Reload this Page >

Brightonians in Auckland

Brightonians in Auckland

Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Cannonball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brightonians in Auckland

Hi there,

Me and my fiancé have just emigrated to NZ from Brighton after deciding two years ago to make the move. We managed to get resident visas through filling out the EOI on the immigration new zealand website and now here we are. We don't have any jobs lined up so it's a bit of a gamble but I see such potential here and hope that everything works out.

It's a bit scary not knowing anyone but I'm sure that'll change. Just moved into an apartment in the centre of Auckland, don't want to be in the city forever but thought it would be a good place to start.

Also we'd not been to NZ before we moved here, anyone else taken that gamble?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice
Default Re: Brightonians in Auckland

Hi cannonball, yeah, we too took the gamble, been here 8 weeks nearly, OH had a 2 week course to get his registration licence (he's a spark) then got a job 3 days into looking. Still early days but alls well so far. good luck sue
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cannonball
Hi there,

Me and my fiancé have just emigrated to NZ from Brighton after deciding two years ago to make the move. We managed to get resident visas through filling out the EOI on the immigration new zealand website and now here we are. We don't have any jobs lined up so it's a bit of a gamble but I see such potential here and hope that everything works out.

It's a bit scary not knowing anyone but I'm sure that'll change. Just moved into an apartment in the centre of Auckland, don't want to be in the city forever but thought it would be a good place to start.

Brave move muchos respect
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Hello we are about to leave Brighton to move to Auckland too I have a job but hubby does not but my brother and sis in law went with no work (to Welly) 3 years ago and haven't looked back! Plenty of people do it so you certainly aren't the only ones Hope it all goes well for you.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

rainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nice

Hi all

we are moving from Lancing(in between brighton and Worthing) on the 27th October!!!!

we dont have jobs lined up either, hubby has been nz many years ago and i have never been before. we will be bringing our little girl with us who will be just one year old. we havent even sorted accommodation yet!!OMG- just looking for somewhere short term till we find our feet-any suggestions greatly appreciated, want to have something sorted esp for Christmas peroid!

so excited, we have know idea what is going to happen, we will start off in Auckland too and go from there. its nice to hear the success and peeps not looking back- hope thats us too!

how have those who got residency before they go done it?? hubby is a sparky and we have to wait till we arrive to do regs courses and get a job before we get enough points to get a visa?

will love to meet up with you guys when we arrive 27th oct 2010

keep in touch

Rainy Tom and Baby Lilahni
x

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 5th 2010 at 11:53 pm. Reason: Snipped personal details. It;s not a great idea to put these up on an open forum as it can attract spammers etc.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rainyandtom
Hi all

we are moving from Lancing(in between brighton and Worthing) on the 27th October!!!!

we dont have jobs lined up either, hubby has been nz many years ago and i have never been before. we will be bringing our little girl with us who will be just one year old. we havent even sorted accommodation yet!!OMG- just looking for somewhere short term till we find our feet-any suggestions greatly appreciated, want to have something sorted esp for Christmas peroid!

so excited, we have know idea what is going to happen, we will start off in Auckland too and go from there. its nice to hear the success and peeps not looking back- hope thats us too!

how have those who got residency before they go done it?? hubby is a sparky and we have to wait till we arrive to do regs courses and get a job before we get enough points to get a visa?

will love to meet up with you guys when we arrive 27th oct 2010

keep in touch

x

How exciting it must just be me but I find the whole idea of moving halfway around the world with no fixed idea of what's going to happen totally thrilling! It scares the bejesus out of the husband so between us we manage to balance

Have a great move over! Sorry cannot answer your question on the points (my hubby is a Kiwi) but I am sure others will.

(We would have left without me having a job it is just sheer fortune that I've found something )

And just think, no more pebble beaches.....don't get me wrong I love Brighton but oooh a sandy beach

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 5th 2010 at 11:53 pm. Reason: snip personal details to save folks from spammers and the like.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Cannonball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default merge

When me and my partner applied for the EOI we managed to get 120 points and then got picked form the pool to apply properly. Our careers don't really fit under the skills shortage (Graphic Designer & Video Editor) but we just went for it and managed to secure the full visa. Got lucky I guess

Interesting to hear from other people from Sussex who are emigrating, as much I as liked the area I still wanted to leave.

