Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Barbaric, ancient traditions

Barbaric, ancient traditions

Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:22 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Barbaric, ancient traditions

Personally, I do not see consistency in certain aspects of New Zealand. One example is that parents that smack the back of their child’s hand are rushed to court and child “spanking” policies are strict.

On the other hand, it seems that ancient “traditions” of forcing an individual (in this case a 22-year-old female) underwater is acceptable, as it is a “religious” ceremony that supposedly breaks certain Maori curses.

I for one certainly feel that in 2007 this is NOT ACCEPTABLE

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10475430
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:57 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barbaric, ancient traditions

Originally Posted by Campbells
Personally, I do not see consistency in certain aspects of New Zealand. One example is that parents that smack the back of their child’s hand are rushed to court and child “spanking” policies are strict.

On the other hand, it seems that ancient “traditions” of forcing an individual (in this case a 22-year-old female) underwater is acceptable, as it is a “religious” ceremony that supposedly breaks certain Maori curses.

I for one certainly feel that in 2007 this is NOT ACCEPTABLE

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10475430
Campbells, once again your are talking from where the sun does not sun.

This "acceptable" practice, has resulted in homocide charges being laid, showing that in fact it is not acceptable at all.

Also, can you provide any examples of anyone being taken taken to court for spanking their child?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:17 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Campbells, once again your are talking from where the sun does not sun.
Yes, this is true. New Zealand does not exactly boast the most sunny climate.

This "acceptable" practice, has resulted in homocide charges being laid, showing that in fact it is not acceptable at all.
In this case is what you mean ? Because the ritual went too far and death was the result.

I quote from the article :
“Anglican Maori Church archdeacon Hone says 'lifting ceremonies' were often used to cleanse victims.”

The word often mean anything ?

Also, can you provide any examples of anyone being taken taken to court for spanking their child?
There was a case recently where some woman was interrogated by social services but perhaps you didn’t see that one?

Of course the hot topic of the coutry for several months was the "spanking " law that was recently “enforced” against public outcry against it.

But obviously, I just make these things up – in your opinion.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:29 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells

There was a case recently where some woman was interrogated by social services but perhaps you didn’t see that one?
Nope, missed that one, can you provide a reference so I can read about it?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:55 am
Banned

Nope, missed that one, can you provide a reference so I can read about it?

I think I would prefer to stick to the original topic of the post.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:40 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Mate,

give it a break (are you on a personal mission to wind up as many people on this forum as possible)

BTW this sort of thing also happened in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1788452.stm

Last edited by Ted Logan; Nov 11th 2007 at 9:42 am.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Mate,

give it a break (are you on a personal mission to wind up as many people on this forum as possible)

BTW this sort of thing also happened in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1788452.stm
I really don’t think these sorts of topics are wind-up material, particularly when a 22 year old mother of two is dead as a result.

I re-iterate my point – in comparison to the child spanking

The BBC article you refer to involves so called “muti” murders and the article states whether this would be the first in the UK. Having spent many years in Africa I am well aware of what traditions are still practised and in many cases intertwined with so-called religion. Muti murders are the term used for the murder of someone to use their body parts for traditional medicine and potions.

Therefore, I hope that has clarified the fact that I take the matter quite seriously.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:28 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Don't understand what your getting at here.

This action taken by the police is the same action if a child is smacked, both will be looked at.

I don't see how this is being treated as acceptable as police are treating this as a homicide.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand what is the issue?

Is it the law in NZ, or what is acceptable to society?

The law seems pretty straightforward (smacking is now a crime, as is murder or manslaughter).

So that leaves what society thinks, which on the whole can probably be summed up as:
- most of society believes that some smacking is OK
- most of society would think forcing somebody's head under the water against their will as unacceptable.

What is there to discuss???
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:23 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Campbells, I am closing this thread. You seem to be making a habit of posting newspapers snippets about extreme examples of behavior here and in the SA forum and I'm unsure of your reasons. You have been repeatedly asked to stop doing this. If a heated discussion about the topics you have highlighted is your intent then perhaps you would be better posting this sort of thing in Take It Outside