Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it the big things or is it realy the little things that make the difference?

Is it the big things or is it realy the little things that make the difference?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it the big things or is it realy the little things that make the difference?

I was putting out the rubbish tonight, when I glanced up at the night sky and saw the cosmos above,in all it's beautiful glory, billions of stars in every direction looking absolutely fantastic, you just don't see this sort of sky in the UK that often. Then I found myself asking Is it the big things or is it really the little things that make the difference and help explain why we came to NZ. Is it the quality of life, the relative absence of crime compared to what we see in the UK, the reduction in stress from the commute to work and work itself or is it the looking up at the night sky, seeing the odd shooting star, and billions and billions of stars, the train conductor who thanks you for showing him your train ticket, the shop assistant in New World or Countdown that packs your shoppping for you or when you set of somewhere that is 30 mins away and it actually takes 30mins as you don't have to factor in UK traffic, that makes you think yes! I live here and love it!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:02 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it the big things or is it realy the little things that make the difference?

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I was putting out the rubbish tonight, when I glanced up at the night sky and saw the cosmos above,in all it's beautiful glory,

Loved your post. Karma on its way.

I often debate this exact same thing. I love the little things in life - stars, fresh coffee, chocolate, sunsets, views galore when on a windy walk, the outline of trees at twilight, laughing with the children, cuddling up with hubbie on the sofa and watching a good film.

But I wonder if it's that when the big things are ticking along well (feeling safe, not sick with financial worries etc), then you can and do appreciate the little things? That's my cut on it anyhow.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it the big things or is it realy the little things that make the difference?

I have some good friends over from the UK at the moment and sometimes you need reminding of the things that we already take for granted. Within a day of being here they commented on how clean everywhere is (cant say i`d noticed). How neat and tidy the Kiwi`s etc keep their gardens. How clear the sky is at night and the stars(sitting in the hot tubb drinking bubbly). We went to the local Waitangi Day celebrations and it was free to get in. The beach was clean and mainly empty. How quick people are to say hello.
I`m sure that they will give me a few more before they leave.
keep you posted
Ash
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Loved your post. Karma on its way.

I often debate this exact same thing. I love the little things in life - stars, fresh coffee, chocolate, sunsets, views galore when on a windy walk, the outline of trees at twilight, laughing with the children, cuddling up with hubbie on the sofa and watching a good film.

But I wonder if it's that when the big things are ticking along well (feeling safe, not sick with financial worries etc), then you can and do appreciate the little things? That's my cut on it anyhow.
Think that nailed it, spot on
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:22 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I was putting out the rubbish tonight, when I glanced up at the night sky and saw the cosmos above,in all it's beautiful glory, billions of stars in every direction looking absolutely fantastic, you just don't see this sort of sky in the UK that often. Then I found myself asking Is it the big things or is it really the little things that make the difference and help explain why we came to NZ. Is it the quality of life, the relative absence of crime compared to what we see in the UK, the reduction in stress from the commute to work and work itself or is it the looking up at the night sky, seeing the odd shooting star, and billions and billions of stars, the train conductor who thanks you for showing him your train ticket, the shop assistant in New World or Countdown that packs your shoppping for you or when you set of somewhere that is 30 mins away and it actually takes 30mins as you don't have to factor in UK traffic, that makes you think yes! I live here and love it!

Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's buying a coffee or something in a shop and the transaction being friendly. My OH has even been asked for his name at places he goes to regularly.

I also like everyone using their first name when they introduce themselves: even doctors and teachers at school.

It's the free water in cafes and restaurants....no need to be embarassed about asking for tapwater like you have to do in UK!

It's the tropical sounds and the Tuis waking me in the morning and yet nothing truly dangerous is lurking out there.

It's the dustbin men turning out on a Bank Holiday and so not having to re-learn your collection day.

It's the constant seaviews and frequently blue skies.

