Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best places to live in NZ - a nice not nasty thread :-)

Best places to live in NZ - a nice not nasty thread :-)

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best places to live in NZ - a nice not nasty thread :-)

I am sure there are loads, so give your opinion!

For me: Sandspit/ Leigh and vicinity - that's the bit of coastline near Warkworth, an hour north of AKL. Easy access to AKL with the motorway getting extended it'll be even quicker and many commute already. Beautiful coastline full of all those sandy beaches, loads of native bush, boutique vineyards and interesting cafes & restaurants, warm not too damp climate, not too far from some great holiday spots, eg Bay of Islands, Coromandel, Kauri forest and other Northland attractions such as NZ's best fish & chips.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best places to live in NZ - a nice not nasty thread :-)

Originally Posted by Don
I am sure there are loads, so give your opinion!

For me: Sandspit/ Leigh and vicinity - that's the bit of coastline near Warkworth, an hour north of AKL. Easy access to AKL with the motorway getting extended it'll be even quicker and many commute already. Beautiful coastline full of all those sandy beaches, loads of native bush, boutique vineyards and interesting cafes & restaurants, warm not too damp climate, not too far from some great holiday spots, eg Bay of Islands, Coromandel, Kauri forest and other Northland attractions such as NZ's best fish & chips.
My fav part is the Wairarapa. I love Greytown and the country side around there. I also like the people.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

My favourite part is Auckland International Airport Departure Lounge......JOKE!!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tayberry
My favourite part is Auckland International Airport Departure Lounge......JOKE!!!
Good one Tayberry. Like it!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Nah the only International Departure Terminal I like is Heathrow's.!

Also you can get decent food after passport control, I've been caught out twice now in Auckland's barren departure lounge.
Roger
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:39 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Dons on the money! I loved the Warkworth area, nearly moved there, just didn't fancy the commute into Auck!
Don, do you really think the extended m/way will make any signifficant difference?
Tauranga's nice too, so is good ole' Nelson!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:38 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
Dons on the money! I loved the Warkworth area, nearly moved there, just didn't fancy the commute into Auck!
Don, do you really think the extended m/way will make any signifficant difference?
Tauranga's nice too, so is good ole' Nelson!
Nelson is great , we fell in love with the idea of living there when we strolled through town (very nice layout and feel indeed ), researched the weather and saw the beaches right in town plus we had a few nice experiences in the vicinity (what's that interesting BIG FLOW freshwater spring called that you can do a scuba dive in???) plus the Abel Tasman etc etc. Fell out of love when we got to know the house prices.

Warkworth coast - yeah, I reckon 10-15 minutes off the commute will make all the difference. NZ'ers don't like to commute. PERIOD. 30 mins is probably too much for most people, 20 mins is probably OK for most people. But to be able to get from a paradise like Sandspit to downtown AKL in 45-50 mins with the m'way extension might be acceptable for quite a few - esp if it's only 2-3 days a week (home office etc). Compared to Omaha Beach and a couple of other places, Sandspit/ Leigh etc are well underpriced.

Tauranga - hmmm, you really want to know? Had a good look...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:01 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by Don
Nelson is great , we fell in love with the idea of living there when we strolled through town (very nice layout and feel indeed ), researched the weather and saw the beaches right in town plus we had a few nice experiences in the vicinity (what's that interesting BIG FLOW freshwater spring called that you can do a scuba dive in???) plus the Abel Tasman etc etc. Fell out of love when we got to know the house prices.

Warkworth coast - yeah, I reckon 10-15 minutes off the commute will make all the difference. NZ'ers don't like to commute. PERIOD. 30 mins is probably too much for most people, 20 mins is probably OK for most people. But to be able to get from a paradise like Sandspit to downtown AKL in 45-50 mins with the m'way extension might be acceptable for quite a few - esp if it's only 2-3 days a week (home office etc). Compared to Omaha Beach and a couple of other places, Sandspit/ Leigh etc are well underpriced.

Tauranga - hmmm, you really want to know? Had a good look...
I have no idea where Warkworth is?!! I shall have to get the map out.

