Again
I have 3 cats that I really cant leave behind! Anyone got any tips on who to use costs involved or any other tips?
Becks x
My tip - leave them behind!!! Costs alot. The cats hate it too. Sorry. Am actually a cat owner too but ours is staying here. I could spend the money on something much more useful. Am sure someone else will come along and shoot me down in flames but thats just my opinion.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saritabear
My tip - leave them behind!!! Costs alot. The cats hate it too. Sorry. Am actually a cat owner too but ours is staying here. I could spend the money on something much more useful. Am sure someone else will come along and shoot me down in flames but thats just my opinion.
I had thought of that but I couldn't! Don't have kids so pretending that they are and would have to pay for kids anyway!! I know they get very stressed even taking them in a container to the vets, so also wondering whether they can be sedated at all.
I feel so guilty about leaving my cat behind with friends in NZ the first time, I left in somewhat of a hurry, so were looking after it for me until I could arrange for him to come over, I got a phone call 3 days after I arrived back saying he was dead!
Leaving them behind I am afraid is not an option
Becks x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BecksJS
I had thought of that but I couldn't! Don't have kids so pretending that they are and would have to pay for kids anyway!! I know they get very stressed even taking them in a container to the vets, so also wondering whether they can be sedated at all.
I feel so guilty about leaving my cat behind with friends in NZ the first time, I left in somewhat of a hurry, so were looking after it for me until I could arrange for him to come over, I got a phone call 3 days after I arrived back saying he was dead!
Leaving them behind I am afraid is not an option
Becks x
Tough decision to make and very personal. We will be taking our three cats and three dogs which for the quarantine will cost just over $7,000 plus the cost of getting them there so unlikely to be getting much change from $10,000. Some may say a waste of money but they are part of our family and we wouldn't leave them behind.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We brought our two cats with us using Airpets out of Heathrow. They both breezed the journey easey peasey, without any problems, and are having the absolute time of their middle aged lives.

Others have used Golden Arrow.

Get them microchipped & just contact the likes of Airpets or Golden Arrow for information. They will be more than happy to help & guide you through the whole process.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rock Ape
Tough decision to make and very personal. We will be taking our three cats and three dogs which for the quarantine will cost just over $7,000 plus the cost of getting them there so unlikely to be getting much change from $10,000. Some may say a waste of money but they are part of our family and we wouldn't leave them behind.
Thanks for that I take it that, sure that they do not have to do quarantine coming from the UK thou but will look into it more.
Becks x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS here
We brought our two cats with us using Airpets out of Heathrow. They both breezed the journey easey peasey, without any problems, and are having the absolute time of their middle aged lives.

Others have used Golden Arrow.

Get them microchipped & just contact the likes of Airpets or Golden Arrow for information. They will be more than happy to help & guide you through the whole process.
My cats are Bengals and the breeder did not handle them as kittens and came to me as wild cats, unfortunately they are only tame to me! They will get really stressed out I know they will as they do going to the vets and when we moved, I do hope I can get them sedated. I will of course do what is best for the cats and if that meant re-homing them then I have the same problem as they will not be tame to anyone in a new home! God I feel stressed now!
Becks x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Becks don't get them sedated, it's not advised by vets anymore generally as it can cause real problems. I think the disoriented way it makes them feel would likely make the trip more stressful for them as well.

I flew my four from Texas USA to Edmonton Canada and like yours, they all got really stressed on short drives to the vets.

I was really, really stressed about it all, I was more worried about them than any other part of our move. They had a really long day as the company we used had someone pick them up at 3.30 am and drive them to the airport. They flew from Dallas to Houston and had to wait there for hours, then they flew to Calgary, then they had a three hour drive from Calgary to Edmonton, arriving at our house in Edmonton at 7.00 pm.

They all waltzed out of their travel crates like nothing had happened and despite all my worries they were perfectly happy to start playing with toys and checking out the house right away.

Like your Bengals, my Chartreux had come from a breeder who had not handled them and even now (and I've had her four years) I am not allowed to put two hands on her at once as she is terrified I will pick her up, so I was really scared that she would get loose at the airport etc if someone tried to handle her but she was totally fine, so try not to worry.

If you get a good moving company to help it really takes a lot of the stress out of it, and I think away from your stress, they will be less stressed themselves. If you explain it all to the moving company they may even write it on their travel crates that they are scared of being handled and that should help. I had something similar written on our crates.

Another thing you can try is rescue remedy (the bach flower remedy) a lot of people use that for cats that are stressed, so you might want to google it and then try it on them a few times before you leave. You could then add it to their water before they leave.

Hope this helps. I could never have left mine behind and was totally prepared to pay whatever it cost so I totally understand where you are coming from
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Becks don't get them sedated, it's not advised by vets anymore generally as it can cause real problems. I think the disoriented way it makes them feel would likely make the trip more stressful for them as well.