There must be more...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

wind?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

When out around town yesterday, I just kept stopping and having a wee seat down by the harbour, its the deep blue sky, the same colour water, the boats, the fresh air, the fact everyone is on holiday and there are loads of events on but its not really busy as Edinburgh would get...

Then I got a seat in one of my favourite spots, on the wooden decked bridge bit that goes across the main road from Civic Sq to the Boatshed area in one of those wee nooks that you can shelter from the breeze, enjoy the sun and watch the world go by...

I love these spots you can just stop and breathe and relax and take it all in and smile...

And that VIEW as I come out of the gorge on SH1 on my way back home into town, never fails to raise a smile even when its a rubbish day, as these amazing clouds just hang over the city making it look just as impressive and cool as it does in glorious sunshine...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

World Top 10 - Countries With Highest Reported Crime Rates
Country Crime Rate
Iceland 14,726.95
Sweden 13,455.08
New Zealand 12,586.64
Grenada 10,177.89
Norway 10,086.72
England & Wales 9,823.38
Denmark 9,460.38
Finland 8,697.37
Scotland 8,428.97
Canada 4,123.97

NB # 3 and # 6
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Country Crime Rate
Iceland 14,726.95
Sweden 13,455.08
New Zealand 12,586.64
Grenada 10,177.89
Norway 10,086.72
England & Wales 9,823.38
Denmark 9,460.38
Finland 8,697.37
Scotland 8,428.97
Canada 4,123.97

NB # 3 and # 6
Hoi! This is a happy thread
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Country Crime Rate
Iceland 14,726.95
Sweden 13,455.08
New Zealand 12,586.64
Grenada 10,177.89
Norway 10,086.72
England & Wales 9,823.38
Denmark 9,460.38
Finland 8,697.37
Scotland 8,428.97
Canada 4,123.97

NB # 3 and # 6
That is per 100,000 population for reported crime. If you times it by population head you'd be looking at about 560 for NZ and about 6400 for the UK. Anyway getting away from the point of the thread...

I love getting up in the morning, looking out of the window and seeing the beautiful green rolling hills just over yonder. All i saw in the UK was next door.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

That is per 100,000 population for reported crime. If you times it by population head you'd be looking at about 560 for NZ and about 6400 for the UK. Anyway getting away from the point of the thread...

I love getting up in the morning, looking out of the window and seeing the beautiful green rolling hills just over yonder. All i saw in the UK was next door.
If you can live in a decent area, you don't perceive crime to be as much of an issue as maybe you do in a similar area in the UK...it's to do with population density being so much less as Simon suggested.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:23 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

I've got to say that the little things are great, but when some thing big happens or changes - or even if your awareness of something big changes the diffence it makes to your life is HUGE. This has just happened to me, and although I don't want to leave NZ I am currently questionning Every part of my life, the distance is what hurts, and even with webcams we ARE insulated from a lot of the reality and harshness of the lives we left behind.

Adie

(Sorry to put a downer on a happy thread, but thats Life)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:38 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Country Crime Rate
Iceland 14,726.95
Sweden 13,455.08
New Zealand 12,586.64
Grenada 10,177.89
Norway 10,086.72
England & Wales 9,823.38
Denmark 9,460.38
Finland 8,697.37
Scotland 8,428.97
Canada 4,123.97

NB # 3 and # 6
Nice league table, but...the key words may be reported crime. Places like Sierra Leone, Guyana, Pakistan, Russia etc. are not even in the top ten. Is it safe to assume that those places are bastions of safety compared to the countries mentioned in your list? Strange how this table doesn't jibe with the remarks made in British Expats' own South Africa Forum.

Nice try saveme, but this table isn't all that useful in determining someone's security or the relative safety in nipping down to the corner for a pint and a packet of crisps.

-----------------------
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:47 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
...the distance is what hurts, and even with webcams we ARE insulated from a lot of the reality and harshness of the lives we left behind.

Adie
Sorry to hear that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.