Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing a car - in your experience are these costs normal?

Bringing a car - in your experience are these costs normal?

Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Mrs shopaholic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing a car - in your experience are these costs normal?

Hi everyone

Another quick query, please. I will post an update soon!

NZ Vanlines has told us that our car has had to be cleaned (as it failed the inspection and needed to be steam cleaned). This wasnt really a surprise as the guy from PSS told us not to bother having it professionally cleaned in the UK because 95% of cars are being sent for further cleaning this end. So, we just did as best we could on it which seemingly wasnt enough.

Anyway, Vanlines are now asking for the following fees and I just wondered if these are normal (firstly did you have to pay each fee and also whether the amount seems excessive). They are all in NZ$ and plus GST.

Vanlines admin fee 300
Treatment of vehicle as instructed by MPI Quarantine:
Steam clean, boot and bonnet vacuum 246.96
Haulage to treatment centre via covered vehicle in line with
regulation 164.35
Return of vehicle after treatment 52.17
Fuel adjustment factor at 11% on haulage as charged by haulier 23.82
Customs permit to enable movement of vehicle whilst under
Customs control 30.00
Re-Inspection by MPI Quarantine 22.22

The total comes to 965.56 and that is for one car (we have two)!!

Thanks in advance for any answers. I will pay of course if it is normal fees and usual amounts but I just wanted to get some idea of whetehr it is before I stump up!

Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a car - in your experience are these costs normal?

we had ours professionally cleaned in UK and provided evidence of this so did't get charged for cleaning this side.
our costs where

MAF fees $423.89
Customs Import transaction fee $40
Fee for attendance relating to border inspection by IVS, NZ Transport Agency Fee, incidental costs and admin $169.67
Transport of vehicle to testing centre $70.00

Sub Total : $703.56
GST : $105.53

Total $809.09.

that obvious is just NZ fees and not the testing centres costs
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't clean ours and it went into the container with 300mile round trip of dirt (at least), as No 1 daughter had an interview to attend the day before loading....

But we didn't get clobbered for cleaning. The 300miles was in the wet so maybe that cleaned the underneath enough (which I think is what they are really bothered about)....
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

It used to be that you could make some nice coin out of bringing your Eurobox to NZ,especially VW's,Beemers etc.
Looking at trademe prices now it seems they're in line with Uk,I doubt it would be worth all the hassle.
But different I guess if it's a sentimental thing.
I find it hard to get attached to modern diesel cars
Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:14 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

$300 admin fee is a bit steep