I flew my four from Texas USA to Edmonton Canada and like yours, they all got really stressed on short drives to the vets.

I was really, really stressed about it all, I was more worried about them than any other part of our move. They had a really long day as the company we used had someone pick them up at 3.30 am and drive them to the airport. They flew from Dallas to Houston and had to wait there for hours, then they flew to Calgary, then they had a three hour drive from Calgary to Edmonton, arriving at our house in Edmonton at 7.00 pm.

They all waltzed out of their travel crates like nothing had happened and despite all my worries they were perfectly happy to start playing with toys and checking out the house right away.

Like your Bengals, my Chartreux had come from a breeder who had not handled them and even now (and I've had her four years) I am not allowed to put two hands on her at once as she is terrified I will pick her up, so I was really scared that she would get loose at the airport etc if someone tried to handle her but she was totally fine, so try not to worry.

If you get a good moving company to help it really takes a lot of the stress out of it, and I think away from your stress, they will be less stressed themselves. If you explain it all to the moving company they may even write it on their travel crates that they are scared of being handled and that should help. I had something similar written on our crates.

Another thing you can try is rescue remedy (the bach flower remedy) a lot of people use that for cats that are stressed, so you might want to google it and then try it on them a few times before you leave. You could then add it to their water before they leave.

Hope this helps. I could never have left mine behind and was totally prepared to pay whatever it cost so I totally understand where you are coming from
Thank you for that feel a little better now, will look up that stuff, should be ok just worry about them, do they have to go in separate containers do you know or can they go in the same one, one of the Bengals can be a bit of a bully to the other cats when he is scared, but at the same time I really would prefer that they had each other as company. Funny I have moved to NZ a couple of times now, wish I never came back but this time I am worried about everything! Must be the age difference?
S x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they have to be in separate containers. Honestly I think it's probably wise. Sometimes when cats get stressed they get aggressive, and not being able to take it out on the cause of the aggression, they take it out on each other. They call it re-directed aggression.

They'll probably put all of their crates close to each other in the hold anyway so they'll be able to smell each other. I bet they'll sleep most of the way too

The dark hold is actually calming for them. I trapped a lot of truly feral cats in the US (for spay/neuter, release) and just putting a towel over the trap so they were in darkness would totally calm them down. I think they probably feel safer in the confined space.

Also, in their own crate, they'll have plenty of room to stretch out and relax and not bug each other. They'll probably have a less stressful journey than you
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:59 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped with Airsupply from Heathrow.
The girl, settled well in here.
The boy, and your post concerns me regarding this, used to get stressed, panting etc on a two mile trip in his box to the vets. He never even made it to Heathrow, died on the way.
We knew it was a risk, but it happened. just be aware of the damgers and make the decision to risk it or give them up.
We felt the same as you about the cats, and chose to take the risk. Just not willing to give them up after ten years, so we live with one cat we love, and guilt and good memories of the other.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We shipped with Airsupply from Heathrow.
The girl, settled well in here.
The boy, and your post concerns me regarding this, used to get stressed, panting etc on a two mile trip in his box to the vets. He never even made it to Heathrow, died on the way.
We knew it was a risk, but it happened. just be aware of the damgers and make the decision to risk it or give them up.
We felt the same as you about the cats, and chose to take the risk. Just not willing to give them up after ten years, so we live with one cat we love, and guilt and good memories of the other.
That is really sad, one thing that might be ok for me is the cats are only 3 years old, do you think that perhaps the boys age might have had something to do with it? 10 is a pretty good age.
Glad to hear the other cat is doing well.
Becks x
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

The cats will have to travel separately, but I had a crate made for two of my cats that really rely on each other. It had a dividing mesh between the two cats. Still separate, but they were close to each other.

Also, check out a product called Feliway - happy cat pheremones. Ask for the crate in advance of the move, spray the crate with Feliway and turn it into your cats' bed prior to the flight.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:19 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Becks, sad yes, but his age, no.
As I said, he hated travelling, the girl was always fine.
You know you can't leave em behind. Got our two when they were less than two months old. At the age of ten human years, it annoyed me that a mate with a two year old kid thought he could lecture me on the rights and wrongs of bringing them. He barely knew that kid....
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice

Hi, I brought 3 cats and a dog last September through ParAir in Stanway, near Colchester, Essex. All survived well, and were none the worse for wear, even the 13 year old cat and 11year old dog were OK, and they love their new home sooo much, more sun and sunbathing It cost 3,500GBP for all the tests, paperwork, kennelling, crates and actual shipping. Like you I wouldn't be without my lot, and am sooo happy I brought them with me, makes it easier to settle with your little friends around you I think.