But Nelson.. yes, loved the feel of Nelson... we have said (well I have said) that this would be my prefered location. Only worry would be the distance from the 'big' cities.. it just seemed a bit of a drive away from anywhere. Even Picton was a longish trip.. lovely as it was mind you.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:17 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Central Otago my fav by far.Of all the places we travelled in NZ, from 90 mile beach to Bluff, i felt more at home there than anywhere.Beautiful in a harsh way, extremes of temperature in both hot and cold and no population pressure. I'll live here for as long as i'm alive....or the NZ authorities boot me out for been too happy here
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

What about the cargo hold of an aeroplane bound for the UK? No? Hah hah hah, you can't have a thread without it turning nasty!!!!! So there!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:18 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by deedee
Central Otago my fav by far.Of all the places we travelled in NZ, from 90 mile beach to Bluff, i felt more at home there than anywhere.Beautiful in a harsh way, extremes of temperature in both hot and cold and no population pressure. I'll live here for as long as i'm alive....or the NZ authorities boot me out for been too happy here
Funny thing, Deedee old sport, I live in a bit of Central Europe that is very similar to Central Otago and I think it's great, too.

Downside: we are landlocked, ie a wee journey to the ocean. But we got lakes!

We have a great summer (5 months of the mostly very hot indeed), a nice winter (cold snap with loadsa snow for 3 months, lots of skiing in the vicinity). Plus I guess we have a very pleasant spring and autumn as well, just like Q'town.

I must say I like a bit of weather variety as opposed to nothing much to write home about.

Cheers!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Well I am new to this forum - but I am living in Rotorua, we have been here for just over 2 years now. LOTS of other POMS here, and the lifestyle is great - Lakes are fabulous - we spend hours boating and fishing and just spending time by the water. Beaches are less than an hour away - Papamoa etc, AKL only 2.5 hours away, Hamilton an hour, we can be on the ski slopes in 2 hours flat from our front door. We have 2 children and they LOVE it here too. We lived in NZ before and lived in Waiuku - outside of AKL - which I also loved, small and remote but friendly and quiet. I like Taurange too, great for shopping, and thats only an hour away too. I realise that to some its not posh or glamorous but to me and my friends we can't think of anywhere else we'd rather live that gives all of this and more! At a recent party with friends from UK and kiwis we all talked about where we would move onto and the general opinion was that we wouldn't!! There are a few downside - but not many and for now at this point in my life i LOVE Rotorua (or rotton rua or Rotavegas - any of the nicknames we all know and love).
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:56 pm
Deb+Chris

Talking Re: Best places to live in NZ - a nice not nasty thread :-)

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Well I am new to this forum - but I am living in Rotorua, we have been here for just over 2 years now. LOTS of other POMS here, and the lifestyle is great - Lakes are fabulous - we spend hours boating and fishing and just spending time by the water. Beaches are less than an hour away - Papamoa etc, AKL only 2.5 hours away, Hamilton an hour, we can be on the ski slopes in 2 hours flat from our front door. We have 2 children and they LOVE it here too. We lived in NZ before and lived in Waiuku - outside of AKL - which I also loved, small and remote but friendly and quiet. I like Taurange too, great for shopping, and thats only an hour away too. I realise that to some its not posh or glamorous but to me and my friends we can't think of anywhere else we'd rather live that gives all of this and more! At a recent party with friends from UK and kiwis we all talked about where we would move onto and the general opinion was that we wouldn't!! There are a few downside - but not many and for now at this point in my life i LOVE Rotorua (or rotton rua or Rotavegas - any of the nicknames we all know and love).
You sound really happy and settled.. good on you for making it work for you.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
i LOVE Rotorua (or rotton rua or Rotavegas - any of the nicknames we all know and love).

We love Rotorua too. Been here almost 2 years and we could not have been more delighted with our choice of location. Hadn't visited before we emigrated. There is something to do for everyone in Rotorua.

Gill
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
We love Rotorua too. Been here almost 2 years and we could not have been more delighted with our choice of location. Hadn't visited before we emigrated. There is something to do for everyone in Rotorua.

Gill

Hi Gill
Great to hear from you. Where have you moved here from??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.