Bank account

Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

rach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant future
Default Bank account

any advice should i set up a bank account before coming to nz and am i able to access english accounts in nz and also nz accounts in uk? also any advice on reputable banks
thanks
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:30 pm
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice
Default Re: Bank account

Originally Posted by rach3
any advice should i set up a bank account before coming to nz and am i able to access english accounts in nz and also nz accounts in uk? also any advice on reputable banks
thanks
Hi there,

Yes do set up an account before you come across. It is usually easier to do it that way for providing things like utility bills with your name and address on and credit history proof etc.

If you register for telephone or internet banking with your UK bank before you come over then its no problem to access English accounts. Preferably bank with someone that offers 24hour banking like first direct, a subsidiary of HSBC. Or another 24 hr. institution.

You can also use your Bank Card over here at an ATM, if it has the Maestro or Cirrus card symbol. However, you will not be able to use your bank card at the eftpos (electronic fund transfer at point of sale) terminals to pay for something by taking money directly from your UK account. You will have to take cash out from the ATM first or use your credit card instead.

I'm not recommending any one over another but I've heard that KiwiBank and Bank of New Zealand are not too bad. There's also ASB and Westpac, try googling for others. Its probably best to look at each Bank's range of products and their charges for operating those products for you.

Remember that NZ Banks charge you for everything, that's account enquiries at a cash machine, withdrawals, standing orders and direct debits etc. etc.

Good luck with your decision
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rach3
thanks
You can (and really should) set up a bank account before you arrive in Nz. We did that with National Bank of New Zealand, they even have a toll free number you can call from the UK. Westpac has a similar service, as do (i think) ASB. You can deposit but cannot withdraw money from your newly setup NZ account until you activate it by going into the NZ bank for the first time to get your ATM card etc.

NBNZ, Westpac and ASB are all good options, ANZ and BNZ are reasonable options too. Kiwibank has had good feedback but is more limited in services they offer and number of outlets.

You are able to access your UK bank accounts from NZ with internet banking, and withdraw money from them via ATMs (for a fee).

Transferring money between UK and NZ can be done by going into the bank and asking for an international transfer, again for a fee.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:41 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I haven't set up an account and it is too late to do it before I leave.
I arrive in Auckland for a week before I head to Wellington into a motel for 3 weeks and then into a rental (hopefully). Will I be able to open an account from my mates address in Auckland or will I have to wait till Welly
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:40 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ned
I arrive in Auckland for a week before I head to Wellington into a motel for 3 weeks and then into a rental (hopefully). Will I be able to open an account from my mates address in Auckland or will I have to wait till Welly
You can set up your account using your mate's address, no problem.

I had to get an account right away after I landed because my employer paid by direct deposit. I was staying in the YMCA on Pitt Street at the time and had zero problem getting an account sorted at the National Bank (chosen 'cos I like their horse brand and the fact that they sponsor the cricket). Should be no problem as long as there is somewhere to send your ATM card.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:10 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can access your UK money in NZ. Some of the banks allow international transfers online – mine (ANZ) certainly does. I had to pay money into my british account for a little while from New Zealand and did that all online. There are charges – at ANZ it is $25 for the fee to do it and whatever your bank charges in the UK. Oh, and your bank will almost certainly charge to receive the funds. Even if it doesn’t normally charge fees

I actually don't have a problem with ANZ but would consider changing to ASB if the need arose. Before Kiwibank, ASB was constantly at the top of polls. Now they are fighting with Kiwibank.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:50 am
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough

I'm currently with NBNZ which was really easy to organise from UK, but now I've been here a little while I'm changing to Westpac. Westpac are currently the only bank that offer Visa Debit Cards ($10 annual fee), so if you ever want to buy anything off the net (ie flights to the UK?! iTunes, book hotels, etc)...you would need to get a credit card if you went with another bank (usually more than $10 annual fee) and I doubt I'd get enough credit for those UK flights anyway!!!! I've found not having a switch card a bit frustrating really. Westpac fees seem a tiny bit cheaper than NBNZ too, me and OH have a joint account and have found flat-fees work better for us. I think Wespac have a cheap internet banking option too (can you tell I've been doing my research-I'm such a geek!!)
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
I'd wait until Welly if I were you or the cards etc will be arriving as you are changing address and location. You can easily use UK cards to get money out of NZ ATMs.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:56 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac are currently the only bank that offer Visa Debit Cards ($10 annual fee),
Good to know

Any idea if you can get an account from the UK with these guys?

Tan
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Good to know

Any idea if you can get an account from the UK with these guys?

Tan
http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/o...pen+an+account

if the link doesnt work, you can find it under the "moving to New Zealand" bit under life's journey on Westpac's homepage.

I didnt read through all the documents, I didnt want to spoil your fun
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:49 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt read through all the documents, I didnt want to spoil your fun
Cheers