British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Barbeque sauce...on everything??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/barbeque-sauce-everything-477147/)

sammymac Aug 27th 2007 11:06 am

Barbeque sauce...on everything???

Discuss...

lardyl Aug 27th 2007 11:45 am

Re: Barbeque sauce...on everything???

Originally Posted by sammymac (Post 5239723)
Discuss...

not on *my* sausage sizzle at the weekend - was a real problem, 150 sausages to "cook" (very loose term that!) and no BBQ sauce, hence some disappointed punters - good job it was for a good cause!!!

sammymac Aug 28th 2007 9:48 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5239915)
not on *my* sausage sizzle at the weekend - was a real problem, 150 sausages to "cook" (very loose term that!) and no BBQ sauce, hence some disappointed punters - good job it was for a good cause!!!

I have no problem with it as a condiment, don't care for it much.

Just wondering why it gets blathered on everything that doesn't move.

I don't like ketchup either by the way.

SarahB Aug 28th 2007 9:50 am

My little lad like the hot dogs here (sausages on sticks)... I automatically say "one hotdog, no sauce please".... I learnt my lesson after we took one home without noticing it had been smothered in sauce.... he refused to touch it.

SarahB Aug 28th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by sammymac (Post 5243659)
I don't like ketchup either by the way.

I think the Watties tommy ketchup is just horrible... I still buy Heinz.

kiwi_child Aug 29th 2007 2:48 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 5243669)
I think the Watties tommy ketchup is just horrible... I still buy Heinz.

Watties make tomato sauce, not ketchup. There is a difference. I too use Heinz ketchup here in OZ.

Grew up liking HP sauce, Worcester sauce, and tomato sauce. Some things tho should never be 'sauced' IMHO; eg; non-battered fish, eggs or chicken to name a few of the more obvious ones. Have never really taken to BBQ sauce: it's like a poor quality attempt to imitate HP .

brussels_sprout Aug 29th 2007 3:24 am

Swirling it on Pizzas is pretty bizarre to me, why bother using subtle ingredients and then cover it all with Brown smokey sauce !

Bellasmum Aug 29th 2007 6:28 am

I had an Aussie flatmate in Sydney who blathered (whatever that means) everything in tomato sauce , including scrambled eggs ... How she ever tasted the food beats me.

She was the brunt of many active discussions about how much of our food money was going on her "fetish". but she stood her ground that she could spend our $ on as much tommy sauce as she %^$#@ wanted.

It was her 24th birthday shortly after so the rest of us and some of our friends bought her a bottle of sauce each and wrapped them like wine bottles.

She thought it was a heck of a joke (so did we) that she got 11 bottles of what she thought was wine that turned out to be her fav tommy sauce.

SirEglamore Aug 29th 2007 7:58 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5247227)
Swirling it on Pizzas is pretty bizarre to me, why bother using subtle ingredients and then cover it all with Brown smokey sauce !

Yeah!!! tastes like poop:thumbdown: they even put it on instead of the tomato paste in some places down here:frown:

karonious Aug 29th 2007 8:18 am

[QUOTE=kiwi_child;5247156]Watties make tomato sauce, not ketchup. There is a difference. QUOTE]

Just back from Pac n Save - they definitely make both :cool:

sammymac Aug 29th 2007 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 5247504)
I had an Aussie flatmate in Sydney who blathered (whatever that means) everything in tomato sauce , including scrambled eggs ... How she ever tasted the food beats me.

She was the brunt of many active discussions about how much of our food money was going on her "fetish". but she stood her ground that she could spend our $ on as much tommy sauce as she %^$#@ wanted.

It was her 24th birthday shortly after so the rest of us and some of our friends bought her a bottle of sauce each and wrapped them like wine bottles.

She thought it was a heck of a joke (so did we) that she got 11 bottles of what she thought was wine that turned out to be her fav tommy sauce.

I think the word blather comes from the sound a muck spreader makes when it's firing cow crap all over a field.

I will happily stand corrected though if anyone can be bothered to look it up in the dictionary!!

sammymac Aug 29th 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 5243665)
My little lad like the hot dogs here (sausages on sticks)... I automatically say "one hotdog, no sauce please".... I learnt my lesson after we took one home without noticing it had been smothered in sauce.... he refused to touch it.

Makes me sick when I hear someone order a buttie, and then ask for bbq, garlic and chilli sauce or some such grizzly concoction.

You don't have to have 3 sauces. Many snacks and light meals can be eaten with NO sauce at all believe it or not!

happynz Aug 29th 2007 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sammymac (Post 5247797)
Makes me sick when I hear someone order a buttie, and then ask for bbq, garlic and chili sauce or some such grizzly concoction.

Sorry about that. I'll whisper next time.

:p

:lol: