Which bank?

Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Which bank?

Notwithstanding the current thread on Westpac, I wonder if anyone has found any great difference between the main banks in terms of offers etc for first time buyers or special assistance? I have corresponded with ANZ, ASB and Westpac but none seem to offer very much in terms of help. At the end of the day they are all 'banks' so I don't expect a lot but any views would be useful.

Ta
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice
Default Re: Which bank?

They're all in it to make money of course, but I've banked with Westpac for the last few years and never had any major issues (IMO it's unfair to judge Westpac on the whole fixed-mortgage penalty issue, when pretty much all the banks are the same!).

Before that I was with Kiwibank, who were good for personal accounts, just not so good when it came to more complex business accounts...

Matt
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice

Hi Rock Ape,
All I can say to this is that I had an account with Westpac, and they were very helpful and they keep in touch with you. As when I opened an account for my wages to go in they advised me to open a savings account as well, and when my wages went in and if they thought there was too much money in my normal account they would phone me up and ask if I would like to transfer some funds to the savings and get the intrest on it.

So I hope this helps

Regards
Stan
Per Ardua
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rockape
Hi Rock Ape,
All I can say to this is that I had an account with Westpac, and they were very helpful and they keep in touch with you. As when I opened an account for my wages to go in they advised me to open a savings account as well, and when my wages went in and if they thought there was too much money in my normal account they would phone me up and ask if I would like to transfer some funds to the savings and get the intrest on it.

So I hope this helps

Regards
Stan
Per Ardua
Thanks guys - thats all very encouraging. In my experience (France & UK) banks tend to be only as good as the staff in their local branch but obviously there are exceptions!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

We bank with Westpac and so far they have been brilliant, staff very friendly,seem to deal with things quickly and efficiently.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

We bank with National Bank of NZ - opened our account from the UK, and have to say we have been amazed at their customer service (although I think compared to the UK banks, you could say the same about all NZ banks).

I get phone calls when large sums get paid in, & when our house deposit money went out.

Also, their staff at the branches can't do enough to help.

Sorry - probably confused you even more by adding another variable into the mix.

Do you know where you'll be living yet? If so, check which have branches in that area,

Lou
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:14 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We have our 'normal' bank account with the ASB who are absolutely wonderful, extremely helpful and friendly

Our savings account is with westpac ( we wanted it somewhere separate!) and they were also wonderful, the second time! The first time we went we were there for over an hour discussing what type of savings account would be the right one etc etc - but the lady got it wrong and the account wasn't what we wanted - we went back and saw a different lady who was brilliant - got immediately what we were looking for and sorted it all out.

SO both are really good - I have found the banking experience here so much better than the UK, it seems much more personal. We do live in a small place but when DH goes into the branch he's greeted by his first name. It's all very nice.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have opened an account with Westpac and they have been really helpful so far. The staff are very friendly and everything is dealt with quickly and efficiently. So far, so good.

Moomoo
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all

We use Bank of New Zealand--they had the easiest account to set up from overseas. Just fill out the form, fax it (or email) with passport and another ID and it's done. So easy.
The Christchurch branch has been fabulous. Very helpful.
All my accounts get interest.
I have 10 accounts for $10 a month. So OH has his own account. I have my own account. We have a savings account. The kids each have a savings account. I ran out of reasons to open accounts before I ran out of accounts.
Their internet banking is fabulous--I can move money around in all the accounts. And it is much more secure than my internet banking in the US. I have an encryption card--which is so cool. I feel like I saved up cereal box tops to get this card!!
I don't know about the other banks but I love BNZ!