Originally Posted by rainyandtom
Hi all

x

I can PM you details of the apartment we stayed in first if you like. It's in the city, it really depends on where you want to be.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 5th 2010 at 11:54 pm. Reason: personal details removed from quote
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: merge

Interesting to hear from other people from Sussex who are emigrating, as much I as liked the area I still wanted to leave.
Yes we feel the same way. Love it here but it's time to move on. Hope things are going wel for you
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

mrsmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well howdy all....

Im actually from Eastbourne (and so is hubby) so not that far from Brighton lol! Been in NZ for just over 9 years now. We came out with my 2 children, then aged 7 and 9. I had secured a job over here in Auckland (nursing) so getting residency was a breeze only took 4 months to get residency after moving here in May 2001. Got married here and had another child 6 years ago now. Have given up the nursing now, was too stressful with no family here for back up for sick kids and school hols etc. However I do work a bit from home doing medical transcription work for UK hospitals (ironic eh? but it's the time difference advantage).

Anyway, we are in a moral dilemma at the moment as to whether to start looking to move back to UK in the near future (as I am an only child) and my parents are not getting any younger.

Husband who is not technically qualified in anything, but used to be a manager in the auto parts industry in UK is now working as a self-employed builder for Totalspan (the shed building company). For him, finding work has been a constant struggle. It does seem you need 2 full time wages here to live comfortably, especially with no family support for kids etc.

Right... not going to ramble on about the woes of my life at the moment - enjoy your time in NZ - for however long

PS if anyone has any questions I will try and answer them
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrsmcgoo
Well howdy all....

Im actually from Eastbourne (and so is hubby) so not that far from Brighton lol! Been in NZ for just over 9 years now. We came out with my 2 children, then aged 7 and 9. I had secured a job over here in Auckland (nursing) so getting residency was a breeze only took 4 months to get residency after moving here in May 2001. Got married here and had another child 6 years ago now. Have given up the nursing now, was too stressful with no family here for back up for sick kids and school hols etc. However I do work a bit from home doing medical transcription work for UK hospitals (ironic eh? but it's the time difference advantage).

Anyway, we are in a moral dilemma at the moment as to whether to start looking to move back to UK in the near future (as I am an only child) and my parents are not getting any younger.

Husband who is not technically qualified in anything, but used to be a manager in the auto parts industry in UK is now working as a self-employed builder for Totalspan (the shed building company). For him, finding work has been a constant struggle. It does seem you need 2 full time wages here to live comfortably, especially with no family support for kids etc.

Right... not going to ramble on about the woes of my life at the moment - enjoy your time in NZ - for however long

PS if anyone has any questions I will try and answer them
Hello and welcome It's a difficult decision to make so good luck either way with what you decide. I was in Eastbourne last week for work, it seems to have improved somewhat from when I last visited about 10 years ago!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Hello and welcome It's a difficult decision to make so good luck either way with what you decide. I was in Eastbourne last week for work, it seems to have improved somewhat from when I last visited about 10 years ago!
Hi there

Funny - most people seem to know or have visited Easbourne in some context

Improved you say, sounds interesting - I visited 6 years ago, I suppose it can only have got busier and more built up really. If I went back I don't think I could live in EB more rural would be nice. We shall see .....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Improved you say, sounds interesting - I visited 6 years ago, I suppose it can only have got busier and more built up really. If I went back I don't think I could live in EB more rural would be nice. We shall see .....
My Mum lives there - I think it's improved a lot in terms of getting more up-to-date, I didn't think the regeneration of the area around the town hall would work but it's really nice now, the trains to London have improved, I wouldn't mind living there at all.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My Mum lives there - I think it's improved a lot in terms of getting more up-to-date, I didn't think the regeneration of the area around the town hall would work but it's really nice now, the trains to London have improved, I wouldn't mind living there at all.
Yes I agree the trains are very handy to a lot of places Oh of course I havn't seen around the Town Hall etc - can't wait to go back and have a look!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree the trains are very handy to a lot of places Oh of course I havn't seen around the Town Hall etc - can't wait to go back and have a look!
Quite Parisian with its little pavement cafes, also the Marina was buzzing last time I was there. Have a good trip
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:55 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Nah, don't even know where it is. Is it 'down south' somewhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.