Reload this Page >

Best way to take money to NZ?

Best way to take money to NZ?

Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Android is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to take money to NZ?

hey guys,

i'm going to NZ next week and i'll take some money with me. Do you think it'll be a problem to carry all that money with me? (almost 4000 NZD).
Or do you reckon i should just transfer all the money to a bank account, the thing is i don't want to pay a stupid amount of money for a transfer... And i'm also worrying immigration officer might ask about the money and make me pay any tax or something...

What are your suggestions?

Cheers...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best way to take money to NZ?

I can't help on the limits to carry cash in to the country - from a very hazy memory I think that the threshold is NZD10k, so you should be okay and shouldn't even have to declare it. May want to confirm that though.

As for the transfers, I transfer from HSBC UK to NZ accounts all the time and it only costs GBP9.00. For that amount of money though, you could always arrive here and get it out of an ATM. You will probably get a better exchange rate and also the charges should be lower. Most NZ ATMs have limits of NZD800 per day, but HSBC limit is NZD2000 per day (so only 2 withdrawals). The difficulty is finding an HSBC ATM! I think there are only two in Auckland!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:04 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Android
hey guys,

i'm going to NZ next week and i'll take some money with me. Do you think it'll be a problem to carry all that money with me? (almost 4000 NZD).
Or do you reckon i should just transfer all the money to a bank account, the thing is i don't want to pay a stupid amount of money for a transfer... And i'm also worrying immigration officer might ask about the money and make me pay any tax or something...

Cheers...
Be careful carrying money. My father in law came to visit last year and brought about 2000 sterling as he didn't want to transfer or pay any fees. He spent a night in Waheke Island and it wasn't till the next evening that he remembered he had hidden his money under his hotel bed ! Luckily for him he phoned the hotel and they had his money but carrying large amounts will always entail risks. Pretty sure threshold is $10000 but def don't carry it
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Android
hey guys,

Cheers...
This is such a small amount of money customs won`t even care, just take it in cash, if your worried about possible theft then transfer it or stick it in the bank when you get there. Saying that though, some countries have restrictions on how much non residents can put in each day so check that out.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ew+Zealand.htm

No limit but you have to complete a declaration over NZ$10,000.
If you do bring everything in cash (theft risk etc) make sure you have a back up option of credit card etc etc
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Android is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ew+Zealand.htm

No limit but you have to complete a declaration over NZ$10,000.
If you do bring everything in cash (theft risk etc) make sure you have a back up option of credit card etc etc
thank you so much guys... i reckon i'm going to take it with me, and i'm not coming from the UK. i'm sure it'll be ok.
And another thing is i'm a Turkish citizen and will come to NZ with a tourist visa and will change it to Partnership later. For Turkish citizens there's no fee for tourist and returning residence visa. But i heard that i have to pay for Migrant Levy. I couldn't find a certain explanation about this. Does any one have any idea about this Migrant Levy fee?
And they've told me, NZ immigration is going to change my tourist visa into tourist permit. what is the difference and will it take long time to approve (interview etc.) or is it something that they just put a stamp in your passport. I've lived in UK but never experienced that kind of thing before...

Cheers...