British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best Broadband / TV Services (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-broadband-tv-services-834689/)

weavos May 23rd 2014 9:56 pm

Best Broadband / TV Services

Hi,

My wife and I are moving into our own place next week, after living at her parents for the last 3 weeks. Was just wondering what the best deals are with broadband, and if anyone can recommend a service provider.
From what ive read, it looks like there are some cheap uncapped deals out there, but not from the "big boys", so was wondering whether the service would be as strong as telecom/vodafone etc...

Also, does SKY sports show any premier league football?

Cheers,
Dave

barnsleymat May 23rd 2014 10:34 pm

Re: Best Broadband / TV Services

Sky Sports does show some delayed prem matches, they show matches featuring Man Utd, Man City, Spurs & Arsenal. Sommet Sports on freeview do the same with Liverpool & Chelsea games. There's only one way to watch every single prem game live and that's the online service Premier League Pass, for $150 a season you get to watch every match live broadcast over the internet, you can watch it either on your computer, a tablet or through a smart tv.

I've only ever used zircon for broadband and they've been alright, not the cheapest but pretty good.

S_and_T May 25th 2014 8:46 pm

We use Vodafone and have found them very good. We pay $90 for 80Gb of data, but they are now offering unlimited data caps. If you have a mobile contract with them, they will also give you $10 off your broadband bill each month.

PHONEJUNKY May 25th 2014 11:31 pm

I use compass broadband in Auckland. I have naked Broadband as i dont want a house phone and line rental that comes with it. I used my modem/router i brought with me from UK and it all works great. I get 100gb a month for $72.90 inc gst

Robbo25 May 27th 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by S_and_T (Post 11275469)
We use Vodafone and have found them very good. We pay $90 for 80Gb of data, but they are now offering unlimited data caps. If you have a mobile contract with them, they will also give you $10 off your broadband bill each month.

Vodafone are fine until it goes wrong, their call centre is legendary for not answering as so under-staffed. They actually give $30 off if on the right mobile contract if using Naked Broadband, however I went to Telecom who do the exact same package as well and do have people answering the phones.

jmh Jun 5th 2014 7:25 am

I use Slingshot for broadband which is competitive. They have Global mode which means you can access BBC iPlayer with no extra gadgets or downloads. Worth it's weight in gold to me. I hope to sign up for netflix when I move - should work with Global mode although I haven't tried it yet.

ellenarosemary Jun 6th 2014 1:28 am

We use Telecom, be aware though if you live in a rural district you might have to wait for your telephone and or broadband connection.

We had to wait 3 months for a connection as it was full, so basically someone in front of us had to give up theirs before we could have it. We were initially number 3 on the list (regardless of supplier)

Mangaroa is due to be upgraded in June 2015 if anyones interested and currently waiting.

BEVS Jun 6th 2014 1:43 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 11290283)
We use Telecom, be aware though if you live in a rural district you might have to wait for your telephone and or broadband connection.

We had to wait 3 months for a connection as it was full, so basically someone in front of us had to give up theirs before we could have it.

Same here.