Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Booked our meds, do the costs sound sky high?

Booked our meds, do the costs sound sky high?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future
Default Booked our meds, do the costs sound sky high?

Have just got off the phone with our local panel doctors and have been quoted a rediculous amount for meds. Does this seem about right?

Medicals - me, hub and 16 year old son £129.23 each & youngest son aged 13 £99.87
Blood Tests - £123.37 X 4
X-Rays - approx £80.00 each with I guess vat to add too.

OMG in all a whopping £1301.04 if I've added it up correctly. Also does our 13 year old really need blood tests?

Thanks
Lisa
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booked our meds, do the costs sound sky high?

I was looking at this last night and it says 15 years and over for blood tests unless there are exceptional reasons to have one prior to that.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Robbo25
I was looking at this last night and it says 15 years and over for blood tests unless there are exceptional reasons to have one prior to that.
Hi Robbo25

Have just discovered this so hopefully we can knock £123 off the bill and not scare our 13 year old son to bits!

Lisa
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo
Hi Robbo25

Have just discovered this so hopefully we can knock £123 off the bill and not scare our 13 year old son to bits!

Lisa
I know you are not in the best part of the country to do this, but it may be worth shopping around. Just be aware that some panel doctors charge differently. From memory we paid £1000 for 5 of us 2 adults, 13 year old, 8 year old & a 2 year old

HTH
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I know you are not in the best part of the country to do this, but it may be worth shopping around. Just be aware that some panel doctors charge differently. From memory we paid £1000 for 5 of us 2 adults, 13 year old, 8 year old & a 2 year old

HTH

You're right there isn't really alot of choice near here without driving stupid distances. Have got one other quote which isn't alot cheaper so for now will stick with our nearest doctor. Our other problem is our eldest is 16, so we'll be paying three adult prices.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...17#post6117517

Try this link from the Canadian forum - we are going to fly over from Bristol into Dublin (and still save money including the flight costs)-for our Candian medicals. You would have to check that the NZ immigration recognise this medical centre though.

Good Luck

Liff
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

My partner will be having to go through this soon as i will be sponsoring her iam thinking would it be cheaper for her to get it done in Auckland? If so when we fly out wont she need an ongoing ticket till everything is sorted that side i will be ok with one way ticket any ideas guys?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:18 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bridge-clinic.com/

Check this place out...we used it and worth paying the petrol when you consider the savings.

Tan
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tan0410
http://www.bridge-clinic.com/

Check this place out...we used it and worth paying the petrol when you consider the savings.

Tan
That is the clinic we are going to use.......just up the road from us and there prices seem pretty resonable
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:17 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Take food...especially if you're going with kids. We were there three hours in all. Not the smoothest process but worth it given their prices IMHO
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Have just got off the phone with our local panel doctors and have been quoted a rediculous amount for meds. Does this seem about right?

Medicals - me, hub and 16 year old son £129.23 each & youngest son aged 13 £99.87

OMG in all a whopping £1301.04 if I've added it up correctly. Also does our 13 year old really need blood tests?

Thanks
Lisa
IIRC mine was about £260 all in for the tests/medical, and it only took 10 mins! My X-ray was about £85....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
My partner will be having to go through this soon as i will be sponsoring her iam thinking would it be cheaper for her to get it done in Auckland? If so when we fly out wont she need an ongoing ticket till everything is sorted that side i will be ok with one way ticket any ideas guys?
Cheaper yes, return ticket yes
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

njb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nicenjb1962 is just really nice

Thanks
Lisa
Weve just booked out meds here in Winnipeg 2 adults and a 17 year old pain in the arse opps sorry daughter and the doctor told us a total of $615 for everything
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Just gor back from medicals/xrays at docs near Gatwick. We payed £320.00 each for whole lot (meds/bloods/xrays). There were 5 of us and it took from 9.30 to 1.30.
Beware if your waist measurement over 85cm - you will need extra fasting blood test!